Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
10 seconds per tag X 100 bags would be over 16 minutes. Even only 50 bags would be over 8 minutes. If AS can get the bags out in SEA in 20 minutes and DL takes 40, it is logical to assume that it is taking some extra time to put all those tags on the bags.
Ok...if "someone" was tagging the bag in a group. The easiest way, though I don't know who or when the tagging takes place, would be to tag them as they come off the aircraft down the loader one at a time. If two or more persons are loading the bags on the bag cart...no extra time.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by corbetti
I wouldn't. I'm just going to start putting stickers for American Airlines and United Airlines in the cabin next to my seats, in the lavatories, or maybe just their latest inflight magazines (Hemispheres, American Way) in the seatback pockets whenever I'm on a delta flight.

Let's see how long it takes for them to notice?

A little guerrilla marketing of my own :-)
Oh...about as long as it takes the cabin cleaners to remove your stickers and replace the AS magazine. No one else is going to notice or care.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Ok...if "someone" was tagging the bag in a group. The easiest way, though I don't know who or when the tagging takes place, would be to tag them as they come off the aircraft down the loader one at a time. If two or more persons are loading the bags on the bag cart...no extra time.
Operations management literature says otherwise. ANY additional activity requires additional time absent a change in the process - in the case of ADDING an advert, its more time. Either you pay for extra time (add an employee) or you take time from something else (loading the belt) ... its OM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Frogbone
You have completely missed the point here

Here's a valid comparison for ya: Flyers and business cards under your windshield wiper ! How do you like them apples ?
That doesn't bother me either. I just crumple them up and throw them away. I like the previous suggestion to remove them from bags and throw them on the baggage claim floor. If they start to create a lot of litter perhaps Delta would be forced to stop.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
That doesn't bother me either. I just crumple them up and throw them away. I like the previous suggestion to remove them from bags and throw them on the baggage claim floor. If they start to create a lot of litter perhaps Delta would be forced to stop.
I don't like anyone screwing around with my vehicle. They don't own it and they don't care. They lean on the car and possibly scratch your paint with their pant rivets or jacket zipper or who knows what.

It's my property YOU stay away from it. Unless I ask you to do so.

With the bag all I want Delta to do is transport it with me to my destination. That's it. It's'my bag and I have to trust that you take care of it during the transportation.

Now I understand that there really isn't an additional wear and tear on my bag by tagging an Amex thing to it but nevertheless, it is MY property and unless I authorize you I don't want you to put anything on it or do anything to it.
When I check the bag I authorize you to put a bag tag on it as it is required to deliver my bag to the destination. That's where it ends.
We have no contract that allows you to use my property for advertisement purposes, however minute they are. It offends me that you (Delta) think you can just go ahead and do that. Especially since the other way around you would NEVER cut me any slack.....

Point is, the tag itself is not the issue. The issue is Delta's brazen attempt to profit from me without my consent.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I don't like anyone screwing around with my vehicle. They don't own it and they don't care. They lean on the car and possibly scratch your paint with their pant rivets or jacket zipper or who knows what.

It's my property YOU stay away from it. Unless I ask you to do so.

With the bag all I want Delta to do is transport it with me to my destination. That's it. It's'my bag and I have to trust that you take care of it during the transportation.

Now I understand that there really isn't an additional wear and tear on my bag by tagging an Amex thing to it but nevertheless, it is MY property and unless I authorize you I don't want you to put anything on it or do anything to it.
When I check the bag I authorize you to put a bag tag on it as it is required to deliver my bag to the destination. That's where it ends.
We have no contract that allows you to use my property for advertisement purposes, however minute they are. It offends me that you (Delta) think you can just go ahead and do that. Especially since the other way around you would NEVER cut me any slack.....

Point is, the tag itself is not the issue. The issue is Delta's brazen attempt to profit from me without my consent.
Well said.

What bothers me most about this is the DL marketing mindset that this is ok, and doesn't see anything wrong with this.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

^^^

It is interesting (but not surprising) the degree to which some here are seeking to legitimize what most view to have been a pretty crass act (no, not "class act").

Just because I choose to do business with an airline does not mean that I want every interaction with that airline turned into a marketing/revenue enhancement initiative.

Apparently, Va Ave does not understand the concept of over-saturation.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
... Just because I choose to do business with an airline does not mean that I want every interaction with that airline turned into a marketing/revenue enhancement initiative. ...
or an airline's credit card partner company ...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
^^^

It is interesting (but not surprising) the degree to which some here are seeking to legitimize what most view to have been a pretty crass act (no, not "class act").

Just because I choose to do business with an airline does not mean that I want every interaction with that airline turned into a marketing/revenue enhancement initiative.

Apparently, Va Ave does not understand the concept of over-saturation.
Like the obnoxious "die miles" campaign ?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Like the obnoxious "die miles" campaign ?
Please forgive me for having an opinion that you disagree with.

But what would you do, as one of those folks who appears to come here only to criticize the opinions of others, if someone did not provide you targets?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
To those who don't think this is a big deal, if you took your car in for an oil change, and the oil change place slapped a bumper sticker on it advertising their services, would you be OK with that?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OHDL1
The problem is that those "two or more persons" are presumably paid employees and could instead be doing something more productive and useful, such as expediting delivery of bags to the belt. I doubt that the ones attaching the ads are volunteers wo cannot do any other duties for DL. Also, I doubt that they're AmEx employees as third parties shouldn't have access to airport bag handling areas due to security restrictions.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
10 seconds per tag X 100 bags would be over 16 minutes. Even only 50 bags would be over 8 minutes. If AS can get the bags out in SEA in 20 minutes and DL takes 40, it is logical to assume that it is taking some extra time to put all those tags on the bags.
... not really. Certainly not 16 minutes of delay.

Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
Just like you get your bags off of a conveyor belt they are placed on one down in the handling area. I couple of well trained monkeys sitting at the end of the belt before it goes to the carousel could attach the tags as the bags go by. total time lost in the transaction from moving bags from the baggage train to the belt to the carousel is ZERO seconds.

Some people need to work on critical thinking. The act of tagging the bags does not in any way affect the delivery of the bags. That said the speed of the less motivated ramp rats could easily explain the lost time. Place blame where it lies.
@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)@:-)

Arrived in SEA this afternoon. Got in at the B gates (first time ever, as I always have arrived at the S gates before on my last 10+ flights to SEA)

Total time from aircraft door open to start of bag delivery at the carousel : 17 minutes

Number of Amex advertisement tags on my bag : 0

Estimated Kettle bags spit out before the first Priority bag: too many to count

Not terribly surprised the B gate arrival was faster for bag delivery.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Well said.

What bothers me most about this is the DL marketing mindset that this is ok, and doesn't see anything wrong with this.
I wonder if DL/Amex ran a couple tests of this and is waiting to see how riled up the FT crowd gets... Of course, we're obviously not the target demographic for this type of advertising anyway, but someone has to be the guinea pig.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
It seems to me that a bailment is created by checking luggage with Delta. One of a bailee's duties (i.e. Delta's duties) is to not make any unauthorized use of the bailed property. Use of my suitcase for advertising purposes is an unauthorized use.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
To those who don't think this is a big deal, if you took your car in for an oil change, and the oil change place slapped a bumper sticker on it advertising their services, would you be OK with that?
More like if they slapped a bumper sticker on it advertising the muffler shop down the street.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.