Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer00

The wording of the policy no longer excludes F -> D1 and I’ve done it repeatedly this year. YMMV
Just did this for my SEA - JFK return. Switched to SEA-SFO-JFK without the agent batting an eye.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just returned to gate from runway at ATL due to Houston ATC congestion on way to LAS. This is a flight where I had an RUC clear, and may now cancel due to delay and timeout issues. Agent is saying they’ll return RUC to me, but it won’t apply for tomorrow flights. Is that right? Will be happy to have a seat regardless, but surprised that they can’t move rebook on open F seats in the morning, considering the certificate has cleared (as would be the process for SDC). First time with RUC and IRROPS, thanks for advice.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL
If all of your segments cleared then you should be rebooked into F. If an agent won’t do this I would rebook yourself using the app if possible (which will rebook you in first — although make sure it does say it’s going to rebook into first), or call Delta.

If an issue prevents you from using your RUC as you would’ve liked (i.e. you had to re-route on a worse routing), an agent may re-open a RUC for you as well, even if you fly the re-route in first.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:58 am

Did a SDC last week, I had cleared at the window, and after SDC I was #6 for 2 seats. Tried to apply a RUC, twitter agent said I couldn't because the flight was less than three hours away. I noted that in reality it was 3 hours and 17 minutes until departure.

RUC got applied, I moved up to #1 . Get to the airport and shockingly both seats have disappeared. No biggie, I got a window with the middle seat empty, I'll live. Tweet to remove the RUC since I don't want to burn it on the 2nd leg as it's much shorter. Twitter agent removes the RUC but now I'm not on the upgrade list at all. Twitter agent tries some stuff and says to just ask when I arrive at ATL.

I arrive into concourse T, and go to the club upon landing, agent works on it for a few minutes and finally says she can't do it for some reason but the gate agent should be able to activate it, and also notes that I won't clear, I am going to be like #9 for 3 seats (which sounds insane, but ok). I head on over to B and decide to try again there (gate isn't open yet). Agent in the B club sees the problem, bangs on the keyboard for a couple of minutes, and asks the agent next to her, and they get it sorted out pretty quickly. I pop into #2 and clear at the gate.

I tried asking the agents in B what had happened (just out of curiosity more than anything) but they didn't really offer details and they were pretty busy so I got out of their hair. Anyone know what the likely cause was here?
Old May 26, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Did a SDC last week, I had cleared at the window, and after SDC I was #6 for 2 seats. Tried to apply a RUC, twitter agent said I couldn't because the flight was less than three hours away. I noted that in reality it was 3 hours and 17 minutes until departure.

RUC got applied, I moved up to #1 . Get to the airport and shockingly both seats have disappeared. No biggie, I got a window with the middle seat empty, I'll live. Tweet to remove the RUC since I don't want to burn it on the 2nd leg as it's much shorter. Twitter agent removes the RUC but now I'm not on the upgrade list at all. Twitter agent tries some stuff and says to just ask when I arrive at ATL.

I arrive into concourse T, and go to the club upon landing, agent works on it for a few minutes and finally says she can't do it for some reason but the gate agent should be able to activate it, and also notes that I won't clear, I am going to be like #9 for 3 seats (which sounds insane, but ok). I head on over to B and decide to try again there (gate isn't open yet). Agent in the B club sees the problem, bangs on the keyboard for a couple of minutes, and asks the agent next to her, and they get it sorted out pretty quickly. I pop into #2 and clear at the gate.

I tried asking the agents in B what had happened (just out of curiosity more than anything) but they didn't really offer details and they were pretty busy so I got out of their hair. Anyone know what the likely cause was here?
Might have been no shows or other SDC's, but glad you lucked out
Old May 27, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Think he's asking about problem getting on ugrade list, not why he cleared.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Gotcha. It may have been since it was so close to the window, so he needed to be manually added back to the upgrade list. Sounds like some IT issues.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Might have been no shows or other SDC's, but glad you lucked out
I doubt it was no shows since the first comment about "you won't clear" and me getting on the list at #2 were separated by, at most, 15 minutes. I literally left the T club, took the plane train, and on the way to B decided to give it another try at the B club. Sort of the IRL HUCA.

Likewise, I doubt there were 7 SDCs in 15 minutes. Most likely explanation is that the T club agent was reading something wrong.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
yeah, essentially, that was what I really was after
Old May 27, 2019, 7:20 pm

I doubt it was no shows since the first comment about "you won't clear" and me getting on the list at #2 were separated by, at most, 15 minutes. I literally left the T club, took the plane train, and on the way to B decided to give it another try at the B club. Sort of the IRL HUCA.

Likewise, I doubt there were 7 SDCs in 15 minutes. Most likely explanation is that the T club agent was reading something wrong.
Well glad the upgrade cleared!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I've found lots of space lately on longer routes, like CVG-DEN and ATL-DEN. I also just cleared DTW-MCO, which isn't exactly long, but still a likely target for RM holding for FCM.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Almost certainly your RUC was incorrectly coded

There is exactly syntax that they must use precisely and perfectly for the RUC to register correctly. Any error in doing so, or removing any automated upgrade notes in the PNR, causes problems.

I literally had the same thing in E in ATL last year...agent confirmed with another the PU code number and the exact syntax, they applied it, and boom, worked just like yours.

Maybe the Twitter agent was new or didn't know the RUC details (like they're supposed to insert the flight date, but some agents insert the request date, which is wrong and causes downstream problems, same with confusing PU590 and PU591)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: DL
Has anyone ever seen agents with very different views of what certificates you have open/closed? Trying to use my last RUC, and Twitter says the certificate that shows as open on DL.com is closed — but that I have two other ones that are open... (I definitely should only have one.)

I guess I’ll try again with another agent tomorrow and see what happens? If I get to re-use a RUC, that’d be great I guess?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Does a PM *with* a RUC clear before a DM *without* a RUC? (At the gate that is)

trying to figure my odds for a day of departure upgrade on transcon D1.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yes, as long as it was coded correctly. Anyone with any status trying to use an RUC or GUC will clear before anyone who isn't using one. Again, the key words: as long as it was coded correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.