FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1558803-using-regional-upgrades-delta-pre-2-1-2022-a.html)

GeorgeBurdell Mar 9, 2014 10:03 am

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Had a conversation with the DM line today about how to use regional upgrades. Here's the summary of what we discussed:
  • RUs have a higher priority than complimentary upgrades.
  • Regional upgrades are on a separate upgrade list than complimentary ones.
  • A DM on the RU standby upgrade list has a higher priority than a PM, regardless of fare paid, etc.
  • You can call to use an RU up to an hour before departure. Recommendation is to call at least 90 minutes before.
  • You only burn an RU if you get a seat in FC.
  • You could wait until DL processes the complimentary upgrade list at your window to see if you got a seat. If not, you could use an RU.
  • If you call to use an RU after the upgrade window, you should ask the agent to take you off the complimentary upgrade list so the computer doesn't put you in the wrong priority for an upgrade.

I'm thinking that the RUs are a good plan B if you don't get an early upgrade on Medallion heavy routes. This is especially true when FCM is in play and DL is waiting until 48 hours or so before departure to do upgrades.

Considering how DL manages FCM on transcon routes and other heavy Medallion ones, you're not going to find RU cert seats when you buy a ticket. The standby list will most likely be in play with DMs trumping PMs with higher priority and more RUs to burn.

If anyone knows how the RU standby list prioritizes upgrades in greater detail like time of request or other tie-breakers, please post.

Bicostal Mar 9, 2014 12:30 pm

Let the games begin. The last bullet is inconsistent with how the former SWU program worked. I've had complimentary clear where wait list was still wait listed. Sounds stupid, I know, but CSR told me there are two different lists until it goes to t-24

JBJ2435 Mar 9, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm currently waitlisted (for a week now) using my first RUC for tomorrow, LAX-ATL, EF shows availability, but dl.com is selling FC for tomorrow with <24h for only $252 more than Y... It will be interesting how this goes. Also UG list is not showing on website after check in. Hmmm

MSPeconomist Mar 9, 2014 12:44 pm

However, the big questions not addressed in the OP are how RUC-using DMs and RUC-using PMs are ordered within each status level. Does the priority depend first on status, then fare class, then Reserve card, then time of request? Or is it something different, such as DMs being listed by time of request (only) then PMs by time of request? If the latter, it might be better strategically to apply the RUC early rather than waiting for the window or airport control, when it looks like one will not get a free elite upgrade.

Bob111 Mar 9, 2014 1:38 pm

Another question is where do SWUs fit into the priority list. I've been able to use a SWU about 40 minutes prior to departure. I wonder if RUs will work that way too or will 1 hour be a hard number.

mnredfox Mar 9, 2014 10:56 pm

I guess we're going to need the new codes for GUC and RUC vs SWU. DL couldn't even get the SWU right often and now we have two types of certs.

vasantn Mar 9, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm still wondering how these are different from the NAMUs of a decade ago (anyone remember them?), except for being more useless because you can't use them on transcons.

javabytes Mar 10, 2014 12:06 am

OP - for clarity, RU is the bucket for Medallion complimentary upgrades. RP is for certs.

rylan Mar 10, 2014 7:10 am

I assume these are going to require to be coded the same or similar to SWUs... meaning jump through hoops to get the proper priority.

timmy83 Mar 10, 2014 7:19 am

Okay, so my question is regarding the coding of RUCs for companions. If I want to use a RUC for my companion but not me (betting that I'll receive a complimentary upgrade), is this even possible?

My understanding is that splitting PNRs probably won't work due to some of the wording regarding the use of these certs, but if my companion is listed for a GUC upgrade, does my priority move back up to the PM window priority?

JBJ2435 Mar 11, 2014 4:52 am

Originally Posted by JBJ2435 (Post 22492191)
I'm currently waitlisted (for a week now) using my first RUC for tomorrow, LAX-ATL, EF shows availability, but dl.com is selling FC for tomorrow with <24h for only $252 more than Y... It will be interesting how this goes. Also UG list is not showing on website after check in. Hmmm

Update - I cleared the comp UG at t-1h when checking my bag and the RUC was not pulled! :) they even pulled one lucky guy from the back for the final seat..it was the 777-200 hoping for the same on return Friday.

kaw753 Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am new to PM. Called the reservation line yesterday for an ATL to LAS flight tomorrow and she said they were out of regional upgrade inventory for this flight. It is 50/50 that I will get the complementary at the gate. Is she correct that the regional upgrades are limited per flight?

rylan Mar 11, 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by JBJ2435 (Post 22502045)
Update - I cleared the comp UG at t-1h when checking my bag and the RUC was not pulled! :) they even pulled one lucky guy from the back for the final seat..it was the 777-200 hoping for the same on return Friday.

If your cert wasn't used/closed, then it most likely means the cert wasn't coded properly and you cleared based on your medallion status.

rylan Mar 11, 2014 5:51 am

Originally Posted by kaw753 (Post 22502187)
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I am new to PM. Called the reservation line yesterday for an ATL to LAS flight tomorrow and she said they were out of regional upgrade inventory for this flight. It is 50/50 that I will get the complementary at the gate. Is she correct that the regional upgrades are limited per flight?

Yes, upgrade inventory is (very) limited on many flights. Supposedly using a upgrade cert will give you higher priority above the comp medallion upgrades at the gate, however that also relies on an agent coding it properly so the system sees you are using a cert and goes by that and not your normal status.

kaw753 Mar 11, 2014 5:55 am

Sorry if I was not clear. The reservation agent would not even let me apply the certificate even though there are 8 FC seats open. She said only a certain number of certs can be applied per flight and I should have called earlier.