Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Has Delta become less lenient about applying RUCs after expiration? In years past I've never had an issue applying a an RUC to a flight after the RUC expiration, even as far out as July, so long as the upgrade inventory was available. This year I have flights a few weeks after RUC expiration that have upgrade inventory but am getting a hard no on applying the soon to expire RUCs. I recognize in previous years I was very lucky; just curious if there has been a clamp down...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
In my experience they have become much less lenient. There was a short flight on Xmas Eve with availability just after my RUC expired this year. I tried for 4 months once a week, to get it upgraded (I am stubborn), and could not win.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Had 4 RUCs expiring first week of February... was lamenting about not using them, then sent a tweet to @Delta For some help. Results:

Upgraded on ATL-CUN, but waitlisted on LGA-ATL
Cleared SAN-JFK in D1, waitlisted on JFK-SAN on a 737

Even if these are the only two that cleared, getting D1 for free makes RUC still my fav choice benefit.

What was really great about SAN-JFK is that my flight is a week after my RUC expires. I know it's been repeated on this thread before, but its good to know that if there's space available, you can use a RUC for a flight that occurs after the expiration date. Has anyone reported any issues with that? Because I'd gladly redeem my 2018 choice benefit to ensure I can keep my upgrade.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Had 4 RUCs expiring first week of February... was lamenting about not using them, then sent a tweet to @Delta For some help. Results:

Upgraded on ATL-CUN, but waitlisted on LGA-ATL
Cleared SAN-JFK in D1, waitlisted on JFK-SAN on a 737

Even if these are the only two that cleared, getting D1 for free makes RUC still my fav choice benefit.

What was really great about SAN-JFK is that my flight is a week after my RUC expires. I know it's been repeated on this thread before, but its good to know that if there's space available, you can use a RUC for a flight that occurs after the expiration date. Has anyone reported any issues with that? Because I'd gladly redeem my 2018 choice benefit to ensure I can keep my upgrade.
DL seems to be tightening up on it, but I've been able to use RUCs for flights after expiration. You just have to be able to clear them immediately, and if you have to cancel your flight, the RUC is lost.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
Looking for advice and whether I should HUCA for a fourth time. In my experience, when RUCs cannot clear at time of booking, the scenario listed at the top of the Wiki, is what I would see on delta.com. In this case, I am booking CVG-SJC RT. I have to connect, so after booking on delta.com, I called to apply the RUCs on the long haul segments only, as I do not want to burn them on the shorter connecting flights. After the first call, I did not see the Upgrade Waitlisted on My Trip details, nor do I see the dual seat map for the waitlisted segments. 2 additional calls to the Diamond desk, have resulted in the agents, emphatically stating the RUCs are correctly applied. They chuckled a bit when I made reference to this FlyerTalk thread.

"While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there will be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent."
Quick update on my flights with RUCs. After about a week, I noticed that I could get the same exact fare on the same destination and arrival, with different connecting cities. Looking at expertflyer, it appeared there would be better potential for RUC availability (a guess based on total inventory and available booking fare codes) routing through SLC vs LAX. DM desk was very accommodating and confirmed the RUC was available through SLC on the outbound. They waived the change fee as well. Thank you Delta. A few days later, the return also cleared. I noticed it via Delta.com as the seat map now had the "ghosted" seat chart. So in this case the RUCs did appear to be coded correctly, even though, previous appearances gave concern as to being coded properly.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
There are clearly coding issues still in play with RUC's. I applied one for a trip from STL to SJU in mid January. It was waitlisted. The typical "Upgrade Status: Upgrade Waitlisted" wasn't showing up on either leg initially. I called twice, and both times they said it was showing up as waitlisted for both legs. Fast forward several days when I checked again. The STL to ATL leg is now showing waitlisted while the ATL to SJU leg continues to show nothing. Call DM line again. Nice lady says the coding on the ATL to SJU flight is coded as some sort of "emergency change" coding rather than what she normally sees for RUC's. She said it was not coded correctly. She puts me on hold for quite a while to work on it. She comes back saying that it's now coded correctly, but logging out and back in still shows no message about waitlist.

The takeaway is that even on this most recent call there is the prospect of incorrect coding as she said was the case. I'll be calling again shortly.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I was able to zero out my 3 remaining RUCs in the last three weeks.

Delta One JFK > SFO
Delta One LAS > JFK
Domestic 1st JFK > LAS

Was bummed that the flight I was on to Las Vegas did not have a Delta One cabin, as domestic first really isn't that much to write home about. Either way - content with the RUCs broadly and will just try to use them more aggressively next year on any delta one flight instead of trying to save them up.
jmgriffin and MarkP24 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Jfk- las d1

A JFK- LAS D1 cabin is showing wide open (all 16 seats), RUC is available, and only a handful of C+ seats taken. I'm debating using a RUC due to the possibility of a complimentary upgrade. How far in advance, does Delta usually sell the majority of their cabin for an early Thursday flight?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkP24
A JFK- LAS D1 cabin is showing wide open (all 16 seats), RUC is available, and only a handful of C+ seats taken. I'm debating using a RUC due to the possibility of a complimentary upgrade. How far in advance, does Delta usually sell the majority of their cabin for an early Thursday flight?
There's RUC space available to D1 on a flight you're booked on?? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - take it!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
There's RUC space available to D1 on a flight you're booked on?? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - take it!
Yeah if I can confirm an upgrade on a flight over 3 hours, I'm going to do it. With FCM being out of control these days, it's pretty much now or never.
jamesteroh, Duke787 and MarkP24 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
It just bothers me to use a RUC with a wide open D1 cabin
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MarkP24
It just bothers me to use a RUC with a wide open D1 cabin
How much will it bother you when there's a week to go and it's dwindled down to F2 and you're sweating the upgrade?

It is true that RUC availability means RM does not currently forecast that they'll sell the last seat. RM is reasonably good at what they do. They're not perfect though, and even if there are 1/2 seats will you be first on the list? Will someone decide to take an FCM offer at OLCI? IRROPs accommodation from one of the non-D1 flights? Or maybe a new conference gets scheduled.

OTOH if you want to gamble on it, I guess you're going to the right destination
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Zorak
How much will it bother you when there's a week to go and it's dwindled down to F2 and you're sweating the upgrade?

It is true that RUC availability means RM does not currently forecast that they'll sell the last seat. RM is reasonably good at what they do. They're not perfect though, and even if there are 1/2 seats will you be first on the list? Will someone decide to take an FCM offer at OLCI? IRROPs accommodation from one of the non-D1 flights? Or maybe a new conference gets scheduled.

I would likely be one of the first on the list due to being DM and a Reserve card, but I appreciate the insight from everyone, and you all convinced me. That's what being part of the FT community is all about, so thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Or you can just wait until T-24, then see how many seats are still for sale/unclaimed, where you are on the upgrade list, and how many are below you, then decide whether to pull the RUC and see where you are on the Complimentary Upgrade list. Way too much stress for most, especially when you have so many RUCs available as a Choice Benefit!
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak

Sounds like OP has already decided, but FWIW the other thing RM is really good at is adjusting FC pricing and FCM offers to fill up any forward cabins they notice aren't selling well. I'd expect them to keep dropping the FC prices until that cabin starts selling.
MarkP24 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.