Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Clubs -- what will May 1 and beyond really be like??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Clubs -- what will May 1 and beyond really be like??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
When traveling with my family, I bring my kids in. They are not the run around and loud type and are no harm to anyone and I have paid my membership fee as a Lifer. If there is really that much heartburn for kids, maybe suggesting that Delta make a closed off family friendly area like the AA Flagship lounge in ORD (sealed off behind a wall of glass with things for things for the kids to do, movies to watch, toys, etc.) would be a great idea. Some elites travel w/ kids and still want to be away from the public so this concept has worked well for me the few times I have used it. Just a thought. I, personally, don't think that I should have to pay additional for my kids, small or teens, because some of us don't travel that often with them and that is what I signed on board for in the first place.
I have no problem with you bringing in your kids as long as it is only TWO of them. If you have more than two kids or want to bring your spouse in as well then it's time to buy some day passes.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I have no problem with you bringing in your kids as long as it is only TWO of them. If you have more than two kids or want to bring your spouse in as well then it's time to buy some day passes.

+1...no problem here either....just pony up like other folks and pay for more than two.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:45 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Just a thought. I, personally, don't think that I should have to pay additional for my kids, small or teens, because some of us don't travel that often with them and that is what I signed on board for in the first place.
I could make the same statement about spouse, business associates or friends. they all occupy space and use the amenities so they should be treated equal.

I agree with the separate room - the Centurion Lounges have that. It makes it better for everyone as it is a glass room with toys designed for children - most of whom are not interested in the latest issue of Sky magazine for entertainment.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, Southwest Companion Pass
I don't know about everyone else, but my use of he SkyClub is down dramatically since pre-check came on line. No need to show up at the airport so early. I much prefer time at home vs. time at the SkyClub.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bfranzetta
I don't know about everyone else, but my use of he SkyClub is down dramatically since pre-check came on line. No need to show up at the airport so early. I much prefer time at home vs. time at the SkyClub.
That's great right up until you have a connection or are carpooling with coworkers that haven't smartened up to Pre yet.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1...no problem here either....just pony up like other folks and pay for more than two.
That's all fine and good that you two have no problem with two but the policy is "spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age" for Executive Members.

Executive members have already ponied up in one capacity or another.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsbh
That's all fine and good that you two have no problem with two but the policy is "spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age" for Executive Members.

That may be but it is still in very poor taste. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I pay the same price for an executive membership as some guy who is able to bring in his 12 kids. He is obviously receiving more value from his membership than I am.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jsbh

Pointing at the current policy is a bit of a flawed argument in a discussion about various ways in which people would like the policy to change.

I agree that what you quoted is the current policy, and thus the people it applies to currently have every right to bring in their spouse/partner and children. However, I do not like it. I wish the policy were something like this:
"Every individual entering the club must have their own form of access via same-day travel on an eligible itinerary, club membership, day pass, or affiliate credit card."

Then make all the memberships individual only, and allow people with memberships to purchase guest day passes at $50 for 5 passes or something which they can use to "enhance" their membership with guest access to whatever degree is appropriate for them (and tie the passes to entrance with them so they can't be sold on eBay). If one person wants to buy 10 passes to have access for their spouse and 4 kids for one RT, great. If someone else wants to buy 10 passes to use one at a time with coworkers across a year, equally fine.

For folks grandfathered in with old lifetime memberships or the current Executive membership somehow - just give them 10 or 20 guest passes/year to use as they see fit.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When traveling with my family, I bring my kids in. They are not the run around and loud type and are no harm to anyone and I have paid my membership fee as a Lifer. If there is really that much heartburn for kids, maybe suggesting that Delta make a closed off family friendly area like the AA Flagship lounge in ORD (sealed off behind a wall of glass with things for things for the kids to do, movies to watch, toys, etc.) would be a great idea. Some elites travel w/ kids and still want to be away from the public so this concept has worked well for me the few times I have used it. Just a thought. I, personally, don't think that I should have to pay additional for my kids, small or teens, because some of us don't travel that often with them and that is what I signed on board for in the first place.
[BOLD added]

Some elites travel without kids and (still) want to be away from (other people's) kids.....
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:14 pm

That may be but it is still in very poor taste. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I pay the same price for an executive membership as some guy who is able to bring in his 12 kids. He is obviously receiving more value from his membership than I am.
and you fault him for that?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by gooselee
Pointing at the current policy is a bit of a flawed argument in a discussion about various ways in which people would like the policy to change.

I agree that what you quoted is the current policy, and thus the people it applies to currently have every right to bring in their spouse/partner and children. However, I do not like it. I wish the policy were something like this:
"Every individual entering the club must have their own form of access via same-day travel on an eligible itinerary, club membership, day pass, or affiliate credit card."

Then make all the memberships individual only, and allow people with memberships to purchase guest day passes at $50 for 5 passes or something which they can use to "enhance" their membership with guest access to whatever degree is appropriate for them (and tie the passes to entrance with them so they can't be sold on eBay). If one person wants to buy 10 passes to have access for their spouse and 4 kids for one RT, great. If someone else wants to buy 10 passes to use one at a time with coworkers across a year, equally fine.

For folks grandfathered in with old lifetime memberships or the current Executive membership somehow - just give them 10 or 20 guest passes/year to use as they see fit.
I also find the current policy unfair. I rarely guest anyone in, and if I want to, it's usually when I am with three or four clients. On those rare occasions I want to guest everyone in, I will be stuck paying to guest anyone in after the first 2 adults, while someone that is travelling with their spouse and six kids can guest in all for no charge. There was once at DTW where I saw a guy with four college aged kids, and two must of been his own and the other two their girlfriend/boyfriend and he was able to guest all four of the "kids" and the wife in with him am ex card, and they must have been over 21 because upstairs all four of them were drinking, yet if I want to guest in three clients as a paid skyclub member, I am expected to pay for the third.

I've always seen the dragons guest in people adult kids and their grandkids and I know someone that is able to guest his sister and brother in law and their kids in.

I agree give 10 or 20 passes a year. If someone wants to guest in their wife and four kids, make them use four passes regardless of age. And it would be nice if they would allow members to turn in their unused passes for luxury bar drinks if they didn't want to guest people in.

I think it's absurd that people can bring in their kids who are under 2 for free.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I also find the current policy unfair. I rarely guest anyone in, and if I want to, it's usually when I am with three or four clients. On those rare occasions I want to guest everyone in, I will be stuck paying to guest anyone in after the first 2 adults, while someone that is travelling with their spouse and six kids can guest in all for no charge. There was once at DTW where I saw a guy with four college aged kids, and two must of been his own and the other two their girlfriend/boyfriend and he was able to guest all four of the "kids" and the wife in with him am ex card, and they must have been over 21 because upstairs all four of them were drinking, yet if I want to guest in three clients as a paid skyclub member, I am expected to pay for the third.

I've always seen the dragons guest in people adult kids and their grandkids and I know someone that is able to guest his sister and brother in law and their kids in.

I agree give 10 or 20 passes a year. If someone wants to guest in their wife and four kids, make them use four passes regardless of age. And it would be nice if they would allow members to turn in their unused passes for luxury bar drinks if they didn't want to guest people in.

I think it's absurd that people can bring in their kids who are under 2 for free.
Excellent point! Those 18 month olds are always taking up all the good seats at the bar and eating all the snacks!

Even Disney doesn't charge for 2 year olds...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
DL - please unbundle the clubs ASAP, and add value for those of us that pay or who bought in. Right now my wife won't go in thinking it much worse in MSP and also ATL than buying lunch and drinks outside.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emrdoc
and you fault him for that?
I fault the individual and Delta. I fault Delta for making the unfair policy and the individual for the rude actions of bringing in more than two individuals. The policy should be that you only get to bring in two more individuals with your executive membership. None of the spouse/child combo. If you can afford to raise so many kids then you can afford the day passes.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: SQ
There will still be a million DMs from 7-9am and 4-7pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.