Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta allow transporting desktop PCs? How can I do it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Hey, so my situation is that I only have 800$ in my bank account (I'm a student) and it costs too much to ship my desktop PC (California --> Florida is 200$), and I move every 4-5 months between the two. I get Delta flights free, because my dad worked there for 30 years (He's no longer around so I can't ask him). So it's most feasible to ship through that, and my desktop isn't worth much (~400$ in itself).

Anyway, I was wondering if Delta even allows desktop PCs as luggage (I couldn't find anything on their page). If they do, what would be the best way to go about keeping it fairly protected? And yes, I do know there's a substantial risk regardless.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:14 am
Suspended

What's a desktop PC?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
What's a desktop PC?
Want a desktop PC buy a desktop PC.

But the answer is yes you can. Even as a carry on (probably preferred way) just make sure you take it out of the bag for security screening. If it's worth more than 3000 (domestic only) and you check it get extra insurance because it will probably be stolen.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

It's actually a monitor and a desktop (so unlike a laptop, the parts are all contained in a large case).

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Want a desktop PC buy a desktop PC.

But the answer is yes you can. Even as a carry on (probably preferred way) just make sure you take it out of the bag for security screening. If it's worth more than 3000 (domestic only) and you check it get extra insurance because it will probably be stolen.

Yeah, it's 7 years old. It's worth less than it would cost to ship twice via ground (It's worth ~400$.)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:40 am

1. Have you looked at Delta Cargo/Delta Dash? I've used that before with pretty good results, rates look pretty good. Perhaps your father's employee benefits extend to that? Delta Dash is quoting $93 for 51-70 pounds, about $70 for under 50.
2. Otherwise, I'd get a DL Amex, pack it up (retail packaging, if available would seem to be the best option to me), and check it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard
It's actually a monitor and a desktop (so unlike a laptop, the parts are all contained in a large case).

Yeah, it's 7 years old. It's worth less than it would cost to ship twice via ground (It's worth ~400$.)
Say what? You have a monitor, a keyboard, a CPU box and a mouse.

If it's a Windows XP machine, you should think about replacing it particularly if you use it on net, ya I know that takes money.

<lol>
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have checked in a monitor and workstation in the past. Delta will take no responsibility for any damage or theft. As such, get some additional liability insurance when you check it.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
+1 to the advice above... DL will accept it, but assume no liability for it, so any risk of damage or theft (and there is risk, especially of damage) would be yours. Pack it well.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have checked in a monitor and workstation in the past. Delta will take no responsibility for any damage or theft.
I am pretty sure they can't waive their liability for theft.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I know your question is about how to transport your desktop PC, but what do you use a 7 year old PC for that requires you to still keep it?

It obviously costs some money, but a modest Chromebook can be had for $200-$300 and would be much easier to transport. If you move 2-3 times a year, that should pay for itself in just a couple years after checked bag fees, packing materials, and general headache of packing and moving your desktop.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
If you're checking it, just make sure it is sufficiently padded to handle being thrown around (assume it will be thrown around). If it's an All-in-One type design or an unmodified desktop from a manufacturer, it'll probably be fine if packed well (since they're usually made to be shipped).

When I've transported desktops in the past (back before I had a laptop), I carried it on (didn't want to check, built it myself and didn't trust it being thrown around). Since it was a tower, I just did a basic cardboard layer around it with good string around it and the cardboard from disposable pants hangars as a handle. Never had any issues, although that was before the current age of security, but I never had any issues getting it onto the plane and putting it in the overhead.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Yes it can be checked.

Since you say you only check it because it's free when using your non-rev benefits; under those rules, checking it means zero liability for damage or total loss, like all other items.

I echo the unsolicited advice to move on to a netbook/laptop/tablet/smartphone with equal or greater capabilities.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by dc333
Yes it can be checked.

Since you say you only check it because it's free when using your non-rev benefits; under those rules, checking it means zero liability for damage or total loss, like all other items.

I echo the unsolicited advice to move on to a netbook/laptop/tablet/smartphone with equal or greater capabilities.
luggage actually is covered when flying non rev with the same rules as a revene passenger. the only different is that they don't compensate for delayed baggage or deliver it when it finally arrives.

but I wouldn't try taking a desktop PC on a plane. if anything just sell your current PC on Craigslist and buy another of equal value where you're going.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard
... Yeah, it's 7 years old. It's worth less than it would cost to ship twice via ground (It's worth ~400$.)
Don't take this wrong, but it is not worth $400.

People are trashing these so fast that you really should shop around to see if you can get something (box and screen) a bit better for a couple hundred.

But if you do try the DL route, be VERY careful about weight.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM

I very much doubt that it's worth $400 for a 7 y/o XP desktop. You can find these things for $150 or less on craigslist.

Anyways, I was in the exact same dilemma as you a month ago. I wanted
to get an ancient 11 y/o XP desktop from FL to OR. I packed it up semi-nicely
with newspapers and some bubble stuff in a Big box.
Couldn't decide DL or Fedex. Finally went Fedex ground for $56 from FL to OR.
Got there without a hitch 5 Bus days later. It fired right up!
The desktop was probably only worth $100 tops, but it has a bunch of my software on it , and now I have another PC at our other house instead of
it just gathering dust here at our primary house.

BTW, you can buy acer laptops all day long for $225 on the interwebs.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.