Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ULDB65
Just got off LAX-PVG, seat 7L. Comfy seat, private, great sleep, PJ's available. Personal, professional and attentive service. Food fine, nothing special. See's candies after dinner we're nice...
But bring your own twin-plug headset or earbuds, as theirs are in terrible shape.
That was my seat also. Agree with everything you said.
And the PVG connection was no worse than NRT or ICN.

I'm already looking forward to my return trip.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22
That was my seat also. Agree with everything you said.
And the PVG connection was no worse than NRT or ICN.

I'm already looking forward to my return trip.
I really thought the restaurant selection in the terminal was far, far worse than NRT or ICN. And the lounge wasn't so great either. But I'd still fly them again, for the price.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I really thought the restaurant selection in the terminal was far, far worse than NRT or ICN. And the lounge wasn't so great either. But I'd still fly them again, for the price.
Apart from HKG, I don't know of a single airport in China that has acceptable restaurants or lounges.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:54 pm Reason: sorry, moondog - wrong button
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I remember the joy of finding a concourse at Shenzhen that had a lower level food court with both a McDonald's and KFC (and free wifi).
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I remember the joy of finding a concourse at Shenzhen that had a lower level food court with both a McDonald's and KFC (and free wifi).
Don't get me started on SZX. The more distant gates are a mile+ from the check-in counters (no exaggeration), and it's necessary to walk past ~300 retail stores en route to them, maybe only 10 of which are restaurants, BUT if you happen to want to buy a wedding dress or Y30,000 bottle of conaque, you're in the right place.

I will say that I discovered the lower level VIP lounges there a few years ago, which are tied to banks and cell phone companies, and tried them out several times (these days, I usually stick with HKG whenever possible). No food to speak of, but they all do check-in, security, and drive you straight to the plane.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Love NRT sushi spot! However PVG is lacking.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Love NRT sushi spot! However PVG is lacking.
I haven't eaten in an airport in like forever. So, never noticed restaurants.
My goal when i travel to to eat less, the longer the flight, as it reduces my jetlag.

Last edited by wxman22; Nov 9, 2018 at 8:05 pm Reason: explanation added
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
It took 26 minutes on hold but I got through to MU's US phone number and reserved seats for a December trip -- JFK-PVG-TPE-PVG-LAX. 3 of the four flights are on 1-2-1 planes, PVG-TPE is 2-2-2.
Also asked to add my DL SM number and the agent responded that it was already in and read it to me. Either passed to the ticket by Expedia or got in when I entered it through the Garuda www site.
Let's see if it holds.
Hoping online checkin will work as I fly DCA-JFK on DL to position and will have to head over to T1. I let my Diamond SM membership lapse this year rather than using one of my extras for it. The MU flight departs from T1 so it looks like the AF or the KAL lounges are available. Never been to the KAL lounge but have some good memories of the AF lounge.

Last edited by mot29; Nov 10, 2018 at 8:35 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mot29
It took 26 minutes on hold but I got through to MU's US phone number and reserved seats for a December trip -- JFK-PVG-TPE-PVG-LAX. 3 of the four flights are on 1-2-1 planes, PVG-TPE is 2-2-2.
Also asked to add my DL SM number and the agent responded that it was already in and read it to me. Either passed to the ticket by Expedia or got in when I entered it through the Garuda www site.
Let's see if it holds.
Hoping online checkin will work as I fly DCA-JFK on DL to position and will have to head over to T1. I let my Diamond SM membership lapse this year rather than using one of my extras for it. The MU flight departs from T1 so it looks like the AF or the KAL lounges are available. Never been to the KAL lounge but have some good memories of the AF lounge.
The FF number seemed to stick when entered on the GA site without further action on my part for my most recent trip. The one exception was a Shanghai Airlines operated flight; if checking in with FM, keep a close eye on your boarding pass and make sure it prints with the correct FF number...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22
I haven't eaten in an airport in like forever. So, never noticed restaurants.
My goal when i travel to to eat less, the longer the flight, as it reduces my jetlag.
Great sushi is great sushi though. Love a layover at NRT.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Let's see if it holds.
I had to do the same thing the first time I booked MU. Today, though, I was able to use the MU website to reserve seats. Both reservations were made through Expedia and both times MU sent a confirmation email. And the seats stuck last year.

As far as the lounge at JFK, when I flew last year, we were directed to the Alitalia lounge. It sucked but was better than the terminal. Of course we flew economy so your results may vary.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
I had to do the same thing the first time I booked MU. Today, though, I was able to use the MU website to reserve seats. Both reservations were made through Expedia and both times MU sent a confirmation email. And the seats stuck last year.

As far as the lounge at JFK, when I flew last year, we were directed to the Alitalia lounge. It sucked but was better than the terminal. Of course we flew economy so your results may vary.
MU currently uses the AF lounge at JFK for J & F passengers. You won’t have complimentary access to the KE or AZ lounges unless they happen to be PP lounges and you have a membership.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03

MU currently uses the AF lounge at JFK for J & F passengers. You won’t have complimentary access to the KE or AZ lounges unless they happen to be PP lounges and you have a membership.
Right, I thought that is how it should have been for STE+ and J/F but they directed us to the AZ lounge. The skyteam website states that it should only be AF when flying MU...KE was angry when we attempted entrance. Any more I think people just point and guide because most travelers have no idea where they are going.

It became even more apparent when we entered the MU lounge at PVG. Mrs SouthernCanada and I don't exactly dress like premium passengers and we are even more stereotyped as we are late 20s/early 30s. Its always hilarious when the airport employees realize that both of us are DM and in fact do know where we are going.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FSUnole03

Thanks FSUnole03 and SouthernCanada for the lounge pointers. I do have PP so that gives me access to the KAL lounge at JFK T1 and according to the ST lounge finder, STE+ gets me into the AF lounge at T1.
Just hoping to get the MU boarding pass online so that I won't have to wait until MU opens checkin at JFK T1. I have about an 8 hour layover at JFK. Since I arrive at T4, I think I can use PP for the Wingtips Lounge before heading over to T1.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Thanks FSUnole03 and SouthernCanada for the lounge pointers. I do have PP so that gives me access to the KAL lounge at JFK T1 and according to the ST lounge finder, STE+ gets me into the AF lounge at T1.
Just hoping to get the MU boarding pass online so that I won't have to wait until MU opens checkin at JFK T1. I have about an 8 hour layover at JFK. Since I arrive at T4, I think I can use PP for the Wingtips Lounge before heading over to T1.
I wasn't able to check-in online last year. If you can, you have better luck than I do. If you really have that much time at JFK, go get dinner in the city. You should be able to find a hotel that will hold your bags. Then when you actually do board to fly, you'll sleep on the first leg. Last year wife and I flew in 70A and 70C. We had close to 2 hours of sleep over the course of the previous 36 hours. I slept near 12 hours of the JFK - PVG flight with zero help from drugs. I'm sure you will have zero issue with the lie flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.