Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cockpit door broke mid flight.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
It's not as if there's a half dozen terrorists waiting on every flight for a chance that the cockpit door might malfunction!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by tanglin
It's not as if there's a half dozen terrorists waiting on every flight for a chance that the cockpit door might malfunction!
Exactly.. I don't see why they would ever divert for this problem. I can see why it would prevent taking off and need to be fixed on the ground, but if it happens in the air, just be careful (as they were) and get to your destination.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I'm young and only flew a few times prior to 9/11. I know the flight deck doors were not as secure as they are now before 9/11 occurred but was there ever a time when the flight deck door was left open during the flight. Maybe before the hijackings of the 70's?
My family and I flew on a Delta MD-88 from JFK-ATL in October 1999, about two years before 9/11. We had a really long taxi out to the runway as there was a lot of fog that day, and I distinctly remember that the pilots/FA's left the flight deck door open during the entire taxi. They closed the door upon making the announcement for the FA's to be seated for takeoff. It was especially cool watching the conga line of departures at JFK in front of us through the cockpit window!

So yes, in some cases, the door was left open, but only during taxi out.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah I remember being on some flights pre 9/11 where the door was left open at various points during the flight. Closed for takeoff, but at cruise when one of the pilots got a coffee or something from an FA, it was left open for a while.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So had a new experience today. Flying JFK-MSP on a MD88, about 40 min to landing the pilot comes out to use the restroom, FAs block the aisle as usual. When he attempts to return to the cockpit the door wont latch behind him, they open and slam it over and over but it wont go. Eventually they have all 3 FAs blocking the front part of the plane, and my seat mate from 3C moved up to 1C who I'm guessing was a FAM or a non rev employee they moved up for backup. After several min they stopped banging the door, and as we were only about 30 min from touch down we did not divert, in fact despite leaving 15 min late we landed early (they floored it to not be up/unsecured much longer?).

Anyone had this happen before? They made no announcement or anything about any issues which didnt surprise me, but curious if anyones had this happen and been diverted.
Yes. What else can be expected when paranoia about terrorists or nuts (if different) is as extensive as it is in the US? It's the same kind of paranoia that has FAs blocking forward lav access even to forward-cabin pre-school children who need assistance from an adult in the bathroom.

At least the cockpit crew didn't divert the plane to some unscheduled airport instead. I wonder if that would be DHS/TSA's suggestion for such events, if asked what to do.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah I remember being on some flights pre 9/11 where the door was left open at various points during the flight. Closed for takeoff, but at cruise when one of the pilots got a coffee or something from an FA, it was left open for a while.
95% of my flying career is post 9/11, but as a kettle flying in the 90s I don't remember a time when the flight deck door was not left open at times during flight.

To the OP, you said 2 FA's remained at the door until landing. Did they stay on guard with the door barricaded until you were at the gate or did some bit of normalcy return?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The odds of a terrorist being aboard any one particular flight are remote. The odds against a terrorist being on a flight which has a broken cockpit door are infinitesimal.

I don't believe the pax had the slightest thing to worry about.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by tanglin
Unless ........ one of those terrorists used to work at Boeing and was on the final assembly line the day that aircraft rolled through. When others went for the morning coffee break he grabbed a stainless steel inverse portal shackle (miniature, of course) from his bag, where he had been secreting it for months awaiting just such an opportunity, set the counter to 27,340 door cycles, installed the device through the latch inspection hatch (first removing the identical but NOT inverse version device from said latch hatch), and quickly covered his tracks. The removed device was placed in plain view in the galley #1 convention oven where a supervisor later noticed it, beneath his breath cursed the worker who had left the remains of a Tully's bagel, and discarded it. All that remained to do was to track the aircraft for 17 years ... and pounce!

Last edited by Pharaoh; Apr 2, 2014 at 7:22 am Reason: Corrected tracking time.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'm surprised they didn't just have one of the F/A's ride in the cockpit jumpseat.

As others have said, it wouldn't be a reason to divert.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
That was my feeling as well. I was watching curiously as it all unfolded, after they seemed to realize they couldnt fully fix it, we began to descend. I figured we were diverting but the pilot came on a few min later to announce we had begun our approach to MSP and would be on the ground in roughly 20 min. Given that we left 15 min late and landed about 15 min early, im guessing they punched it near the end there
I doubt they 'floored' it. Delta pads its schedules these days because no one complains when a plane is early. As pointed out, they may have been given some preference in landing though.

Did anything about the approach seem unusual, or did you go "straight in"?

Bob H
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:32 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Unless ........ one of those terrorists used to work at Boeing and . . . . .
Ya missed April Fool's day by a day!

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
95% of my flying career is post 9/11, but as a kettle flying in the 90s I don't remember a time when the flight deck door was not left open at times during flight.

To the OP, you said 2 FA's remained at the door until landing. Did they stay on guard with the door barricaded until you were at the gate or did some bit of normalcy return?
The two FAs who remained didn't stand "on alert". From my seat I could only see one of them fully and she remained standing to the left of the flight deck door until we started to land and she took the jump seat. The second one was off to the right of her though I could not see his movements, he was in the galley area.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BobH
I doubt they 'floored' it. Delta pads its schedules these days because no one complains when a plane is early. As pointed out, they may have been given some preference in landing though.

Did anything about the approach seem unusual, or did you go "straight in"?

Bob H
Didn't seem out of the ordinary to me. I just assumed they rushed things given at JFK the inbound plane was late arriving so combine a late departure and a early arrival....seemed to me that to make up that much time there must have been some extra speed in there
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm young and only flew a few times prior to 9/11. I know the flight deck doors were not as secure as they are now before 9/11 occurred but was there ever a time when the flight deck door was left open during the flight. Maybe before the hijackings of the 70's?
Living in BUF in the '90s, girlfriend and I were returning back from a long weekend jaunt to the boardwalk and Taj Mahal. Flights were on US Scare and from BUF-PHL-ACY were all jets and nothing special happened, but on the return segment from ACY to PHL we were on a very, very small aircraft - there were maybe 5 or 6 rows and it was a prop job. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 engines, but it was so small EVERY seat was an aisle and window as each row had 1 seat each side.

Anyway, there was no cockpit door - there was only a curtain. During take-off and landing the curtain was pulled back so we could watch out the front window. At first I thought it was a wonderful, amazing experience. That is until we got into some clouds and absolutely had our asses handed to us with turbulence. At one point we hit an air-pocket and dropped what felt like 1000+ ft in a matter of seconds - almost like a free-fall - scared the bejesus out of me and the girlfriend. One of three (3) times that I have had to grab the air-sickness bag. Fortunately, I didn't have to use it, but man, that flight was crazy cool and crazy frightening.

IIRC there was no Flight Attendant on the flight either (or if there was I don't remember that person getting up doing any service), only the pilot and co-pilot. Pilot looked like a Ken doll - maybe 21 years old, if that ~ and if they were casting for a Barbie movie this guy would have bagged the part, no questions asked.

Funny what you remember ...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Living in BUF in the '90s, girlfriend and I were returning back from a long weekend jaunt to the boardwalk and Taj Mahal. Flights were on US Scare and from BUF-PHL-ACY were all jets and nothing special happened, but on the return segment from ACY to PHL we were on a very, very small aircraft - there were maybe 5 or 6 rows and it was a prop job. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 engines, but it was so small EVERY seat was an aisle and window as each row had 1 seat each side.

Anyway, there was no cockpit door - there was only a curtain. During take-off and landing the curtain was pulled back so we could watch out the front window. At first I thought it was a wonderful, amazing experience. That is until we got into some clouds and absolutely had our asses handed to us with turbulence. At one point we hit an air-pocket and dropped what felt like 1000+ ft in a matter of seconds - almost like a free-fall - scared the bejesus out of me and the girlfriend. One of three (3) times that I have had to grab the air-sickness bag. Fortunately, I didn't have to use it, but man, that flight was crazy cool and crazy frightening.

IIRC there was no Flight Attendant on the flight either (or if there was I don't remember that person getting up doing any service), only the pilot and co-pilot. Pilot looked like a Ken doll - maybe 21 years old, if that ~ and if they were casting for a Barbie movie this guy would have bagged the part, no questions asked.

Funny what you remember ...
I remember curtains, as recently as 2004. I was coming home, connecting on a Mesa Airways Beechcraft 1900D, PHX-IGM. There was a scheduled stop at PRC, the pilots helped the passenger getting off at Prescott to get luggage out of the back (no FAs or ground crew), and then we took off for the 15 minute flight to IGM. The pilots didn't draw the curtains, so I had the coolest view that night. Really stormy October weather in AZ, a little plane buffeting around, climbing over the mountain ridges, and descending into IGM was probably the best part. Uncontrolled airport, no ILS, so approach vectors you in and you have to make a visual approach the rest of the way. One thing you learn in ground school is the appropriate shape of runway lights at night, and how to judge your decent rate. Those lights were all over the place, as winds and gusts literally blew us around like a little boat in a big ocean. The landing was perfect. Those guys definitely don't get paid enough. Sigh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.