Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to book Z fares to Europe (July)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
UA J is light years behind DL. I'd rather swim then take UA anywhere for that matter.
Got it to work booking a UA codeshare on LH metal. I'm looking for LX options now.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Classic example of FCM. I'm really going to get mad - that upgrade was mine and mine alone. I spent $3800 on all of my upgradeable fares and now this. Ugh. I'm going to Spirit and Southwest. They'll appreciate me more.

Seriously though, LX is cheaper. Why even bother with DL?
LOL.

Yeah, I'm seeing the LX/LH fares now. Need to get Mrs. Lee to actually decide on dates so I can pull the trigger.

DL would be nice as it the miles would put me very comfortably back at PM for next year, but at this price difference, I'll use the savings to just buy up to a few domestic F flights instead of staring at UG lists.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
If only DL would offer the $1500-2000 fares in the northeast (they pulled the FRA/Switzerland fares).
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
LOL.

Yeah, I'm seeing the LX/LH fares now. Need to get Mrs. Lee to actually decide on dates so I can pull the trigger.

DL would be nice as it the miles would put me very comfortably back at PM for next year, but at this price difference, I'll use the savings to just buy up to a few domestic F flights instead of staring at UG lists.
Agreed on all accounts. I assume you're originating from Atlanta. If so you may want to look into connecting through IAD or ORD for the 747-8i to FRA. It looks like ATL-FRA is an A340. I also think some of the A330s have new business, and that aircraft serves IAD-MUC if it works better for you.

How were you able to find Swiss? I tried with no luck. It may involve too many connections though, as they don't serve IAH which is the only airport UA serves from VPS. I was, however, able to route VPS-IAH-ORD-FRA-AMS on the outbound to get the -8i. This is the only thing that makes me glad Mrs. P won't be joining me because I don't think she'd tolerate that many connections even if the FRA connection is 24 hours.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
also, really great Z fares over the Pacific...

1. SEA - HKG N/S for in the high 3's
2. NYC - ICN via DTW for $3500.00.
When?

Doesn't seem quite as good a value as the TATLs but that's still pretty good.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Got it to work booking a UA codeshare on LH metal. I'm looking for LX options now.
a UA 777 in business class has 8 across. How would you like to get stuck in the middle with having to jump over someone on either side?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
When?

Doesn't seem quite as good a value as the TATLs but that's still pretty good.
for TPAC flights in J, its a phenomonal deal. Do a J search using flexible weekend travel option, SEA - HKG. Try the month of July. I see $3800 A/I, N/S. I booked this last month for a plane spotting excusrion at HKG. Now, I just have to figure out what the best plane spotting locations are at HKG.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It may involve too many connections though, as they don't serve IAH which is the only airport UA serves from VPS.
If you're okay with the extra hour of driving and a bit of long term parking, keep in mind that there's a daily PNS-ORD flight on UA that would cut out a connection and might give you a few more options.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:51 am

a UA 777 in business class has 8 across. How would you like to get stuck in the middle with having to jump over someone on either side?
I'm not flying UA on the TATLs though. I'm on LH both ways. If DL hadn't pulled the fares it would have been a tough call between DL/AF at $2100 or LH at $1600, and I probably would have gone with DL for the MQMs and to avoid flying UA on the domestic segments. As it happened, DL pulled their fares just as I was trying to purchase, so I'll take the LH flights unless DL comes back before my cancellation window ends.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I wouldn't normally use this thread to ask this, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these and thought some of you might have opinions. I'm looking at routing IAD-CDG/AMS-FRA. What would you choose between KLM A330, AF 777, or AF A380? I like the fact that the 777 flight is the latest, so it might be best for sleeping. However, I've never flown an A380 in any class, so flying one for the first time upstairs in business is tempting. Seatguru says all three options have angled lie-flats. I can get DL metal true lie-flats on the 767 or 777 on the return but unfortunately not on the overnight eastbound flight (at least at the cheaper price point).
DL lie-flats are surely better. But the 380 is worth experiencing, I think and I've only flown it premium economy which is in the middle upstairs.
Absolutely the quietest airplane I've ever been on.
tom
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
SOme people might ENJOY making new friends on flights!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Agreed on all accounts. I assume you're originating from Atlanta. If so you may want to look into connecting through IAD or ORD for the 747-8i to FRA. It looks like ATL-FRA is an A340. I also think some of the A330s have new business, and that aircraft serves IAD-MUC if it works better for you.

How were you able to find Swiss? I tried with no luck. It may involve too many connections though, as they don't serve IAH which is the only airport UA serves from VPS. I was, however, able to route VPS-IAH-ORD-FRA-AMS on the outbound to get the -8i. This is the only thing that makes me glad Mrs. P won't be joining me because I don't think she'd tolerate that many connections even if the FRA connection is 24 hours.
Yep, originating ATL and would love to be able to experience the 380 or 747 UD. I've only been on the 747 in Y and Mrs. Lee has been on neither.

LX was showing up on some ITA searches I was doing last night in the $1600-$1700 range IIRC. I was just playing around though and don't remember the details. Dates were late July to early August.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you're okay with the extra hour of driving and a bit of long term parking, keep in mind that there's a daily PNS-ORD flight on UA that would cut out a connection and might give you a few more options.
Thanks for the tip. The new economy parking lot at PNS is pretty nice, and I think it's only $6/day with minimal walking required. However, that flight won't get me to ORD in time to catch the daily -8i on the outbound, and it's in the morning on the return which would require an overnight in Chicago. I think I'll stick with my IAH/ORD double connect on the outbound and the A380 to FRA-IAH on the return, but I appreciate it.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Argh - most of the fares I was seeing last night now appear to be gone. Everything back up in the $3k range.

Indecision wins again.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
for TPAC flights in J, its a phenomonal deal. Do a J search using flexible weekend travel option, SEA - HKG. Try the month of July. I see $3800 A/I, N/S. I booked this last month for a plane spotting excusrion at HKG. Now, I just have to figure out what the best plane spotting locations are at HKG.
Seemingly right over my apartment building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.