Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I have 2 RUCs expiring end of January. My next flight would be February. If there's space on the flight, is it possible to use these RUCs to have an upgrade confirmed? Seeing if anyone has had experience with getting an RUC applied on a flight post its expiration date.
I just did this earlier today, I have certificates expiring next week, found flights for a trip next month, and the agent booked and reissued the tickets while I was on the phone.

However, the first agent I spoke to this morning told me that the policy has changed and that you must travel before expiration, so clearly HUCA may be required.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bretthexum
With waitlisting becoming the new norm... can you waitlist for multiple flights on the same RUC? They aren't actually used until it's re ticketed. For example:
I have a MSP-LAS waitlisted since August for a March flight. When I waitlisted, zero seats sold according to Diamond Desk. If these sit for 6 months in a "waitlist", can I try to apply them to another flight before that? Having them sit in limbo for 6 months isn't worth much to me. That's why I had some expire on me in Dec.
IIRC although you can indicate which cert you want associated with a particular waitlist request I believe that is merely recorded as a note and there is no linkage in any sort of database sense. If that is the case then I would think it's possible to have more waitlist requests than certificates and they'll just pull one whenever it's needed to reissue a given ticket. Although I could also see this leading to difficulties if cert A has already been used on trip B and is also waitlisted on trip C which clears and can't be reissued -- the system might not be smart enough to use a different cert even if available. Or worse, if you are out of RUCs maybe it would use an available GUC.

So I'd be curious to try it but would also proceed cautiously to avoid the latter scenario.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Actaully got two of these to clear for me and a companion ATL-SAN this Wednesday.
No go on the flight home on Sunday thus far though.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
First time using RUC's and was pleasantly surprised. Use two for my husband and I for our flight home from Liberia, Costa Rica to Boise. There were only four seats in first left and we cleared immediately.

And used the other two for LAX to SJU in September, connecting through JFK (Delta One) and both cleared instantly too.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
Another data point: No second seat map for me for JFK-LAX today booked about 3 weeks ago. Cleared at the gate today along with 3 others.
Just wait listed SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO with RUCs, no second seat map for either leg. I had an agent via Twitter DM apply the certs and called diamond desk twice to verify everything was done correctly. Hoping the lack of the second seat map is intentional in which case wiki may need to be updated.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by JAeX
Just wait listed SFO-JFK and JFK-SFO with RUCs, no second seat map for either leg. I had an agent via Twitter DM apply the certs and called diamond desk twice to verify everything was done correctly. Hoping the lack of the second seat map is intentional in which case wiki may need to be updated.
I haven't seen the 2nd seat map in a while -- neither for waitlisted GUC nor RUCs
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I'm on RUC waitlists for two different PNRs, and both are showing the second seatmap. Note that this is only visible on the web site and not the app.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I had two RUCs clear on two different itineraries recently, one last week and one on a trip in a couple weeks. The RUC that cleared for last week’s trip displayed correctly at first, extra seat map (app and online) and second flight listing (online only), but the seat map then disappeared from online (still showed up in the app) and the online listing changed to “Waitlist Requested”. The second itinerary never had the flight listing or seat map show up online or in the app but did indicate “Waitlist Requested”. Multiple direct messages over Twitter confirmed the RUC had been coded correctly. Once the RUC began to clear I could see the seat map in F though in the second itinerary the Twitter rep had to manually assign me a seat.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Upgrade list didn't change ?

Was the cert applied correctly?

Flying SLC-BNA today. Plat, originally #7 . Called to apply RUC. Checked back and still #7 ?

background
1) She un-checked me in
2) I see 2 seat maps
3) status shows "upgrade -waitlisted

I suppose all 6 in front could have used a cert, but seems very improbable.

In my research, I should be coded as UP2B? Do you call in and ask to confirm that status?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
You guys are still seeing second seat maps? I haven't seen one in a while. I've also missed some upgrades though multiple calls have claimed the certs applied correctly.

I am waitlisted for JFK-LAX a week from Wed. The app (and seat map) show 26 seats available in D1. My outbound RUC cleared at application and that only has 16 seats available. The joys of RM
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by I 40
Was the cert applied correctly?

Flying SLC-BNA today. Plat, originally #7 . Called to apply RUC. Checked back and still #7 ?

background
1) She un-checked me in
2) I see 2 seat maps
3) status shows "upgrade -waitlisted

I suppose all 6 in front could have used a cert, but seems very improbable.

In my research, I should be coded as UP2B? Do you call in and ask to confirm that status?
Sounds like your cert hasn't been coded correctly to put you on the standby upgrade list (instead of the complimentary upgrade list.) AFAIK, UP2B isn't a status anymore; just call back and say you didn't move up the upgrade list like you thought you would.
I 40 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: Dl Diamond & Million Miler ; Priority Club Plat Elite, Hertz PC
Will Delta ever educate their employees with regard to using these certificates. I am so sick of having to educate their employees.

Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Just imagine the wasted time for both customers and twitter/diamond desk for using these stupid things. My number one request to Delta is to make RUC/GUC inventory searchable thru the website. Even if the inventory is reduced, it would save both customer and Delta countless hours in productivity.
It's nonsense to call/tweet, and go thru the "can you check this flight", "can you check that one", "how about the day after"
Rhinolicious likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Sounds like your cert hasn't been coded correctly to put you on the standby upgrade list (instead of the complimentary upgrade list.) AFAIK, UP2B isn't a status anymore; just call back and say you didn't move up the upgrade list like you thought you would.
Went thru @Delta, they said it was wait listed and showing a pending status. Replied I didn't know what that meant. Next tweet said I was good, and I confirmed as much on the upgrade list (#1).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mcwussow
Will Delta ever educate their employees with regard to using these certificates. I am so sick of having to educate their employees.

For what it's worth, I think using the Delta Twitter customer service is no longer worth the effort. A couple years ago, they used to have magical powers. Now, increasingly, the Twitter agents can't help me. Also, it's often quicker just calling the diamond desk. The only time I use the Twitter agents now is when I'm in-flight or overseas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.