Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade and Y fare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Upgrade and Y fare

Greetings,

So bought Y fare on my next SEA - ATL - SJO. I saw my ATL - SJO got upgraded right away, but my SEA - ATL is not even though there are 10 - 12 seats available in business.

Is there a reason for this? I thought Y fare would bump me up if there was room?

-ok
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
There has to be upgrade inventory available, not just open seats. They probably just haven't released UG inventory yet, and are hoping that they'll sell all the seats.

When they release RU inventory, you'll be at the top of the list to get it. And if DL doesn't release any advance inventory, then you'll still be at the top of the list when you get to the gate (assuming they don't sell out the F cabin).
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Ahh, ok, thanks!. Same happened last week and yes, I was on top of the list and got the upgrade. Hopefully that will happen next week too.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
There has to be upgrade inventory available, not just open seats. They probably just haven't released UG inventory yet, and are hoping that they'll sell all the seats.

When they release RU inventory, you'll be at the top of the list to get it. And if DL doesn't release any advance inventory, then you'll still be at the top of the list when you get to the gate (assuming they don't sell out the F cabin).
Not quite at the top IIRC. Upgrade requests with SWUs/GUCs/RUCs (or miles before the gate) would be higher priority than a DM on a full Y fare, although these come from different inventory buckets before all open seats are released for upgrades.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not quite at the top IIRC. Upgrade requests with SWUs/GUCs/RUCs (or miles before the gate) would be higher priority than a DM on a full Y fare, although these come from different inventory buckets before all open seats are released for upgrades.
Also any other diamonds on a Y fare who requested upgrades prior to the OP.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Ok yes. I should've said "near the top" of the list. Not literally #1 on the list at all times.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by gooselee
Ok yes. I should've said "near the top" of the list. Not literally #1 on the list at all times.
lol

Well, last time I flew Y, I was #1 of 72 from SLC to ATL and got the upgrade.

As lame as it was, I enjoyed being that high on that long of a list. I need a life...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adam1080
lol

Well, last time I flew Y, I was #1 of 72 from SLC to ATL and got the upgrade.

As lame as it was, I enjoyed being that high on that long of a list. I need a life...
Not gonna lie - since I hit PM, it's kind of nice the times that I check in early and I'm at #1 and stay there...or maybe just drop to somewhere in the top 5.

Wasn't too long ago that I was FO, checking in at exactly T-24 to get my EC seats. Then I'd get excited to be #1 or #2, only to watch my name drop down further every time I looked at the UG list again...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
I thought Y fare would bump me up if there was room?
If only that's how it worked. This DM recently bought a Y fare and ended up in a middle seat in economy.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Also any other diamonds on a Y fare who requested upgrades prior to the OP.
Plus possibly the DM on Y with the DL AMEX card...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by monsrt
Plus possibly the DM on Y with the DL AMEX card...
That too, but only for the Reserve card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.