Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: 747 B/E seat reduction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Perhaps the Economy and Economy Comfort product is being enhanced. Economy gets reduced to 30 inches of pitch and Economy Comfort will now be marketed as "81 Centimeters of Extra Space to Stretch Out". Taking Economy Comfort down to 32 inches pitch should get 60 seats on the upper deck.
Don't even joke about things like that!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:14 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Hmmmm . . . Just thinkin' . . . . I can't seem to remember how many seats PeoplExpress squeezed in up there!!

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by javabytes
Are the AF seats slimline? If not, perhaps that could be part of the difference.
Haha... slimline economy "comfort..." haha
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:19 pm

It is happening.

Any wonder why the system-wide upgrades were rolled out and touted? Like we were going to actually have easier access to use them. Great bait - in reality often worthless when most of the international fleet sees a decent sum of BE seats pulled out, leaving just as tough of odds for upgrades.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Hmmmm . . . Just thinkin' . . . . I can't seem to remember how many seats PeoplExpress squeezed in up there!!

I did a quick search. I couldn't find how many seats were on the upper deck but I did find that their 747's were equipped with 490 seats!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Wow. I hope the rumor turns out to be false. The current 747 UD is the best seating/experience in Delta's entire fleet.

Does any other airline have a better hard product in the 747 UD? Certainly not within SkyTeam.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
This sadly is probably my only chance to ride upstairs. My couple Op Ups were unfortunately on the main deck (looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth). It might make sense on heavy Y routes with little business demand.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I did a quick search. I couldn't find how many seats were on the upper deck but I did find that their 747's were equipped with 490 seats!
Yes, I saw that, too. Don't forget - that was a B747-200!!!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f
Any wonder why the system-wide upgrades were rolled out and touted? Like we were going to actually have easier access to use them.
I feel certain that there will be availability to use them on DTW/FNT on a Wednesday 6AM or 11:55 PM flight!

Oops! That route is gone, too, right?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes, I saw that, too. Don't forget - that was a B747-200!!!
You're right, -100/200 had the shorter upper deck. Just think what Delta can do with the extended upper deck of the -400!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Well, having only flown on the upper deck of the Delta (former NW) 747, I can say that I would definitely not purposely try to target the 747 anymore if this were true. Not too long ago did the 747 have 7x BE seats.

Moreover, the long-haul 747 BE product is one of the main reasons for continuing to fly with Delta.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
It is happening.....by end of year.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Most of us know how impossible it is now to score OP availability. Just imagine how much more impossible it will be once they eliminate the BE section on the UD. The new GUCs will be worthless as will mileage upgrades with YBM. guess delta doesn't want anyone except HVCs with money to burn in BE.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I guess the $4,500-5,500 B or M fares will no longer be needed either. (J on the current routes are in the $7-10k range. And with cutting capacity more, they will continue to increase).

It's a very unusual move. Eliminating the already difficult to use SWU, and replacing with GUC, and then cutting the capacity...

Either I am going to be paying:
1) $1,500 for the flight now (coach),
2) $10,000 for the flight (paid J), or
3) Fly a different carrier altogether

I avoid coach as much as possible, so likely 3 will be the option assuming there is another carrier willing to sell less than $10k. Which there is now.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by javabytes
Is there even room to get 60 Economy Comfort seats in the upper deck? I know AF fits 60 regular economy seats in there.

This would seem to be a very low F:Y ratio. Even the high density 763s are 11.5% J. This would put the 747s around 8.1%.
Does anyone think that paid premium seats exceed 8% of total pax on many routes at all? Delta has the data, and they clearly know what they want to do with it. I don't suspect there are many if any routes where more than 8% of pax routinely pay CASH for a premium seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.