Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
Would like advice on use of RUCs. I used my last set of 2018 RUCs to upgrade CVG-SJC in January. Had a PM colleague on same itinerary clear each way at 5 day window. I did not mind burning the RUCs as they would have expired soon and I needed the flexibility on return to use SDC.

I have to do the same trip in late Feb Tue-Thu and don’t really want to burn 2 this early in year and I don’t need SDC flexibility in this case. Not considering WFBF. Considering connecting SLC, LAX, or LAS on outbound, ATL, MSP or DTW on return, morning flights on each. Return might be harder due to larger hubs.

Do I wait for DM window to see if they clear and then apply RUC afterwards if I don’t clear? I won’t have any domestic D1 routes this year, so distance wise these are my longest domestic flights.
If a flight is instantly upgradeable using a RUC, I would use my RUC and confirm it - if you want first, and know this is going to be one of your longer flights, then I would use it. One or two RUCs is more valuable to me than 20k miles, which is the second most valuable PM benefit. I had two RUCs go unused this year, but considering it a win since my 2 RUCs were used for D1 (which would have cost more than 20k miles to upgrade)

If the RUC upgrade isn't instantly available, then yes, wait until after the DM/PM window. You can apply a RUC up until 3 hours before a flight. Good to wait until all the complementary windows have happened before deciding to use a RUC. If you are #1 for 5 seats, then no need to apply a RUC

And the reason I have two expired RUCs is 1 year ago I tried to use my RUCS for D1 on JFK-SAN R/T. Didn't clear either leg, but don't regret trying to get D1 as thats a good use of a RUC. Then, fortunately, I cleared almost all of my comp upgrades, so never really found an opportunity to use a RUC until my next D1 transcon and then ran out of other opportunities to use it
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
If a flight is instantly upgradeable using a RUC, I would use my RUC and confirm it - if you want first, and know this is going to be one of your longer flights, then I would use it. One or two RUCs is more valuable to me than 20k miles, which is the second most valuable PM benefit. I had two RUCs go unused this year, but considering it a win since my 2 RUCs were used for D1 (which would have cost more than 20k miles to upgrade)

If the RUC upgrade isn't instantly available, then yes, wait until after the DM/PM window. You can apply a RUC up until 3 hours before a flight. Good to wait until all the complementary windows have happened before deciding to use a RUC. If you are #1 for 5 seats, then no need to apply a RUC

And the reason I have two expired RUCs is 1 year ago I tried to use my RUCS for D1 on JFK-SAN R/T. Didn't clear either leg, but don't regret trying to get D1 as thats a good use of a RUC. Then, fortunately, I cleared almost all of my comp upgrades, so never really found an opportunity to use a RUC until my next D1 transcon and then ran out of other opportunities to use it
Just curious if you remember the approximate time of year and day of the week you tried to use the RUC for JFK to SAN or back. I would have thought that flight isn't full in paid D1/ F, and at least mid week you should have a good shot of clearing even complimentary....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Just curious if you remember the approximate time of year and day of the week you tried to use the RUC for JFK to SAN or back. I would have thought that flight isn't full in paid D1/ F, and at least mid week you should have a good shot of clearing even complimentary....
The SAN-JFK flight is on a Saturday and is 9 days out and showing like 6 open seats. I was able to instantly confirm it in either November/December of 2018. I would probably clear the comp upgrade, but why stress it when I know I absolutely have a lie flat seat. I'll be curious to see if I clear JFK-SAN, which I'm not sweating since I'm on the 4:59pm flight on a Monday on a 737
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Used a RUC for a HNL-LAX-ATL-VPS trip last month. Once it cleared I was able to SDC to the HNL-SLC-ATL-VPS leg for the lie-flats instead. Now I notice that DL took 2 RUCs, saying they had to reissue the ticket and the other RUC was attached to the old ticket. Also, DL is telling me that the RUC for the original LAX flight was attached to a non-refundable ticket and I can't get it back. That's robbery. Any suggestions on how to approach them about this?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Used a RUC for a HNL-LAX-ATL-VPS trip last month. Once it cleared I was able to SDC to the HNL-SLC-ATL-VPS leg for the lie-flats instead. Now I notice that DL took 2 RUCs, saying they had to reissue the ticket and the other RUC was attached to the old ticket. Also, DL is telling me that the RUC for the original LAX flight was attached to a non-refundable ticket and I can't get it back. That's robbery. Any suggestions on how to approach them about this?
Wow, that is total bs if this was a phone call, HUCA obv. If written, maybe point out that this goes against all previous experience and isn't documented or mentioned anywhere and see if they'll escalate? In my experience when you reply back it doesn't necessarily get handled by the same person anyway (except in one case where an issue seemed to have gotten escalated directly to a manager to begin with)

Good luck, hope you get the second RUC back!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Wow, that is total bs if this was a phone call, HUCA obv. If written, maybe point out that this goes against all previous experience and isn't documented or mentioned anywhere and see if they'll escalate? In my experience when you reply back it doesn't necessarily get handled by the same person anyway (except in one case where an issue seemed to have gotten escalated directly to a manager to begin with)

Good luck, hope you get the second RUC back!
Thanks. After some pestering I did get through to the Skymiles desk and they are going to reissue the second RUC. Crazy that we have to go through all this to use a published benefit, and glad I caught it (only because I was looking at a Companion Certificate expiration date on the same page, or else I'd have never thought to look).
Zorak likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
How far in advance did you apply the RUC to clear it? I used a companion ticket to get D1 for me and my daughter DCA-LAX around Christmas. Separately, I booked LAX-HNL in coach. I called to apply 2 RUC's for LAX-HNL with lie-flats and there it didn't clear immediately.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta DM
I have no use for RUCs this year. What other perk are people choosing instead of RUCs? Will go to zero status once I stop traveling at the end of the year.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by khaliaklb
How far in advance did you apply the RUC to clear it? I used a companion ticket to get D1 for me and my daughter DCA-LAX around Christmas. Separately, I booked LAX-HNL in coach. I called to apply 2 RUC's for LAX-HNL with lie-flats and there it didn't clear immediately.
At booking, which was about a month out. They didn't clear until about the 5-day window for that return leg.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by golfr
I have no use for RUCs this year. What other perk are people choosing instead of RUCs? Will go to zero status once I stop traveling at the end of the year.
You'll have until 1/31/20 to decide but if you have a Delta Am Ex I would do the miles if you aren't getting any use of the RUC's. If you don't find a reasonable RDM trip you can use them to pay with miles.
golfr likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
So am I correct that RUC upgrades will trump even a DM Reserve complementary upgrade?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RobertS975
So am I correct that RUC upgrades will trump even a DM Reserve complementary upgrade?
If it goes to the gate, "Upgrade Certificates clear the airport standby list before Complimentary Upgrades".

Before that, they come out of separate inventory buckets. I can't imagine OY inventory ever being less than OU inside the 5-day window, but who knows what lurks in the minds of revenue management...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You'll have until 1/31/20 to decide but if you have a Delta Am Ex I would do the miles if you aren't getting any use of the RUC's. If you don't find a reasonable RDM trip you can use them to pay with miles.
Thanks for the advice. I do have Delta Plat card. I'm booking all of my current trips w/ the miles that I accrued past 2 years(300k). I will still have some left over but will just save them for a rainy day I guess. Could plan JFK-LAX to see if I could get use out of the RUCs. btw, what's RDM? I'd like to experience Delta One once.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL
RDM is redeemable miles (so Skymiles). Note that, unfortunately, you can’t use RUCs on award tickets.
jamesteroh and golfr like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
RDM is redeemable miles (so Skymiles). Note that, unfortunately, you can’t use RUCs on award tickets.
I've never tried this with RUC's but I have bought international tickets before using PWM for part of the fare and the diamond desk has allowed me to use GUC's on them. I see now that you can't use GUC's or RUC's with PWM tickets so not sure if I was just lucky with the agents those two times or if it was a rule change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.