Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
How can I find out what flights the RUC's were applied to?
When I look at my closed RUCs in the wallet, it doesn't show the flight no or date details, but each one is linked to a ticket number, which I can connect to a trip. Do you see that as well? It's a line that says:
"Exchanged Ticket No."
followed by an 006 ticket number.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by daloosh
When I look at my closed RUCs in the wallet, it doesn't show the flight no or date details, but each one is linked to a ticket number, which I can connect to a trip. Do you see that as well? It's a line that says:
"Exchanged Ticket No."
This. You'll have to click on the little triangle/cert number to expand the details.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
I had an RUC clear from JFK-SFO this week on a 7AM Wednesday flight. I am DM and was 4th on upgrade list even with RUC - luckily there were 4 delta one seats available. I cleared 2 minutes before boarding started. Headwinds were strong and so it ended up being quite a long flight - extremely nice to have the rest.

On the return, SFO-JFK I had a 6 AM flight and was 7th on the upgrade list even with an RUC applied successfully! Luckily that flight is much shorter.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:57 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I'm waitlisted for a RUC upgrade for a trip in January. Right after I was put on the waitlist, I could see duplicate seat maps for both segments on delta.com. Recently, a second copy of one of the flights has appeared that says "First Class (OY)" and "Upgrade Contact Delta", and I can still see both duplicate seat maps. My ticket number has not changed from when I bought the ticket. Does this mean the RUC has cleared and I'm in the reissue queue? Should I call and have it pushed through (the RUC expires before the trip, so I'm glad I got an agent to apply it).
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattya9
Anyone have luck using these LAX-JFK-LAX? Was thinking of selecting RUC's for my Platinum benefit and using them to upgrade the Mrs. and I on a future LAX-JFK round trip. I know this is an extremely premium heavy route, however our flexibility is completely wide open. I can literally call up the diamond desk and say I have 4 RUC's... what's availible on LAX-JFK-LAX next year? Has this worked for anyone out there? Trying to get an idea before I make my selection.

OPS
I fly between LAX and JFK somewhat regularly, and have been able to use my RUCs every year, although they rarely confirm in advance unless I'm flying on a light travel day. Usually, the night before my flight, I'll look at the earliest flights of the day and SDC to the one with the most open D1 seats, then apply the RUC. I just made my 2019 selection this month, and used my first RUC to wait list (and cleared at the gate) on a recent 8am JFK-LAX flight.
mattya9 likes this.

Last edited by Bicoastal Local; Dec 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by daloosh
"Exchanged Ticket No."
Thanks! Ended up calling the diamond desk and the agent said it was applied on my LAS/DTW flight I took in November. I was waited listed and was number 1 on the upgrade list and the flight was at f-0 at least five days out (was a big convention that had finished up that Friday so probably lots of paid F flyers). I told the agent I wasn't sitting in F and had my original assigned C+ seat. He opened up a case and took some info down and said he was going to try to have someone reopen the RUC and to call back in a few days. The GA said they would pull me if a no-show occurred and to board. I know F left full because there were no empty seats up front. Weird.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by VFR
Does this mean the RUC has cleared and I'm in the reissue queue?
Seems likely.

Originally Posted by VFR
Should I call and have it pushed through (the RUC expires before the trip, so I'm glad I got an agent to apply it).
I'm assuming though that it hasn't expired *yet* (just that it *will* expire before the trip). On one hand calling in risks running into a rules stickler who will realize you're applying an RUC to a flight after expiration and puts the kibosh on it. On the other hand if you don't call in, it might not make it to the top of the reissue queue before expiration (depending when that is)

There's no guarantees but if it were me I think I'd lean towards calling in now.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:27 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
It expires in late December, so I think I'll wait another week or so. Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by pvn
H>V, so the other guy gets it, assuming there are two seats. If there's only one you might get it or the gate agent might ask the other guy if they want to split their PNR.
I was under the impression that fare basis (and Medallion status) was not factored into the RUC process, only time of request.

Can I get clarification / confirmation on this?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jasonNYC85
I had an RUC clear from JFK-SFO this week on a 7AM Wednesday flight. I am DM and was 4th on upgrade list even with RUC - luckily there were 4 delta one seats available. I cleared 2 minutes before boarding started. Headwinds were strong and so it ended up being quite a long flight - extremely nice to have the rest.

On the return, SFO-JFK I had a 6 AM flight and was 7th on the upgrade list even with an RUC applied successfully! Luckily that flight is much shorter.
I'm really curious if RUC waitlisting is being correctly represented on the upgrade lists. I recently flew JFK-SFO-JFK, with RUCs waitlisted both ways. On the outbound, I was #6 for 11 open seats (764). While I cleared, my RUC was not closed (it's going to expire before I can reuse it), leading me to think that the GA just processed regular upgrades. On the return, I was #4 for 1 open seat.

My recollection from flying when certificates were the only way to get on the upgrade list was that there were never more than maybe 3 people listed for upgrades. (I tend to fly off peak.) Between that and my experience on the outbound, I'm suspicious that some part of this opaque process was broken, at least for my trip...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
I'm really curious if RUC waitlisting is being correctly represented on the upgrade lists. I recently flew JFK-SFO-JFK, with RUCs waitlisted both ways. On the outbound, I was #6 for 11 open seats (764). While I cleared, my RUC was not closed (it's going to expire before I can reuse it), leading me to think that the GA just processed regular upgrades. On the return, I was #4 for 1 open seat.

My recollection from flying when certificates were the only way to get on the upgrade list was that there were never more than maybe 3 people listed for upgrades. (I tend to fly off peak.) Between that and my experience on the outbound, I'm suspicious that some part of this opaque process was broken, at least for my trip...
It wouldn't surprise me - and because it is so opaque, there is no way of really knowing,
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
First time DL Plat so first time using RUCs and got very lucky.

Flying RDU - SEA - RDU with my wife next year. Called earlier this week and there was no space (not surprising because A319 metal). However with schedule change Saturday today the plane was swapped to a 738 for our dates so I called back and RUC space was confirmable in both directions.

Certainly no complaints -- it's not D1 but it's one of the longest domestic flights in the system (even if it is on the 738 -- would have preferred the A319 but then again would rather have RUCs that clear at booking). Bonus was that the trip was booked with my AMEX Plat companion pass so total out of pocket cost for roundtrip F to SEA will come out to ~$334 for two people.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:37 pm

Nice work!

I have 2 more RUCs that I am trying to use before they expire Jan 4. I have JFK > LAS coming up. The return, LAS>JFK insta-cleared on the phone in D1 (shortest D1 flight available?) I'm waitlisted on the outbound which isn't even a D1 flight - but use them or lose them!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I was under the impression that fare basis (and Medallion status) was not factored into the RUC process, only time of request.

Can I get clarification / confirmation on this?
If a seat becomes available in the cabin you are waitlisted for, upgrades will clear automatically based on Medallion Status. If multiple Members on the waitlist have the same Medallion Tier, upgrades will clear using the date and time each request was added to the waitlist.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html/#waitlist
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Looking for advice and whether I should HUCA for a fourth time. In my experience, when RUCs cannot clear at time of booking, the scenario listed at the top of the Wiki, is what I would see on delta.com. In this case, I am booking CVG-SJC RT. I have to connect, so after booking on delta.com, I called to apply the RUCs on the long haul segments only, as I do not want to burn them on the shorter connecting flights. After the first call, I did not see the Upgrade Waitlisted on My Trip details, nor do I see the dual seat map for the waitlisted segments. 2 additional calls to the Diamond desk, have resulted in the agents, emphatically stating the RUCs are correctly applied. They chuckled a bit when I made reference to this FlyerTalk thread.

"While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there will be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.