Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC for 1st class change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

SDC for 1st class change

It looks like DL will allow cabin to cabin SDC for 1st class/domestic be flights!

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-premium-.html

I'm sure this will get merged with the larger thread but just wanted to bring some quick attention to a positive change for once!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nice change. ^

Let me be the first to say this giveback represents only a portion of that which was taken away previously. So feel free to call me a whiner.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kop84
It looks like DL will allow cabin to cabin SDC for 1st class/domestic be flights!

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-premium-.html

I'm sure this will get merged with the larger thread but just wanted to bring some quick attention to a positive change for once!
"Please note that the above policy change does not apply to tickets booked using Unlimited Complimentary Medallion Upgrades."
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Finally. Now if only they would make the same change for the back of the bus so SDC would be useful again.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"Please note that the above policy change does not apply to tickets booked using Unlimited Complimentary Medallion Upgrades."
That's fine, pretty much everywhere else if you get an upgrade you lose it (or at least risk losing it) if you change flights. No reason for this to be different.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Nice work Delta ... there is some hope they listen to their customers after all. Makes FCM fares that much more attractive now.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

For first class tix now this is even better than the old way. Cabin to Cabin with the 24hr window instead of 3!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
This makes me sad, because it means they thought about it and decided NOT to fix the coach SDC. COME ON DELTA FIX THE COACH SDC!!!!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That's fine, pretty much everywhere else if you get an upgrade you lose it (or at least risk losing it) if you change flights. No reason for this to be different.
Just providing some context for those folks who are not going to follow the link.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 18, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This makes sense. True F is fully changeable and has never been covered by SDC as the pax simply calls in a change at any time between booking and the time the pax boards. This only applies to seats booked into FC (or other premium cabin) at less than F, but more than steerage UG via complimentary.

As to Y, there is no real fix because of the gaming which caused the problem. Perhaps a solution which would benefit some and hurt others would be to permit one single SDC without a full change fee so long as there is any availability. Thus, the first change is free (depending on status) and the second and subsequent changes are subject to a full change fee, e.g. $200.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This is great news. As someone else said, makes the FCM fares much more attractive and provides some very real benefit to them when they are just a bit more than coach.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Often1
This makes sense. True F is fully changeable and has never been covered by SDC as the pax simply calls in a change at any time between booking and the time the pax boards. This only applies to seats booked into FC (or other premium cabin) at less than F, but more than steerage UG via complimentary.

As to Y, there is no real fix because of the gaming which caused the problem. Perhaps a solution which would benefit some and hurt others would be to permit one single SDC without a full change fee so long as there is any availability. Thus, the first change is free (depending on status) and the second and subsequent changes are subject to a full change fee, e.g. $200.
I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, been able to get an SDC since the change to the rules (at least that I recall). That's broken. I don't know what gaming you are referring to, but a "fix" I can think of would be to go back to the way it was. Or give me 4 SDC coupons. Or make it a Diamond benefit. Or charge $50 to do it. But the way it is now makes it practically impossible for me to SDC. And I don't mean "nearly" impossible. I mean "impossible in practice."

[added] And I have indeed voted with my wallet when a schedule change looks probable.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I just managed to get my first successful SDC change last weak, leaving SEA. Moved from an 8am flight to the 1:20pm on an L fare. SDS just seems too risky and there is no chance of UG.

I'd welcome unrestricted SDC being limited to K+ fares. It would at least be better than it is today.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by orca15
I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, been able to get an SDC since the change to the rules (at least that I recall). That's broken. I don't know what gaming you are referring to, but a "fix" I can think of would be to go back to the way it was. Or give me 4 SDC coupons. Or make it a Diamond benefit. Or charge $50 to do it. But the way it is now makes it practically impossible for me to SDC. And I don't mean "nearly" impossible. I mean "impossible in practice."

[added] And I have indeed voted with my wallet when a schedule change looks probable.
Yours is apparently the outlier experience. And, if it isn't working for you on the routes you fly, you definitely should jump ship. No reason to keep flying a carrier where the things you value don't happen.

"Gaming" was the practice of avoiding a $200 change fee by doing SDC 3-4 days in a row. Back when there was capacity and no fare bucket control, you could effectively change your flight from today to 4 days from now by doing SDC each day. It's still theoretically possible, but unlikely to work 4 times in a row.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orca15
I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, been able to get an SDC since the change to the rules (at least that I recall). That's broken. ...
Originally Posted by Often1
Yours is apparently the outlier experience. ...
Then there are two of us outliers...

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
I just managed to get my first successful SDC change last weak, leaving SEA. Moved from an 8am flight to the 1:20pm on an L fare. SDS just seems too risky and there is no chance of UG.

I'd welcome unrestricted SDC being limited to K+ fares. It would at least be better than it is today.
On what route did you find an L fare still available on the day of travel?

The few times that I have considered an SDC, the only available fares were in the stratosphere, like M and B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.