Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Newbie to Platinum.... Can you use a regional upgrade certificate on an award flight ?
Upgrade Certificates Overview

"Ticket Eligibility: Upgrade Certificates cannot be used on Award Travel or tickets booked in Basic Economy (E)"

Worth skimming that page and the thread wiki to minimize surprises later (and mentally prepare for how hard it can be to use these sometimes )
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
Upgrade Certificates Overview

"Ticket Eligibility: Upgrade Certificates cannot be used on Award Travel or tickets booked in Basic Economy (E)"

Worth skimming that page and the thread wiki to minimize surprises later (and mentally prepare for how hard it can be to use these sometimes )
I did read that which is why I’m confused.
I had originally called before I knew and asked to apply one to my award flight and the agent said ok , but that there wasn’t availability now and I’d be on the wait list.

So if it’s not eligible what happened? Did the agent over ride or was she mistaken and is it not applied?

Tomorrow is 5 days out and I’m curious if I get an upgrade if it’s due to be regular 5 day window or the RUC, And whether that means I still have my certs.

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by StangGT909

I did read that which is why I’m confused.
I had originally called before I knew and asked to apply one to my award flight and the agent said ok , but that there wasn’t availability now and I’d be on the wait list.

So if it’s not eligible what happened? Did the agent over ride or was she mistaken and is it not applied?

Tomorrow is 5 days out and I’m curious if I get an upgrade if it’s due to be regular 5 day window or the RUC, And whether that means I still have my certs.

"what happened" is that the agent probably forgot, nothing more.

Check in your wallet but if you haven't cleared then you (should) Still have the certs.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
"what happened" is that the agent probably forgot, nothing more.

Check in your wallet but if you haven't cleared then you (should) Still have the certs.

Thanks, I didn’t realize they showed up in the wallet.

I’ll see what happens if I clear or not but at least I know.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

SDC'd a two-segment itinerary for tomorrow where both segments cleared RUC in advance.

Not even a hint at pushback from the agent, even though I grabbed true F inventory. That's three consecutive SDCs on RUCs without pushback, perhaps word is getting out to the agents?
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:34 pm

I'm a DM. If you really want an upgrade on a busy route, use your certificate early. It can clear immediately if there are enough seats left. If you wait until the last minute, especially after DM/PMs start clearing on revenue upgrades, they may sell out.

If you're okay with skipping the upgrade this time and hoping they may give you a revenue upgrade, I've had some success using them last minute, but far less likely.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This was third time lucky, as my RUC didn't clear and left me as the bubble boy on two earlier DCA-LAX trips this year. At 0235 EDT this morning Delta cleared my RUC upgrade for tomorrow's JFK-SLC which departs in the 1100 hour; this is a 737-900 and there are still 3 F empties left.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
SDC'd a two-segment itinerary for tomorrow where both segments cleared RUC in advance.

Not even a hint at pushback from the agent, even though I grabbed true F inventory. That's three consecutive SDCs on RUCs without pushback, perhaps word is getting out to the agents?
Welp, ran into a brick wall this morning, the agent tried telling me that even though my RUC had cleared and ticket had been re-issued, I had to have RY available to SDC from F into F. She also mentioned that she couldn't even waitlist the RUC since it had been reissued, so if I did change, the RUC would be forfeited.

HUCA, next agent made the change no questions asked in about 5 seconds.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I love when things work the way it supposed to. Applied ruc late and didnt clear right away. Got put at the top of the upgrade list atl to lax. Cleared 1 hour before flight. They got rid of lie flat airplanes. But whatever.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:20 pm

I love when things work the way it supposed to. Applied ruc late and didnt clear right away. Got put at the top of the upgrade list atl to lax. Cleared 1 hour before flight. They got rid of lie flat airplanes. But whatever.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:57 am

A couple of days ago I booked two BOS-LAX flights for 5/12 and 6/15. Neither had immediately cinfirmavle space but as my certs expire in mid July I waitlisted them. No less than 5 days later, I get reissue emails for both tickets showing that the RUC has cleared.

I know BOS-LAX may not be the _most_ difficult route to get up front, but given the size of the J cabin and the fares they were selling J for, I'm pretty darn pleased. I'm also shocked that OY inventory opened up for both at the same time. Kind of makes you wonder if RM occasionally reviews RUC requests. I'm also pretty surprised that waitlisted then clearing worked correctly.

Both flights were DL1253, one departing at 7:32
Am and the other at 7:40 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by golfr
False.

Originally Posted by ograff
A couple of days ago I booked two BOS-LAX flights for 5/12 and 6/15. Neither had immediately cinfirmavle space but as my certs expire in mid July I waitlisted them. No less than 5 days later, I get reissue emails for both tickets showing that the RUC has cleared.

I know BOS-LAX may not be the _most_ difficult route to get up front, but given the size of the J cabin and the fares they were selling J for, I'm pretty darn pleased. I'm also shocked that OY inventory opened up for both at the same time. Kind of makes you wonder if RM occasionally reviews RUC requests. I'm also pretty surprised that waitlisted then clearing worked correctly.

Both flights were DL1253, one departing at 7:32
Am and the other at 7:40 am
I think they might, when coded correctly. I read the syntax agents are supposed to use for coding the UG certs, but many seem to use either the wrong code (mix up PU590 and PU591, the RUC and GUC codes) and then they are supposed to input the date of the flight, but many put in the date of the request.

I think if requests can be reviewed, the "reviewer" uses some automated list formation to pull up pending requests. I bet these requests only populate on this automated function correctly, when the agent has used exactly the correct syntax. This would make sense in that cases where follow up calls have caused an agent to blame a mis-code for not clearing, the "reviewer" couldn't properly pull the [incorrectly coded] request.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gooselee
That's the basic idea. If you can wait until after the northeast weather situation is over, you have a better chance of getting a more knowledgeable agent (or just not being on hold as long).

I've found that it helps if you have a list of flights you want the agent to check on and can feed them flight #s to check for inventory on. IIRC they should be looking for available "RP" inventory which will allow you to clear the upgrade immediately upon applying the RUC.
Update: called this morning and booked BOI-BOS-BOI for October (after not getting through last night with 2+ hour hold times). Went smooth and painless. Gave the system the itinerary and was connected to the agent. Gave him the RUC redemption numbers and the flights I was looking at. The flights to/from BOS didn't have any RY availability, so I asked him to look at other options on those dates to find RY availability all the way there and back. He found it quickly and got us booked. Added bonus - per ticket prices were $100-$200 lower than when I priced them last night.

All-in-all, a very good experience.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:23 am

Pardon me if this is already posted/asked as this is quite a long thread! I had previously read where you never really know if you are on the RUC waitlist. I have 2 different booked itineraries, one I've requested the RUC and the other I have not. When I look under "My Trips", the one where I have the RUC requested says:
MANAGE COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES
Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted

The one that I don't just has:
MANAGE COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES

Could this be an indication that I am on the RUC list?

11 FC Seats for a Wednesday and its been at 11 for a while.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I got an instant clear MSP-SAN Thursday evening a couple of days ago. I'd almost certainly get the upgrade anyway, but I want to do SDC to an early flight and that wouldn't work. (SDS probably would, but then I'd probably have a C- seat, possibly a middle one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.