Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
If you've been upgraded via RUC, that entitles you to front-cabin SDC benefits.

sethb was saying that if he received an medallion upgrade but then wanted to SDC, he would need to call in an a) undo the medallion upgrade then b) apply an RUC then c) assuming RUC space is available, receive that upgrade then d) SDC the reissued, RUC-upgraded ticket.

Seems like an awful lot of work and is certainly one of the reasons that a confirmed-in-advance RUC is much better than an airport-waitlist one.
Is that true though? When I've been upgraded with an RUC and confirmed into O class, I've tried to SDC to another flight in First and was told that you need the same inventory -- not the way it works if you bought a cheapo first ticket
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Is that true though? When I've been upgraded with an RUC and confirmed into O class, I've tried to SDC to another flight in First and was told that you need the same inventory -- not the way it works if you bought a cheapo first ticket
The agent was misinformed, hang up and call again. If the ticket has been reissued, you are entitled to SDC to any available F seat. If the ticket hasn't been reissued but you have a confirmed RUC, ask the agent to manually reissue it.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I was upgraded into RY with a RUC (and RU as a DM on the return flights). Any paid upgrade (RUC, GUC, miles, purchased) into F qualifies you for SDC under the F rules. Complimentary medallion upgrades do not.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Some fun language from the email I just got from DL after selecting my 2018 RUCs:
ON THE WAITLIST?While it's possible for upgrade requests on the waitlist to be cleared before you get to the gate, it is more likely that they will be cleared at the gate prior to departure. If your Certificate does not clear, it will be automatically reissued to your account.
Same language also found here in the upgrade certs section: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-upgrades.html

So it's nice to know they're at least being honest that RY will rarely exist in advance. Also info I hadn't seen before about waitlisting the same cert to multiple flights.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I haven't had much trouble finding RY space in advance, and my west coast trips where I use these are generally booked about 2 weeks in advance. I don't have super-flexible plans, I usually need to travel on a specific day though I have good flexibility on time on a given day usually.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Last connection of trip earlier this month was SLC-MCO. I had bought the tickets for my wife and I in May and it actually cleared about a month later. Hope I have the same luck on some others that are waitlisted right now. We started home from LAS and almost didn't make the plane with a two hour layover. As we were hustling to the plane (boarded with zone 3) I was hoping that we weren't rebooked on the red eye.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by pvn
The agent was misinformed, hang up and call again. If the ticket has been reissued, you are entitled to SDC to any available F seat. If the ticket hasn't been reissued but you have a confirmed RUC, ask the agent to manually reissue it.
PVN is right, this is probably the BIGGEST issue with agent's is that they do not understand the SDC rules using an already cleared RUC......have to HUCB 2 or 3 times usually to get someone who understands the correct rule.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:31 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I have not seen this happen before and hope someone can advise.

I have a RUC waitlisted for a flight that is now 2 weeks away. When originally applied I saw the "phantom" seat map in the app and online, and a status of "Upgrade waitlisted" on delta.com. I checked yesterday (as I do each Saturday) and everything was still in order.

Late this afternoon (Sunday) I received a "flight receipt" from Delta. I had not taken any action that would have led to me receiving any correspondence from Delta. Since receiving this, the "phantom" seat map disappeared from both the app and online. The only remaining seat map shows me in my assigned seat in comfort plus. The same number of F seats are available today as were available yesterday. Thinking that this receipt might have been prompted by the certificate clearing, I called in to ask. The agent said that the certificate had not cleared and was still applied to that segment. I asked her to check to see if there was RY inventory and she said no.

Any ideas what might have caused the receipt e-mail to be sent and the "phantom" seat map to disappear? Should I be concerned about the certificate not being properly applied now that the "phantom" seat map is gone? If the advice is to call back, are there any magic words I should use to confirm that the certificate is applied correctly?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I would HUCA. The seat map changes you described usually mean that you have cleared. IIRC there is some intermediate ticket state between clearing and actually having a seat, which not all agents know about.

I vaguely remember one agent telling me there was a distinction between I think KL meaning you've cleared the waitlist but don't have a confirmed seat yet, and HK for "holding confirmed"? But i wouldn't maybe try to use those terms without someone else clarifying/correcting me here
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there will be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done.

Flying today ATL-SLC-ABQ I did not have the second seat map on the website 2 days ago so I called and asked if it was attached. The Diamond rep said it was, I explained that that I don't see it on the website the way it normally does. She got curt with me and said " I can only tell you what I see" in a pretty snappy voice. I said thanks and hung up. Anyway did they change the website where you don't see it now?

I was number 1 on both flights but can't tell since I am diamond and had a pretty high priced ticket if they were actually on there.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by estedman
) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there will be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done.

Flying today ATL-SLC-ABQ I did not have the second seat map on the website 2 days ago so I called and asked if it was attached. The Diamond rep said it was, I explained that that I don't see it on the website the way it normally does. She got curt with me and said " I can only tell you what I see" in a pretty snappy voice. I said thanks and hung up. Anyway did they change the website where you don't see it now?

I was number 1 on both flights but can't tell since I am diamond and had a pretty high priced ticket if they were actually on there.
It always been it may or may not show up. It's just a matter of in past most took the extra step that caused the 2nd map to appear. However it's never been a required step.
estedman likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Had another problem a while back. I called to apply a RUC; the agent said it cleared, and everything looked good. The web site said I was in class RY, with a seat in F.

Then I tried to SDC. That didn't work. Two separate agents tried, got supervisors, couldn't do it. One wanted to charge me for the change. They knew I should be able to SDC, the computer wouldn't let them.

Fortunately I have an inside contact, who was able to find out that the agent I called to apply the RUC didn't bother to do any of the correct process, just changed my class to RY and gave me a seat in F.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Had another problem a while back. I called to apply a RUC; the agent said it cleared, and everything looked good. The web site said I was in class RY, with a seat in F.

Then I tried to SDC. That didn't work. Two separate agents tried, got supervisors, couldn't do it. One wanted to charge me for the change. They knew I should be able to SDC, the computer wouldn't let them.

Fortunately I have an inside contact, who was able to find out that the agent I called to apply the RUC didn't bother to do any of the correct process, just changed my class to RY and gave me a seat in F.
Did the RUC get used? I think that's what happened that time I used a RUC and it stayed open, allowing me to use it again.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I called yesterday to apply a bunch of RUCs and the agent wanted to use one that I knew had already cleared (RY was available at booking). He looked into it and could see that it was applied and cleared, but said that they hadn't reticketed and "they are obviously waiting to see if the return will clear".

Flight isn't until October but I'm planning to call in a couple days out if it still hasn't reticketed as I may need to SDC. But this agent sounded particularly knowledgeable (or really good at BSing) and what he said aligns with my recent instrument UG experiences.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by WWads
Did the RUC get used? I think that's what happened that time I used a RUC and it stayed open, allowing me to use it again.
I've had that happen a few times, except with GUCs.

I thought it was because I was special and had a secret admirer at DL. Thanks for bursting that bubble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.