Search

DL 583 DTW-PVG diverted to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
DL 583 DTW-PVG diverted to Alaska

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ain/6052158/1/

"In case any spotters are interested - DL 583 DTW-PVG had to divert to ANC today due to a medical emergency on board. We (the pax) are being well looked after tonight, and are scheduled to fly onwards tomorrow (Sat. 11) 10:00 AM local time. First time to Alaska for most of us! "

There was an altercation between 2 passengers and one of them was on the floor in a coma and needed medical assistance onboard (oxygen and IV). Upon landing I saw one of them led out in handcuffs.

Everyone was put up in the Hilton with dinner and breakfast buffet and rebooked the following day. Very orderly with no need to wait in line for rebooking, hotels, food vouchers.

I just also received the following unsolicited email from Delta:

"I’d like to send my personal apology for the unscheduled diversion of Flight 583 to Shanghai for a medical emergency on April 10. I’m sure not being able to get to Shanghai as planned was very frustrating. At Delta, we strive to provide professional service, on-time performance and a safe trip to a wide range of destinations. We want to continue to be your first choice when it comes to air travel, and I’m very sorry for the inconvenience.

You’re important to us, and as a goodwill gesture we’ve deposited 15,000 bonus miles to your account. Please allow three business days for the mileage to be posted.

Thank you for continuing to choose Delta. We look forward to seeing you on another Delta flight."
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by anbhc

Everyone was put up in the Hilton with dinner and breakfast buffet and rebooked the following day. Very orderly with no need to wait in line for rebooking, hotels, food vouchers.

I just also received the following unsolicited email from Delta:

"I’d like to send my personal apology for the unscheduled diversion of Flight 583 to Shanghai for a medical emergency on April 10. I’m sure not being able to get to Shanghai as planned was very frustrating. At Delta, we strive to provide professional service, on-time performance and a safe trip to a wide range of destinations. We want to continue to be your first choice when it comes to air travel, and I’m very sorry for the inconvenience.

You’re important to us, and as a goodwill gesture we’ve deposited 15,000 bonus miles to your account. Please allow three business days for the mileage to be posted.

Thank you for continuing to choose Delta. We look forward to seeing you on another Delta flight."
the above is classic Delta style, taking care of the passengers in good order and without delay. Now, if this was United it would have a completing different, disastrous ending. One major reason to avoid UA.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:03 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
the above is classic Delta style, taking care of the passengers in good order and without delay. Now, if this was United it would have a completing different, disastrous ending. One major reason to avoid UA.
You mean like THIS, vis-a-vis United Airlines.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You mean like THIS, vis-a-vis United Airlines.
Ah yes, the Mumbai debacle. UA clearly does not have their act together when it comes to passenger and system recovery. Clearly, Delta cant be blamed for this diversion and subsequent delay, yet they apologize and pro actively deposit 15,000 miles into each members skymiles account. One of the many reasons I still plan on sticking with DL, at least for now.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
"disastrous ending?" that seems like a kind of over-heated term for bad customer service...

Last edited by koreanair720; Apr 11, 2014 at 12:49 pm Reason: tweaked it
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
That story is madness. Was it the altercation that put the person in a coma? Wowza.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by koreanair720
"disastrous ending?" so, what, the plane would have crashed?
Seriously?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

OMG

Well, seems like good news that everyone is safe and taken care of. But, Holy Cow, two passangers duking it out at 30,000 feet. Must have been booze-motivated.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

Seriously?
i was calling out your hyperbole.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anbhc

"In case any spotters are interested - DL 583 DTW-PVG had to divert to ANC today due to a medical emergency on board. We (the pax) are being well looked after tonight, and are scheduled to fly onwards tomorrow (Sat. 11) 10:00 AM local time. First time to Alaska for most of us."
Welcome to Anchorage! I was taking a friend to the airport last night and saw the DL plane at the international terminal and knew there had been a diversion. I spend a couple of minutes trying to figure out which one had been diverted but couldn't figure it out.

Enjoy the time here. The weather has been nice lately, lots of sunshine and not too cold.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Looks like they just left...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL583A
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by koreanair720
i was calling out your hyperbole.
next time send me a PM so I know. I don't read minds.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Oh yes -and why I continue to fly DL ^
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:09 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Wow, one pax knocked another pax into a coma? Where does the assaulting party get charged? Where they landed or the country who's airspace they were in when the fight happened
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by AirTheory
Wow, one pax knocked another pax into a coma? Where does the assaulting party get charged? Where they landed or the country who's airspace they were in when the fight happened
Get the lawyers involved and sue them - whoever they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.