Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by bennos
... to the point where I'm now contemplating buying the seat next to me as the best option for TCON flights between cheapo Y and astronomic J. People who want this can buy it today, no need for DL to come up with a micro-cabin of blocked middles.
Have you been successful in trying to buy an extra seat on either domestic, or international, that would be great if so?

I was under the impression that this could not be done anymore.

If you have been successful, what is the process or procedure, were you able to get extra miles (RDM/MQM) for doing so?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
RealHJ does make a good point. Why does DL have such an aversion to accommodating passengers on another airline when they cancel one of their flights? There was a member on FT who posted not too long ago that DL canceled their flight home from Mexico and told them they wouldn't be able to get on another DL flight for a few days. Why not put them on an Alaska or Aeromexico flight and get them home?
Yeah I was on award J on DL and when it went IROP they would not put me on another airline including ST airlines even when I offered to drop down to Y. Fortunately I figured out how to resolve the IROP on DL metal, but the agent couldn't figure it out, I had to figure it out. Now that they have additionally done away with meal vouchers I don't see why people think DL is still best at service recovery among US carriers. Or more accurately, they may be the best of a sad bunch.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA,DL
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sad day. UD on the 747 is one of the most special J experiences one can ever have. Practically better than UD on the A380.
Well its only a rumor for now but I hope this isn't true, and it will basically mean that J won't be as fun to ride on a 747 as it will feel the same as if your riding a 777.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Now that they have additionally done away with meal vouchers I don't see why people think DL is still best at service recovery among US carriers. Or more accurately, they may be the best of a sad bunch.
I think that DL is only "best at service recovery" on routes where it has the most flights (e.g. 10 daily flights XXX-YYY) - as any other airline would be in such a situation. Those who keep peddling the lie that DL is in any shape or form better than others at service recovery (if anything, UA is 1000s of times better than DL at service recovery, both domestic and int'l) likely only fly on a few limited routes where DL has lots of flights and oooh and awe when DL puts them on the next DL flight an hour later - as again any other similarly situated airline would.

The fact is that DL really is at the head at the pack - of the worst, that is - among service recovery, on all but the few routes where it has a lot of its own flights. Vast majority of other airlines will put you on another airline flight (same and often even different alliance) no ifs or buts about it if there is a cancellation (some, like UA, even if there are 10s of other comparable schedule UA options, will still put you on another airline flight that you prefer, last minute full fare, if you simply ask for it), but DL will outright refuse to do so. That alone puts DL as one of the very worst at that.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
I think that DL is only "best at service recovery" on routes where it has the most flights (e.g. 10 daily flights XXX-YYY) - as any other airline would be in such a situation. Those who keep peddling the lie that DL is in any shape or form better than others at service recovery (if anything, UA is 1000s of times better than DL at service recovery, both domestic and int'l) likely only fly on a few limited routes where DL has lots of flights and oooh and awe when DL puts them on the next DL flight an hour later - as again any other similarly situated airline would.

The fact is that DL really is at the head at the pack - of the worst, that is - among service recovery, on all but the few routes where it has a lot of its own flights. Vast majority of other airlines will put you on another airline flight (same and often even different alliance) no ifs or buts about it if there is a cancellation (some, like UA, even if there are 10s of other comparable schedule UA options, will still put you on another airline flight that you prefer, last minute full fare, if you simply ask for it), but DL will outright refuse to do so. That alone puts DL as one of the very worst at that.
I strongly disagree. I've had multiple Delta experiences with great service recovery. I love that I can rebook my own flights on Delta.com or using the Fly Delta app. I have also had Delta rebook me on other airlines when Delta would get me in 1 1/2 hours later on a different than on the other airline.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by kpreece18
I strongly disagree. I've had multiple Delta experiences with great service recovery. I love that I can rebook my own flights on Delta.com or using the Fly Delta app. I have also had Delta rebook me on other airlines when Delta would get me in 1 1/2 hours later on a different than on the other airline.
Maybe it depends on your medallion level, but I've never really had an issue getting put on another airline due to a Delta cancellation.

I do think they have a limitation when buying an oversold seat. I've had an agent be "unable to see any space" when i was looking at 1 seat available on an OTA. I ended up having to book it myself and apply for a refund from DL. That was frustrating but it could have been an oversell.

Last edited by StuckOnSegments; Mar 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deltaflyer08
Well its only a rumor for now but I hope this isn't true, and it will basically mean that J won't be as fun to ride on a 747 as it will feel the same as if your riding a 777.
While the 777 isn't bad (I like the beds better, but like the 767 cabins better), the BE cabin just isn't that private compared to 747.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: DL/PM/2MM TK*G
As all of you know here at Delta thread, Delta now welcomes and give more for those highly revenue customers but give less for paying cheap.
For those paying real business class ticket, Delta gives more miles!
Those flying cheap, Delta gives way less than before!
So therefore Delta removing BE from U/D and replace it with EC is the great idea for them no matter what we think here.
All Delta got to do is not allowing upgrades from any Y ticket then BE won't be filled up, Delta knows that most of BE customers are upgraded customers so Delta rather to have more Y seats in 747-400 fleet for better revenue and that makes sense a lot!
Hoping DL sells Y ticket less and I welcome Delta's move of course!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
Maybe it depends on your medallion level, but I've never really had an issue getting put on another airline due to a Delta cancellation.

I do think they have a limitation when buying an oversold seat. I've had an agent be "unable to see any space" when i was looking at 1 seat available on an OTA. I ended up having to book it myself and apply for a refund from DL. That was frustrating but it could have been an oversell.
My 75 year old grandmother was flying MEM-IAH a few months ago and Delta canceled her flight that evening due to a crew issue. This was on a Friday evening and the last flight that could have connected her through ATL had already left. I called Delta and they refused to put her on a direct flight on United. They told me she would have to fly the next day. Delta does not fly MEM-IAH on Saturdays so they had to connect her through ATL. They gave her a 40 minute connection in Atlanta. My grandmother does not travel often and always books nonstop flights. She had never been to ATL. I finally convinced an agent to give her a longer connection after I explained over and over that my grandmother would most likely miss her connecting flight with such a short connection. They could have avoided the whole mess by putting her on the nonstop UA flight.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
My 75 year old grandmother was flying MEM-IAH a few months ago and Delta canceled her flight that evening due to a crew issue. This was on a Friday evening and the last flight that could have connected her through ATL had already left. I called Delta and they refused to put her on a direct flight on United. They told me she would have to fly the next day. Delta does not fly MEM-IAH on Saturdays so they had to connect her through ATL. They gave her a 40 minute connection in Atlanta. My grandmother does not travel often and always books nonstop flights. She had never been to ATL. I finally convinced an agent to give her a longer connection after I explained over and over that my grandmother would most likely miss her connecting flight with such a short connection. They could have avoided the whole mess by putting her on the nonstop UA flight.
I wonder if one has better chances to be transferred to another carrier when present at the airport rather than talking to an agent on the phone.
Happened to me once when coming home with a friend, my DL connecting flight was cancelled and was told to get on next day flight. Had to do my own research and found a direct flight on US air leaving in 40 min. Was told several times by check in counter agent that it was not possible tot get on that flight I would have to wait until next morning. I finally asked about rule 240. Then off to the direct US air ;-)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Those who keep peddling the lie that DL is in any shape or form better than others at service recovery (if anything, UA is 1000s of times better than DL at service recovery, both domestic and int'l)
This is not a credible claim.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Could we please stay on topic? This thread is about the DL 747, not about IROPS or service recovery.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
Sorry for not reading this thread as I have been in Palestine, but 73A on the 744 is my favorite seat for the whole of DL equipment. I have yet to get a newly configured 332/3 but would be more than sad to lost the 744 UP as I have been going out of my way to get on the 744s.
Wasn't aware he 747 was actually a time machine that takes you back to 1940.

Back on topic...I would be surprised to see the UD being converted....747 flights from the US are TLV & NRT and both are usually pretty jammed in J. Doesn't seem like it would make sense to remove a bunch of seats
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Isn't this a negative feedback loop at some point? DL wants higher fares up front, so they remove seats thereby reducing availability of discounted BE fares. Some pax with pockets overflowing with cash don't care and buy anyway (corp discounts, opm). Other pax who are price sensitive or try to spend their company money smarter book to other airlines with lower fares instead. DL ends up with open seats and has to offer discount I/Z fares lest DMs on an X fare using a global cert sit up front. Repeat downward spiral.

Here is a first hand example... had to send some employees to Italy. Booked Emirates to MXP since it was less expensive than DL and has a world-class product.
The pricing works to a point. In particular out of hubs on non-stop INTL. It starts to break down in markets where there's competition (I.e. NYC), and on 1+ stops.

I think this is partly to juice loads and pricing, and the other part is to make it operationally easier to sub out 744s as they start to get replaced with smaller wide bodies. It's not going to be a quick transition and I suspect MXs are going to be brutal towards the end of the transition for some Y PAX.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:31 pm

Now that DL announced Wifi on the 747 fleet, does it make this rumor seem more likely to be true?
Are they doing things like that together? The PR piece says 3/16 already have Wifi installed, so maybe it's unrelated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.