Boarding By Medallion Level DL358

Old Apr 1, 14, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Boarding By Medallion Level DL358

Announced that for our flight to DCA, we'd be boarding first class and then by medallion level. Encouraged passengers to give feedback on the website about our experiences.

Hopefully this becomes more prevalent.

^
Old Apr 1, 14, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
So .... rather than board Zone "Sky", they boarded DMs, PMs, etc in the order of Medallion level?
Old Apr 1, 14, 5:53 am

Did it help speed up the boarding process and/or keep gate lice under control?

I can appreciate letting DMs board before FOs or whatever but would think that would slow things down with them having to make a dozen boarding announcements. Then again, this flight may be 75% medallions so that may be better than having 100 people board as sky priority.
Old Apr 1, 14, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Exactly. Noticed 3 DMs take the walk to economy, but it's obviously a tough flight for upgrades. Boarding doesn't seem too much slower this way as there's usually a backup at the door to the plane due to first class service.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injera View Post
Did it help speed up the boarding process and/or keep gate lice under control?
Lice was bad because they announced the change about 5 minutes before boarding, but as you can imagine, there wasn't an all-out rush to the scanner because Sky was sub-divided into multiple groups.

Plane is still boarding now, but it appears the door will close on time. That really should be the determining factor. It's a nice touch, and I'll end up giving that feedback to Delta.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:06 am

Programs: DL Medialia Argenta
Kettles using an Amex card are now wondering "what the hell kind of priority is this? I'm now zone...zone....zone....I can't count that high."
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM
IME the worst offenders of early boarding are Medallions. During F boarding, 1/2 the group keeps walking to coach. I wish DL would just enforce the rules they set up. There would be fewer problems if folks were sent back where they belong.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens View Post
Kettles using an Amex card are now wondering "what the hell kind of priority is this? I'm now zone...zone....zone....I can't count that high."
Should add that this was at least for Sky. I wasn't there to see what happened to FOs in Zone 1 or if the boarding continued with a FO group.

Maybe it affected cardholders or maybe it didn't.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Boarding appears to be done. 8:20 flight and it's 8:12. Again, if we can get this process and be on time I'm down for the change.

Edit: will also add I just looked up and noticed at 8:12. I've been nose deep in my phone on FT.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I'd much prefer this method if there are more than 50 medallions on a flight which, based on the size of the upgrade list, happens frequently on my normal routes.

Would greatly reduce the gate crush, I think. Although, they'd have to actually enforce it, as another poster mentioned.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Well, that's a more fair way of doing it. At least that way silver medallions get their own group and don't have to share with the AMEX crowd.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the one hand, it's good that carriers experiment with different approaches because there is a fine balance between efficiently loading an aircraft and customer satisfaction. On the other hand, when the USS boarded F and then from the back of the aircraft with no Zones, it took somewhere in the 12-15 minute range to board a full 319 or 320.

There is only so much that "priority" matters beyond those who think that they are important so want to be made to feel important. The sole reason to board early is to get your bag in the OH. If you come before the OH's fill, you are fine. If not, that's bad.
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is only so much that "priority" matters beyond those who think that they are important so want to be made to feel important. The sole reason to board early is to get your bag in the OH. If you come before the OH's fill, you are fine. If not, that's bad.
I completely disagree. If you are in EC and board "...before the OH's [sic] fill," you are putting your bag in the back of the plane and having to swim upstream to your seat and then waiting until the plane is completely empty before retrieval (which may affect connections on a delay). This is practical and has nothing to do with wanting to think you are important.

Boarding would take a lot less time if people actually followed instructions. Quickly place large carry on in the overhead, smaller under your seat, coats on your lap, and step out of the aisle. No rummaging in your bags for things while long lines of people wait for you.

I was on a 757 where a good portion of the plane (maybe 50+) were high school age cheerleaders. All of them had matching soft-sided larger bags plus backpacks, and actually followed the rules and instructions and the completely full plane boarded and deplaned extremely fast with overhead space left over.
Old Apr 1, 14, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by kitkat77 View Post
I was on a 757 where a good portion of the plane (maybe 50+) were high school age cheerleaders.
Pictures or it didn't happen
Old Apr 1, 14, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
...I wish DL would just enforce the rules they set up. There would be fewer problems if folks were sent back where they belong.
Agree. Often it seems the GAs don't want to confront people about boarding in the wrong group, or maybe they figure it's not worth slowing down the process. I can't imagine that having even more boarding groups will speed things up, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: