Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Anyone with experience on the likelihood of a JFK to LAS Regional upgrade (Platinum) clearing with 4 seats still available for sale on Delta One on a Tuesday morning a few weeks out, and if so when would they likely clear it?
I had an ATL-LAS clear at booking a couple months ago. But I had to book the 7am departure and the cabin was wide open at the time.

Return surprisingly cleared on its own about a month prior to departure. Again wide open cabin and it cleared right after the flight was upgauged to a 767.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee
I had an ATL-LAS clear at booking a couple months ago. But I had to book the 7am departure and the cabin was wide open at the time.

Return surprisingly cleared on its own about a month prior to departure. Again wide open cabin and it cleared right after the flight was upgauged to a 767.
Thanks so much! Based on current availability, it doesn't look like I will get so lucky, but at least I know that it is a possibility. For my return, I decided not to waitlist a Regional upgrade, as there were about 10 seats available, and as it's a Wednesday evening, I think I have a fair shot at it. In the past my flights on this route JFK- LAS and back have been prior to them calling it Delta One, and my upgrades have cleared about 65% of the time. Any reason to assume the change in seating will change my upgrade experience?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks so much! Based on current availability, it doesn't look like I will get so lucky, but at least I know that it is a possibility. For my return, I decided not to waitlist a Regional upgrade, as there were about 10 seats available, and as it's a Wednesday evening, I think I have a fair shot at it. In the past my flights on this route JFK- LAS and back have been prior to them calling it Delta One, and my upgrades have cleared about 65% of the time. Any reason to assume the change in seating will change my upgrade experience?
It depends how far out the trip is. Those same flights I had that were wide open only had 2-3 seats left 1 week prior to the flight. People will WFBF on these longer flights.

Not sure what change in seating you're referencing. If you're talking about an equipment change - IME the switch to a larger plane will sometimes result in a few more UGs happening, but also it's an indication that RM expects more people to be taking that flight so it will eventually book up as well. It's all really a crap shoot.

For your return, if you think you'll get the medallion UG you can always check in and see where you are on the UG list, and then call and apply the RUC if it appears it's not high enough. The only thing you lose is the time of request tiebreaker.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Only one of the flights is D1, rest are domestic F. LAS regardless of flight tends to have high paid F.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Anyone with experience on the likelihood of a JFK to LAS Regional upgrade (Platinum) clearing with 4 seats still available for sale on Delta One on a Tuesday morning a few weeks out, and if so when would they likely clear it?
it will almost certainly go to the gate
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:27 am

Apologies if this been asked and answered before as this thread is super long but some questions as I’m about to get 4 RUCs for the first time.

Does anyone recommend using them months in advance? Ex: have a nonstop flight from HNL to JFK in December. Right now there’s 24 FC available. Debating if I should just lock it in to confirm or wait to see if there’s actually a chance I could get upgraded as a PM with companion.

If you decide to decide to confirm early with RUC and then maybe a couple days prior you still see there’s a ton of open FC seats can you pull the RUCs back?

if a flight has a layover and you use an RUC does 1 RUC apply to both legs of the trip or would you need to use 2?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:41 am
pvn
Suspended

The number of open seats doesn't matter. You can only "lock it in to confirm" if there is upgrade inventory available, and to find out you need to call. If there's not inventory you can waitlist.

You can apply an RUC to both flights if you're connecting, assuming you don't have a broken fare. If you can't confirm immediately on both flights it's generally a good idea to waitlist only for the longer of the two flights to avoid the disaster scenario where it clears in advance on the short segment and doesn't clear on the long segment.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:06 am

Well you can make the case the number of open seats does matter. If two days before departure there’s a slew of open seats available couldn’t you take the risk of hoping to clear via upgrade vs burning an RUC?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Well you can make the case the number of open seats does matter. If two days before departure there’s a slew of open seats available couldn’t you take the risk of hoping to clear via upgrade vs burning an RUC?
Open seats means nothing. It can be sold out and no one assigned a seat.

JFK/HNL will most certainly not have any upgrades at all. In fact it usually sells out on J not days, but weeks before.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
it will almost certainly go to the gate
Gotcha. So as a Delta Platinum with a Reserve card, is this considered a good use of a RUC or better spent elsewhere i.e. JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO? I'm based in NYC, and I can use them with a companion. I'm wary to burn them too easily...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Only one of the flights is D1, rest are domestic F. LAS regardless of flight tends to have high paid F.
Yes. That has been my experience as well. As I'm based in NYC, I'm flying JFK to LAS and returning LAS to JFK. My debate is whether to burn a RUC on the return with 10 seats in D1 open or hope for the upgrade to clear on its own.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It's been my experience that I need a RUC to clear from C+ to D1 on JFK-SFO. I check in tonite and see I'm 16 of 57 for 15 seats. I'd say there are usually fewer seats available on this flight (it is a 767, often it's a 757 with many fewer D1 seats). It takes nearly half an hour to apply the RUC, and I move up to 5 of 57, which is great. But in the application, my C+ seats are lost and they can't get them back. I go from C+ 16E, the aisle, to 26D, a middle seat in Y on the outbound and from C+ 19E to 26C in the back, both aisles. CSR tells me other people have been moved into my seats and there's no way to get them back.

As you may imagine, I am grateful for the application of the RUC, but it's no guarantee, and I could be going TCON in the dreaded middle in the rear, after having a perfectly acceptable Comfort plus seat both ways. We spend the next hour going around the block with help desks and the gist of it is they can't get my seat back, and offer me a $200 voucher or 5K miles. I very quietly and respectfully lose my ****, we escalate to a supervisor who approves moving me into D1 tonite, rather than just hoping it works out. This is the right outcome, but it took a total of over an hour and half of "no" to get there.

I was stunned by the offer of 5K miles for the downgrade from C+ to Y, it's just insulting. This only highlights the horrible IT DL has, not to mention the problems with calling in to apply an upgrade certificate. It should be a simple thing, not 90+ minutes of bad news. They did get my return C+ seat back after only two trips around the block.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:08 am
pvn
Suspended

Gotcha. So as a Delta Platinum with a Reserve card, is this considered a good use of a RUC or better spent elsewhere i.e. JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO? I'm based in NYC, and I can use them with a companion. I'm wary to burn them too easily...
well, first question, are you planning on traveling to LAX or SFO in the next year or before the certs expire? There's certainly nothing wrong with using them on a domestic D1 flight. Using them on something is better than letting them expire.
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
well, first question, are you planning on traveling to LAX or SFO in the next year or before the certs expire? There's certainly nothing wrong with using them on a domestic D1 flight. Using them on something is better than letting them expire.
This. Nobody here can really give you a definitive answer. But if you can confirm the UG right away or if the using the RUC is the difference between an UG or not on a flight that matters to you, then it's a cert well-used. In the past I used to play the "maybe I'll get a free UG" game and always ended the year with 1 or 2 unused RUCs that I had to burn on random <2 hr flights. Now I just earn 'em and burn 'em.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Yes. That has been my experience as well. As I'm based in NYC, I'm flying JFK to LAS and returning LAS to JFK. My debate is whether to burn a RUC on the return with 10 seats in D1 open or hope for the upgrade to clear on its own.
I flew JFK-LAS D1 recently and it had 10 seats open a few days out. At about 3 days out, companion and I both cleared into D1 (OU class).

Originally Posted by daloosh
It's been my experience that I need a RUC to clear from C+ to D1 on JFK-SFO. I check in tonite and see I'm 16 of 57 for 15 seats. I'd say there are usually fewer seats available on this flight (it is a 767, often it's a 757 with many fewer D1 seats). It takes nearly half an hour to apply the RUC, and I move up to 5 of 57, which is great. But in the application, my C+ seats are lost and they can't get them back. I go from C+ 16E, the aisle, to 26D, a middle seat in Y on the outbound and from C+ 19E to 26C in the back, both aisles. CSR tells me other people have been moved into my seats and there's no way to get them back.

As you may imagine, I am grateful for the application of the RUC, but it's no guarantee, and I could be going TCON in the dreaded middle in the rear, after having a perfectly acceptable Comfort plus seat both ways. We spend the next hour going around the block with help desks and the gist of it is they can't get my seat back, and offer me a $200 voucher or 5K miles. I very quietly and respectfully lose my ****, we escalate to a supervisor who approves moving me into D1 tonite, rather than just hoping it works out. This is the right outcome, but it took a total of over an hour and half of "no" to get there.

I was stunned by the offer of 5K miles for the downgrade from C+ to Y, it's just insulting. This only highlights the horrible IT DL has, not to mention the problems with calling in to apply an upgrade certificate. It should be a simple thing, not 90+ minutes of bad news. They did get my return C+ seat back after only two trips around the block.
The only right thing is for them to move you up, if they lost your C+ seats and cannot get them back. I am glad that worked out for you on the outbound.

How did they get your C+ seat back on the return? Did they remove the person upgraded into your seat, put you into a blocked C+ seat, what?
daloosh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.