Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Clubs -- what will May 1 and beyond really be like??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Clubs -- what will May 1 and beyond really be like??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Want to eliminate lap babies, too? They breathe air on the plane!

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The solution should be simple. If it breathes, it pays.
What about my robot friends?

(But seriously, 100% agree.)
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I also find the current policy unfair. I rarely guest anyone in, and if I want to, it's usually when I am with three or four clients. On those rare occasions I want to guest everyone in, I will be stuck paying to guest anyone in after the first 2 adults, while someone that is travelling with their spouse and six kids can guest in all for no charge. There was once at DTW where I saw a guy with four college aged kids, and two must of been his own and the other two their girlfriend/boyfriend and he was able to guest all four of the "kids" and the wife in with him am ex card, and they must have been over 21 because upstairs all four of them were drinking, yet if I want to guest in three clients as a paid skyclub member, I am expected to pay for the third.

I've always seen the dragons guest in people adult kids and their grandkids and I know someone that is able to guest his sister and brother in law and their kids in.

I agree give 10 or 20 passes a year. If someone wants to guest in their wife and four kids, make them use four passes regardless of age. And it would be nice if they would allow members to turn in their unused passes for luxury bar drinks if they didn't want to guest people in.

I think it's absurd that people can bring in their kids who are under 2 for free.
Sorry. Have to chime in here. Is it really necessary to keep referring to the DL staff at the SC's as "dragons". Personally I have never had an issue with any of them. In fact they have been nothing but polite and helpful when I have needed assistance.
Regarding the SC's access. It would be nice to be able to bring Mrs.Dr. JPCAG and our four little ones into the club without any fees. I do have the option of skyclub passes either through the Skybonus program or as PM/DM selections so i am quite content with all of the changes.

Just my two cents.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JPCAG
...Is it really necessary to keep referring to the DL staff at the SC's as "dragons"?
It's really a term of endearment. It's not meant to be an insult -- at least not when I use it. It's a humorous reference to the figurative "moat dragon" who guards the castle in fairy tales.

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Just my $.02 but the term dragon isn't really derogatory. Just a general if not somewhat affectionate term for the lounge agents.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
Lap babies cost extra on international flights - no one flies for free.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I noted that earlier (in my parenthetical comment). But the question remains a valid one: Should we eliminate lap babies on domestic flights?

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Yes, I noted that earlier (in my parenthetical comment). But the question remains a valid one: Should we eliminate lap babies on domestic flights?

Bruce
I am surprised carriers haven't started charging for lap children yet, for extra revenue. When I fly with my cats I have to pay an ABSURD fee and they aren't taking up a seat, PLUS I have to give up a piece of luggage.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if carriers start charging a fee for lap children and if they start charging for babies and pets to come into the sky club.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Bruce
I would say yes. Babies are not weightless so they will contribute to a higher fuel burn however negligible that may be. They also probably take up more room in the overheads with diaper bags and such.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say yes. Babies are not weightless so they will contribute to a higher fuel burn however negligible that may be. They also probably take up more room in the overheads with diaper bags and such.
Ah, but if we charge for lap babies, then more people will drive. Driving is much more dangerous than flying, so some tiny number of those babies will die in car accidents. This part is really not debatable. It's simply a fact.

As a society, do we benefit from allowing free lap babies? I think that we do. Obviously, the same logic does not apply to Sky Clubs.

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Doesn't a diaper bag count as a carry on if it's a lap held infant? When I fly with a pet, in addition to the absurd fee, the cat counts as my carryon, which makes no sense. The cat is going under the seat in front of me, not taking up any room. If anything I should be allowed to carry on an extra bag seeing the fee I am paying.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Might I suggest your non-SkyKlurb related sub-topic be moved to a dedicated thread? Perhaps even one of the forums you moderate @:-)

Bruce

Bruce
Ah, but if we charge for lap babies, then more people will drive. Driving is much more dangerous than flying, so some tiny number of those babies will die in car accidents. This part is really not debatable. It's simply a fact.

As a society, do we benefit from allowing free lap babies? I think that we do. Obviously, the same logic does not apply to Sky Clubs.

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, enough off-topic discussion.

Bruce
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
The solution should be simple. If it breathes, it pays.
+1...a great suggestion, but once, again, too many people will scream that there should be an exception for them for whatever reason. As someone suggested upstream, just give each Medallion member a certain number of guest passes per year and that's it.

Also, how much does DL really want to thin the herd in the SCs? Isn't there money to be made by DL selling premium liquor and beer? Does DL really want to lose revenue by "overthinning" the crowds in the SCs?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1...a great suggestion, but once, again, too many people will scream that there should be an exception for them for whatever reason.
They can scream all they like, preferably down by the Spirit Airlines gates where I'm sure a lot of screaming goes on. I still stand by my solution that if you can fog a mirror you must pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.