Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BREAKING: DL TO CLOSE ATL HUB EFFECTIVE TODAY moving to MLU

Old Apr 1, 14, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Delta to move operations back to Monroe, LA (MLU)

April 1, 2014

ATLANTA, April 1, 2014 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) will close the ATL hub because of record profits and stock price at record level. It will return to it's roots and become a crop dusting airline and will provide the service to over 500 cities worldwide. Delta airlines would like to thank the millions of passengers served over 70+ years, but on this April Fools day, times must change. It's been a good ride. Thanks for choosing Delta. Any miles still in accounts can be used for crop dusting services provided.

Again Have a great April Fools Day.

History:

Delta's origins can be traced to a decision by B. R. Coad and Collett E. Woolman. Coad was an employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's field laboratory in Tallulah, Louisiana; Woolman was with its extension service. They worked on finding a solution to the boll weevil infestation of cotton crops and concluded that the "dusting" of an insecticide powder from the air would be the most effective form of treatment. From this decision, Huff Daland Dusters Incorporated was born. It was founded on May 30, 1924, in Macon, Georgia, and became the world's first aerial crop dusting company. The company moved to Monroe, Louisiana, in 1925. Woolman left his position with the extension service and in the off-season traveled with the company to Peru, where they helped to establish crop-dusting and passenger services. With this experience, Woolman returned to the United States and in 1928 raised the capital to buy Huff Daland, purchasing it on September 13, 1928, and renaming the company Delta Air Service, with its headquarters in Monroe. The name Delta, referring to the Mississippi Delta, was suggested by Catherine Fitzgerald, a secretary who later would rise to the rank of an executive in the company.

In 1930 the Delta Air Corporation (as it was then called) expanded eastward to include service to Atlanta, the fastest-growing city in the South, and westward to Fort Worth, Texas. This service was terminated in 1930 after the "Spoils Conference", when the Post Office awarded the route to American Airlines. Delta's lack of success in winning a commercial airmail contract—the bread and butter of any aspiring airline—jeopardized its existence, and the company suspended passenger service.
Old Apr 1, 14, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
But how will the FFP (frequent fertilizing program) work? How many crop dustings will it take before I receive a free dusting? How many tiers will make up the FFP? Will elite status be calculated by crop dustings/year or will it be based on spend? As usual Delta is as clear as mud with their new initiatives.
Old Apr 1, 14, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
But how will the FFP (frequent fertilizing program) work? How many crop dustings will it take before I receive a free dusting? How many tiers will make up the FFP? Will elite status be calculated by crop dustings/year or will it be based on spend? As usual Delta is as clear as mud with their new initiatives.
30,000 miles per acre on an RJ, or if you use the AMEX card you will receive a 747 dusting with a free ride along.
Old Apr 1, 14, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
30,000 miles per acre on an RJ, or if you use the AMEX card you will receive a 747 dusting with a free ride along.
But, good luck redeeming at the low level for that 747 dusting.
Old Apr 1, 14, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303 View Post
But, good luck redeeming at the low level for that 747 dusting.
lol
Old Apr 1, 14, 2:23 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ *G, BonvoyTit, LH, UK, VS, UA, DL
Gotta to love April Fools day
Old Apr 1, 14, 3:11 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
That wasn't even remotely believable.

I say try again.
Old Apr 1, 14, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I saw that the DOJ is reversing their decision on the mega airline mergers. DL/NW, UA/CO, WN/FL, and AA/US will all be broken up and individual operating certificates will be reissued. ...sigh, if only this could be true.
Old Apr 1, 14, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The irony: Today, Richard Anderson is sitting behind the desk of a man who worked to end the "boll weevil infestation ".
Old Apr 1, 14, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post

I say try again.
How about a hub at DFW, like in the past. I don't believe any airline has a hub a DFW. Oh shucks, I believe AA might fly a few planes there.
Old Apr 1, 14, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I say try again.
Try the post/thread about shutting down FRA to resurface the runways during the LH strike.
Old Apr 1, 14, 5:07 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

I say try again.
How about: DL Fires Entire IT Department; Working Award Calendar Imminent
Old Apr 1, 14, 6:10 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
I heard from a friend's ex-wife whose neighbor's parole agent's uncle works for WN that DL will reallocate the entire 747 fleet starting next week to operate ATL-AGS shuttles departing every 15 minutes for the Masters. Advance bookings were so strong that they decided to make this year round.
Old Apr 1, 14, 7:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

I say try again.
How about...DL completes SEA takeover by buying up AS!
Old Apr 1, 14, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you are going to do an april fools joke at least make it something believeable

Search this Thread