Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I've never tried this with RUC's but I have bought international tickets before using PWM for part of the fare and the diamond desk has allowed me to use GUC's on them. I see now that you can't use GUC's or RUC's with PWM tickets so not sure if I was just lucky with the agents those two times or if it was a rule change.
You can, apparently for about a year now:

UG certs can now be used for PWM and Companion Tix
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PM
I perused the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question, so apologies if it does exist somewhere in the previous 99 pages.

I have an upcoming trip (MSP to PHX) and applied RUCs. No inventory currently available so I wait-listed them. Here are my questions: when the complimentary upgrade window opens, would they first clear my RUC or would they clear DMs & others with higher priority on the underlying fare? And would they complimentary UG me at all since I have an UG in the RUC inventory bucket? I've seen that people remove their RUC when the window approaches and then reapply them, and so I am wondering if that's just to see if they can get the freebie or whether having the RUC applied screws with one's priority & ability to get a complimentary UG.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPtoMEL
I perused the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question, so apologies if it does exist somewhere in the previous 99 pages.

I have an upcoming trip (MSP to PHX) and applied RUCs. No inventory currently available so I wait-listed them. Here are my questions: when the complimentary upgrade window opens, would they first clear my RUC or would they clear DMs & others with higher priority on the underlying fare? And would they complimentary UG me at all since I have an UG in the RUC inventory bucket? I've seen that people remove their RUC when the window approaches and then reapply them, and so I am wondering if that's just to see if they can get the freebie or whether having the RUC applied screws with one's priority & ability to get a complimentary UG.
RUCs always clear ahead of comp upgrades regardless of fare. MSP-PHX is a tough upgrade as PM, especially in winter. I used an RUC on that route a few weeks ago. I only applied it a few days before the 5-day window, and it cleared right at the window. ^ A few DMs were upgraded at the gate. No way I would have gotten F otherwise.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Non D1 lie flat from JFK

Hi. Looking for advice on Wednesday travel just over a week out to RNO via SLC. 757 lie flat but just f service. 5 seats on map and by trying to book 5. No RUC confirm avail. Gate for F is ridiculous over 2000. Opinions on likliehood? The LAXand SFO flights tend to sell out and upg go to gate but not sure on DLC non D1 especially on a Wednesday morning. As a DM I’m thinking not worth waitlisting TUC until medallion window but I’m within 24 hour booking and can arrange my travel for work to go to RNO via another city if the JFK flight is bad upg option. Too tall to be in coach that long. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Roadbob
Hi. Looking for advice on Wednesday travel just over a week out to RNO via SLC. 757 lie flat but just f service. 5 seats on map and by trying to book 5. No RUC confirm avail. Gate for F is ridiculous over 2000. Opinions on likliehood? The LAXand SFO flights tend to sell out and upg go to gate but not sure on DLC non D1 especially on a Wednesday morning. As a DM I’m thinking not worth waitlisting TUC until medallion window but I’m within 24 hour booking and can arrange my travel for work to go to RNO via another city if the JFK flight is bad upg option. Too tall to be in coach that long. Thanks for any advice.
Since you are flying to RNO, your only option without double connecting is to go through SLC. I'm not sure how flexible you are with your schedule since this is a work trip or if its even reasonable for you to fly out of EWR, but the Tuesday evening EWR-SLC flight still has 17 FC seats left on it. Since you said you really need FC for this flight, I wouldn't risk playing around with an RUC and pay up to FC, especially with only 5 seats left a week out, or just plan on sitting in Y and hope for the best.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Was waitlisted on a flight today. Went to checkin and it said I could not checkin nor even change my seat. Decided to call and found I was already cleared but ticket had not been re-issued. Agent handled that.

Question is, I had the same symptoms just a week ago, but as I was getting to the airport early did not bother to call. The TA said the problem was I was listed on 2 identical flights. She cheked me in with my non upgraded C+ seat. Did I screw up by not calling?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Was waitlisted on a flight today. Went to checkin and it said I could not checkin nor even change my seat. Decided to call and found I was already cleared but ticket had not been re-issued. Agent handled that.

Question is, I had the same symptoms just a week ago, but as I was getting to the airport early did not bother to call. The TA said the problem was I was listed on 2 identical flights. She cheked me in with my non upgraded C+ seat. Did I screw up by not calling?
This happened to me 2 weeks ago on the way to LAX. Glad I called, since she was able to finish re-issuing the ticket and check me in for the upgraded segment (as well as extend it to the shorter segment). Unfortunately, you probably got screwed by not calling would be my guess.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Yes you most likely missed getting the seat due to checking you in for C+ instead.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
I recently was able to use 2 RUC's SLC-DCA and back nonstop.

Never saw the extra seat map in the itinerary after being put on the waitlist in January. A month ago, I stopped in the Skyclub and asked if they'd look to make sure they were applied correctly and they said they were. I didn't upgrade early, just at 24 hours.

When it came time to check in online to add baggage, I could do everything but the final step and it told me I needed to call customer service. The agent's first response was "oh, you probably had an upgrade clear." The agent had to talk with the reissue desk to process the upgrade and reticket. The same occurred on the return.

I felt it was a good use of RUC's given the upgrade list was 40 deep each way and I'm only a PM.

I haven't read the entire 99 prior pages, but this was clearly different than a year ago when using the RUC to HNL and thought I'd share.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a flight ATL-PHX recently. On waitlist but couldnt check in - error message said see an agent. Was in Skyclub already for another flight, so I had the agent there check me in. Little did I know when she "fixed" the checkin issue it killed my upgrade. I had to call the Diamond line where they told me the bad news that I had cleared, but then had lost the ug thanks to the Skyclub agent. Thankfully a supervisor was able to restore the upgrade, but it took some time.

If I wasnt hyper-vigilant checking on the RUC status, I would have missed the UG. Moral of the story, always call

Not sure why the automatic re-issue isnt working, but seems to be more than a few people affected by it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I was waitlisted on a RUC on a flight where the return I already cleared on a RUC. JFK to a 5+ hour destination and back.

Today I went to check on my reservation and saw the "upgrade waitlisted" text was missing. Clicking on the seatmap lead to an error.

Sent a tweet to Delta and 5 minutes later they confirmed I cleared the upgrade and gave me the seat.

Amazing how Delta can't figure out how to automatically clear an upgrade, but, I'll always be happy to be able to clear a FC seat 2 weeks in advance for a 5+ hour flight.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I have a segment w/RUC waitlisted. The status shows as 'Upgrade Waitlisted' but no duplicate segment/seatmap. The Twitter teams tell me everything looks like it's coded correctly I'm concerned b/c I don't see the duplicate seatmap. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Seatmap or not is not an indicator it is applied correctly. It can appear and still not be coded correctly .
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
OK, I'm a complete RUC newb (made PM for the first time in a few years). I'm taking some SFO-ATL or SFO-DTW red-eyes over the next few months, so I'd like to make the best use of these certificates this year.

First chance is this week--I'm currently upgraded to a middle C+ seat, I'm planning to see where I am on the comp upgrade list Thur AM and then decide if I will try to use the RUC (I know to make sure that the RUC is aimed at the red-eye leg, not my connection afterwards).

Two Qs
--I plan to do this probably 7-8 times this year--trying to decide if I should just be happy with C+ this flight. Or should I just go for it?
--Is waiting a reasonable plan-if comp upgrade looks bad, then I try to use the RUC?

Much Thx
Dan Spartan
Delta PM
AMEX DL Reserve
HHonors Diamond
National Exec Elite
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Very true- I've been on the wrong side of that also and missed an upgrade thinking it had been coded correctly.

But can the request be coded correctly and not show the duplicate seatmap?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Seatmap or not is not an indicator it is applied correctly. It can appear and still not be coded correctly .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.