Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for surviving a 16 hour flight in coach?

Suggestions for surviving a 16 hour flight in coach?

Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
As I posted earlier, I also tend not to sleep the night before an international flight; I'm 71. Some people can tolerate sleep deficits better than others.
Nice! I would also say then you are relatively young despite being 71. I always feel like I'm going to miss out on something when I sleep which is why I don't need as much sleep.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta FO
These are all great suggestions. A huge thank you to everyone. I purchased a Thermarest pillow to sit on, and I think that will make a big difference. I'll load up my laptop with movies and shows and just try to make the best of it. I'm in row 31 on both flights, but the Delta.com seat map says that there is a row 29 and 30 in front of it. I guess that info is inaccurate? Hopefully, I lucked out and row 31 will be good to me.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:26 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Have one drink every few hours and you should be good (as try to get a buzz and not drunk)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
These are all great suggestions. A huge thank you to everyone. I purchased a Thermarest pillow to sit on, and I think that will make a big difference. I'll load up my laptop with movies and shows and just try to make the best of it. I'm in row 31 on both flights, but the Delta.com seat map says that there is a row 29 and 30 in front of it. I guess that info is inaccurate? Hopefully, I lucked out and row 31 will be good to me.
My advice to you is to ensure your comfort as much as possible.

I have traveled on many long-haul flights internationally in a seat in the economy class cabin; and I ensured that I either kept busy or napped when I was really tired — and I do not usually sleep well on an airplane.

For me, this means that I need the following to keep me occupied:
  • Music — I have a special collection of songs on my personal electronic device to which I listen as a passenger during a flight
  • Puzzles and games — I enjoy keeping my mind active with crossword puzzles and electronic games on my personal electronic device
  • Eating — and as opposed to others who recommend not eating as much as usual, I eat normally if not more, if offered to me aboard the aircraft
  • Drinking — plenty of water, orange juice and an occasional carbonated beverage such as a cola
  • Window seat — looking out the window can entertain me for hours, night or day
  • In-flight magazine — There is always something of interest to read in one
  • Get up and walk around the aircraft — you need your exercise
  • In-flight entertainment system — if the aircraft is equipped with one, it is a good supplement to what is on my personal electronic device

Additionally, I will also drift into thought — such as things I need to do and thinking about what has already happened recently in my life — and I may even write them down on paper. This can also include work that I would not ordinarily be able to do at home.

Believe it or not, all of this can keep me occupied on a long-haul international flight — and without drugs or alcoholic beverages.

I suppose it helps that I have always enjoyed flying as a passenger on an international flight...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Don't try to sleep through the entire flight if you are arriving in the evening or you will be up all night and sleep all day.

I prefer aisle so its easier to get up to stretch and go to the bathroom. Especially if one is going to be downing a ton of water. Only do window if you have an extremely strong bladder.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Don't try to sleep through the entire flight if you are arriving in the evening or you will be up all night and sleep all day.
Good advice.

I always adjust myself to the local time of wherever I am traveling...

...and since I learned to master that, I never suffer from “jet lag.”
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:55 pm

------

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL GE
Nasal strips and or saline.. It is dry up there!
Something to keep your hands busy, a stress ball perhaps.

Nope, can't do 16 hours. I would be the one in the lav eating cigarettes and sobbing on the floor..
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Nope, can't do 16 hours. I would be the one in the lav eating cigarettes and sobbing on the floor..
LOL! I do believe this image will sustain me on my next long-haul in steerage
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by pbjag
I use/highly recommend a homeopathic remedy called Calms Forte, by Hyland's.
Ummm, you do realise that homeopathy is just water, right?

Ripping off the ignorant like this really shouldn't be allowed.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
I have never flown international Y. However these rules should still apply:

1. Buy a large bottle of water. Drink at least 8oz each hour
2. Do not drink more than one alcoholic beverage in an 8 hour period
3. Apply a good eye balm and facial moisturizer before boarding. Halfway through the flight, wash your face, use Aveda Botanical Kinetics Toning Mist, apply eye balm and facial moisturizer. Before landing repeat
4. Eat no more than half the food they put in front of you. Airline food is full of fat and sodium. Eat the salad, fruit, vegetable and protein. Avoid carbs like potatoes, bread, pasta. Avoid the dessert
5. Pack low fat, low sodium desserts
6. As others have said, prepare yourself mentally
7. Noice canceling headphones. Watch a movie, listen to music
8. Read a book you've been meaning to read
9. Dress comfortably. Light layers. Eye shades
10. Disinfecting wipes for to clean hard surfaces, e.g., tray tables and flushable personal wipes... for a fresher feeling than dry toilet paper alone
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
I have never flown international Y. However....
Man, are people on this forum that soft?

I'm Australian, so I fly 12-16 hour flights in economy all the time.

The trick is: don't think of it as a long flight. Think of it as an all-night movie marathon with free booze.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:27 pm

IME, particularly if you are going TATL from the US, it is really important to get as much sleep as possible on the flight. Otherwise you can be wasted for several days. Different things work for different people. The pills haven't worked for me, and I didn't like the side effects of Ambien. So my current procedure is some wine plus something like Nyquil. Of course, this is just what works for me and should not be construed as any medical advice. Your experience may vary. Have a good trip, but I would do almost anything possible to stay out of coach.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:42 pm

Interestingly, it is not the long-haul or short-haul flights that get to me.

I find that the ones which are anywhere between three to six hours in duration the most “unbearable” — for lack of a better word — as they almost always seem to take longer than they should...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Interestingly, it is not the long-haul or short-haul flights that get to me.

I find that the ones which are anywhere between three to six hours in duration the most “unbearable” — for lack of a better word — as they almost always seem to take longer than they should...
Agreed. Being based in LA, I think I dread the LAX-JFK in coach most of all....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.