757 TATL -- how is it?

Old Apr 6, 14, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
757 TATL -- how is it?

I have a choice of either flying into MAD or AGP soon from JFK (I know, two good choices), and I'm wondering if the equipment should make a difference. It's a venerable 767 to MAD, and a 757 to AGP. I've never flown a narrow-body across an ocean. Is it noticeably tighter in steerage? Any recommendations on which will provide a more comfortable ride? (FWIW, I LOVE the newly refurbished 767s, had a great ride from SEA to HND last month.)
Old Apr 6, 14, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I'd go with the 767, much more room to walk around, plus you have the 2x seating on either side of the aircraft.
Old Apr 6, 14, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Definitely fly the 767. The seat configuration, with two on either side, is much better than the 757's 3-3 layout.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 6, 14, 7:06 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Good posts so far - but I would go with the 757 if the load factor is less than
3/4s full and the 767 if FULL. 767 may have a few more creature comforts
but if I can have three seats across all to myself that beats 2 seats.
Then again it matters where on the airplane the seats are.

Looks like the OP is going somewhere on the south coast of Spain - so
is AGP (Malaga) better suited as a final destination rather than MAD and
having to take a connecting flight or surface transportation to that final
stop/location ?

As for the narrow body aircraft and the wide body aircraft both are -2-
engine aircraft - both flying almost the same track and distance over water
so no unique differences in that respect.

Another tie breaker would be the difference in fare and upgrade possibility.

Decisions - decisions - decisions ???
Do I take the Red pill or do I take the Blue pill ?
Old Apr 6, 14, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Better IFE on the 767 if that matters at all.
Old Apr 6, 14, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Other than 2-abreast seating by the windows on the 767, there's not a whole lot of difference in coach. All depends on your final destination in Spain - if AGP is more convenient, then I'd just go with the 757. When I did it last summer, immigration in Malaga was a piece of cake...I went from plane seat to train into the city is less than 20 minutes.
Old Apr 6, 14, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer View Post
Other than 2-abreast seating by the windows on the 767, there's not a whole lot of difference in coach. All depends on your final destination in Spain - if AGP is more convenient, then I'd just go with the 757. When I did it last summer, immigration in Malaga was a piece of cake...I went from plane seat to train into the city is less than 20 minutes.
+1 to this. I haven't done a TATL in Y in over two years, but I can't imagine the difference between the two Y products would be worth inconveniencing yourself over on a 6-7 hour flight.
Old Apr 6, 14, 9:03 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The 767 is preferable overall, but I agree with the sentiment that it might not be enough to justify flying into MAD if your actual destination is closer to AGP. Well, unless you want to or have to ride the train.

The 757 is tolerable enough, especially if you're in EC or an exit row.
Old Apr 6, 14, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
If on the 757 you can get the bulk head exit row or, if it is the one with the rear section, the rear bulk head, you will have more leg room than you can get on any coach seat on the 767. However, the bigger planes always feel more comfortable to me.
Old Apr 6, 14, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the ultimate destination, perhaps OP should consider flights into BCN too. Also, for the return flight (assuming RT), check lounge facilities. AGP probably has nothing at the airport. Finally, if OP is renting a car, rates can be very different at different locations and availability of automatics at smaller airports can be more difficult.
Old Apr 7, 14, 12:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
767 will probably be a smoother ride, since it rides out turbulence better than a 757. On the other hand, if you check any luggage, it would be a shorter wait if you take the 757 than the 767.

I would take the 767, given the choice -- especially since I've rarely been able to get the power outlets on the 75Es to actually work.

-J.
Old Apr 7, 14, 3:08 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Depending on the ultimate destination, perhaps OP should consider flights into BCN too. Also, for the return flight (assuming RT), check lounge facilities. AGP probably has nothing at the airport. Finally, if OP is renting a car, rates can be very different at different locations and availability of automatics at smaller airports can be more difficult.
Quite a difference in direction - MAD Central Spain - AGP due south of MAD and close to Seville and Gibraltar - BCN due east of MAD relatively close to France (BCN available non-stop out of JFK)
Interested in the FINAL destination of the OP to best answer the question.
Old Apr 7, 14, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
I'd go with most convenient airport first and if everything else is equal I would take the 767.

On a side note...

It seems most people want to be in the upper deck of the 747 but want no part of a 757 on a short TATL flight. I just don't understand that. The upper deck of the 747 is equivalent to flying on a single-aisle aircraft. If you like the upper deck of the 747 then a 757 should be no problem.
Old Apr 7, 14, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to both Madrid and Malaga, and the order doesn't matter. I looked into doing an open-jaw but it was prohibitively expensive. Hence, I can do an R/T into either. I'll probably go through MAD...
Old Apr 7, 14, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, US Gold
I've done PIT>CDG a couple of times on the 757, and while it was fine, I'd probably go for a 767 given the choice or opportunity.

That said, there's something oddly comforting or novel about waking up over France in the familiar confines of a 75.

Search this Thread