Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I asked via twitter to apply a RUC to a LAX-JFK redeye. The 2nd LAX-JFK entry appeared under the PNR in "My Trips" so I assumed everything was OK. On day of departure I did not see the upgrade list at all (in the app or the website), only the standby list. I asked twitter about this and they said everything was fine, but only the airport agents could see the list, which seemed weird to me but ok.

At LAX, I asked the skyclub desk agent about it, she said "your RUC isn't activated correctly, call the platinum desk and they'll activate it". I called in, gave her one of my certificate numbers, and 5 seconds later I could see the standby list.

I cleared at the gate, #1 of 2 for 2 seats, fwiw.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
You cleared on a LAX-JFK red-eye? What day of the week? I assume this was the 767.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
tuesday night on the 757. I was thinking I would SDC to the 767 about an hour later if it looked like I wasn't going to clear since it had a lot of open seats.
Bicoastal Local likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Flew FNT-ATL, ATL-SJO (Costa Rica) two days ago. Upgrade cleared on FNT-ATL without certificate attached. Attached regional upgrade certificate to ATL-FNT. I was No. 1 of 7 with 3 empty seats on the morning of departure. All 3 seats supposedly sold between the time I checked in at FNT and landing in ATL. Diamond desk and Delta Twitter said there were no paid or mileage upgrade options. I think either the certificate was incorrectly attached or Delta played games because I just don't believe three people outright bought first-class tickets on day of departure when a paid ticket had prices above $1600. Especially since there were 4 empty comfort-plus seats. There was 1 other diamond and 1 platinum in comfort-plus, judging from bag tags.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
Should a 2nd seat map still be showing for flights/segments for which you are waitlisted?
Called yesterday to apply for a trip next year, and online it shows 'Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted.'

Trip is 2 segments each way, and the first segment on the outbound did clear at booking.
Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Looked at RUC/GUC webpage. They now say it's likely for a waitlist to goto the gate.
That makes sense. And should be there.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Should a 2nd seat map still be showing for flights/segments for which you are waitlisted?
Called yesterday to apply for a trip next year, and online it shows 'Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted.'

Trip is 2 segments each way, and the first segment on the outbound did clear at booking.
Thanks.
In the abstract, the answer to your question is "not necessarily". Presence of the duplicate seat map is a strong indicator that the agent followed all the steps necessary to waitlist the cert correctly. However it is not a required step -- it is possible to clear a waitlisted request even without the duplicate seat map.

So again, as a general rule, duplicate = good, no duplicate = no way to know for sure

I don't know what all the steps are, so while I would think it's a good sign for your outbound given that it cleared at booking, I don't know if "clear at booking + waitlist the other segment" has the same mechanics as "both segments waitlisted at booking."

i.e. if you had waitlisted both at booking, then subsequently cleared one segment, I would be pretty confident the 2nd segment was correctly coded as well. But I'm not sure how strong a conclusion we can draw otherwise.

I'm not sure this response actually helped
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
In the abstract, the answer to your question is "not necessarily". Presence of the duplicate seat map is a strong indicator that the agent followed all the steps necessary to waitlist the cert correctly. However it is not a required step -- it is possible to clear a waitlisted request even without the duplicate seat map.

So again, as a general rule, duplicate = good, no duplicate = no way to know for sure

I don't know what all the steps are, so while I would think it's a good sign for your outbound given that it cleared at booking, I don't know if "clear at booking + waitlist the other segment" has the same mechanics as "both segments waitlisted at booking."

i.e. if you had waitlisted both at booking, then subsequently cleared one segment, I would be pretty confident the 2nd segment was correctly coded as well. But I'm not sure how strong a conclusion we can draw otherwise.

I'm not sure this response actually helped
Suppose I can just call in and ask - say 'Usually I see a 2nd seat map or something.'

Also, I misspoke (mis-typed): not at booking. I had booked a week ago, I meant to say that the first segment cleared when I called in yesterday to apply 'em.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM
looking rather bleak at this point. ATL-LAX I'm 9 days out and only 7(now it's 3, fml) seats available... who are these whales buying up FC seats at $1400+? answer me!!!

Last edited by golfr; Nov 30, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by golfr
looking rather bleak at this point. ATL-LAX I'm 9 days out and only 7 seats available... who are these whales buying up FC seats at $1400+? answer me!!!
I don't think it is so much people buying last minute tickets as people already in F SDC'ing to a flight, especially if the flight is a D1 plane or is at better times. Lots of time I think I'm good as there are lots of seats 2 days out but they disappear steadily and by the time I get to the gate they are gone.

My other datapoint: The only upgrade (Medallion or RUC/GUC) that I've received between LAX and ATL in the past few years was last year on a 6:30am flight the day after Xmas. FC was full (by the seat map) a couple days out but by the time I got to the gate there were plenty of seats. The 5:30am and 6:30am flights are usually cheaper in FC and I'm sure folks bought those and then switched to better flights as they could.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I don't think it is so much people buying last minute tickets as people already in F SDC'ing to a flight, especially if the flight is a D1 plane or is at better times. Lots of time I think I'm good as there are lots of seats 2 days out but they disappear steadily and by the time I get to the gate they are gone.

My other datapoint: The only upgrade (Medallion or RUC/GUC) that I've received between LAX and ATL in the past few years was last year on a 6:30am flight the day after Xmas. FC was full (by the seat map) a couple days out but by the time I got to the gate there were plenty of seats. The 5:30am and 6:30am flights are usually cheaper in FC and I'm sure folks bought those and then switched to better flights as they could.
I'm losing faith real fast. I'm traveling at decent hours. I can't do red-eyes anymore. In a matter of hours, 4 more seats disappeared. WOW. other than this route, i have no use for the RUCs. Delta wins again.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by golfr
I'm losing faith real fast. I'm traveling at decent hours. I can't do red-eyes anymore. In a matter of hours, 4 more seats disappeared. WOW. other than this route, i have no use for the RUCs. Delta wins again.
Yep, I've gotten to the point of using my RUCs only when inventory is available up front. Otherwise they don't get used.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
If the flight is still 9 days out (or even 2), they can't SDC yet.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I shamefully wasted an RUC on BTR-ATL-DCA. I had to do a flight change and lost my complimentary upgrades. It was either use a cert or get stuck in a Y middle. Ended up being 1/50 on the ATL-DCA segment, and snagged the last FC seat.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Sorry if this is covered upthread, but can RUCs be used on PWM tickets? If so, do they get lowest priority within one’s medallion tier the way they so for comp. upgrades, or is it still by original fare class?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.