Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by mnbp
Yes, for your specific scenario where you were desiring even one RUC instrument upgrade if possible, that is a good strategy.

However, for companion eligibility for complimentary upgrades at the priority level of the Medallion member, the companion must be together with the Medallion on the same PNR.

So, it depends on the scenario which is best.
So I've been on the waitlist for both RUCs on a transcon delta one flight for over a month now. I've watched the D1 seat map drop from 12 to only 2 seats now. I can't believe these seats are even selling on this flight. I have a feeling others using RUCs have cleared before I have. Is there any way to find out if a seat is taken from an RUC upgrade versus a paid D1 ticket? I thought I would have cleared weeks ago like I have previously done.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Why can't you believe that people would buy D1 seats on a transcon? They do all the time. That said, I highly doubt any agent would tell you how people cleared into J (paid, RUC, whatever). The only thing you can do is call DL once in a while to ask about whether any seats have opened up for RUC upgrades, as sometimes RUC's aren't coded properly and you have no way of knowing whether yours was or wasn't.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just cleared my first RUC of 2017 benefits, at the gate, on a 600-mile flight.

After 11 months of failures on "worthwhile" flights, all four are expiring next month so I'm just applying them to any trip at this point. Oh well...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Just cleared my first RUC of 2017 benefits, at the gate, on a 600-mile flight.

After 11 months of failures on "worthwhile" flights, all four are expiring next month so I'm just applying them to any trip at this point. Oh well...
Cleared SFO-ATL on redeye on Sunday PM. Not a bad use. It cleared a few weeks in advance.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I booked the DCA-LAX nonstop on a Saturday evening in November, and put in for an RUC upgrade. There are still 13 D1 seats (out of 16) showing up as available on the seatmap; I was waitlisted. You could buy a seat today, 30+ days out, in D1 for $588.00. Hopefully I'll clear prior to the day of departure, but who knows.

----

I was lucky with my first group of 4 RUCs. I actually went 4 for 5, missing out on F on a JFK-SEA trip. I was able to use my 4 certificates for flat bed travel (the inaugural DCA-LAX being the highlight, but also on an ATL-SFO 767 positioning flight where I used my RUC 3 hours out to jump over 7 flyers and into one of the last two UG seats, and a SAN-ATL 767 where I got the last UG seat, 10A).
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:02 pm

I used a RUC on a 3 segment trip. Segements 1 and 3 cleared right away and segment 2 was waitlisted. When segments 1 and 3 cleared I got a new "Your Flight Receipt" email from delta. Waitlisted segment 2 just cleared and seat has been confirmed but I never got that email I got.

Do I need to call in and have the ticket reissued or am i good to go?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nydave
I used a RUC on a 3 segment trip. Segements 1 and 3 cleared right away and segment 2 was waitlisted. When segments 1 and 3 cleared I got a new "Your Flight Receipt" email from delta. Waitlisted segment 2 just cleared and seat has been confirmed but I never got that email I got.

Do I need to call in and have the ticket reissued or am i good to go?
You won't be able to check-in until it's reissued. If your trip is a long ways off it is probably in a queue to get reissued eventually, but either way you can call in and ask if they'll push it through manually.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'd have them push it through. Not a good idea to leave it hanging.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

I'm confused now. I just called in and asked them to reissue the ticket and they told me there was no need. They said as long as the receipt reflected the RY/OY I was good to go. I'm not having a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Guess I'll find out in a few days.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nydave
I'm confused now. I just called in and asked them to reissue the ticket and they told me there was no need. They said as long as the receipt reflected the RY/OY I was good to go. I'm not having a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Guess I'll find out in a few days.
The receipt won't reflect that till ticket reissued. HUACA.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:43 am

Wife and I have JFK-LAS next week. RUCs have already cleared for both of us in both directions. Can we SDC onto JFK-LAX/SFO and connect to LAS to ride in D1? It seems like this is a hit or miss with medallion csr's. I need to know how insistent I should be. Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Culvetr
Wife and I have JFK-LAS next week. RUCs have already cleared for both of us in both directions. Can we SDC onto JFK-LAX/SFO and connect to LAS to ride in D1? It seems like this is a hit or miss with medallion csr's. I need to know how insistent I should be. Thanks
As long as routing allows (most likely) then yes. However dont be insistent. Simply thank them and HUACA.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, National Executive Elite
OK, I need help - I booked a JFK - SFO segment for 10/18 a few months ago and the RU still has not cleared. It looks like that's pretty typical. I did get a notice that the schedule changed so I can select different flights. Would you try another flight for RU or would you wait? it looks like 10 seats have been sold. (it's the 3:30 departure). Party of - and he is not diamond. I would appreciate any advice as I have never used regional upgrades. thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by southernmom
OK, I need help - I booked a JFK - SFO segment for 10/18 a few months ago and the RU still has not cleared. It looks like that's pretty typical. I did get a notice that the schedule changed so I can select different flights. Would you try another flight for RU or would you wait? it looks like 10 seats have been sold. (it's the 3:30 departure). Party of - and he is not diamond. I would appreciate any advice as I have never used regional upgrades. thanks.
You could always ask on the phone or @Delta on Twitter for them to check all the flights that day JFK-SFO to see if any have space for RUC use for 2 people. Then change to the flights with availability.

I've never done it for a schedule change, but I've booked flights over the phone this way multiple times. In fact, one time either Twitter team gave me bad info or RUC space dried up, so I made a free change during the risk-free cancellation period to depart one day earlier when there was availability (and same coach fare was available).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:37 pm

Apparantely everything worked out fine on my trip. I called and they said it was actually done correctly and did not need reissuing and I wont always get a email receipt update. Online check in worked and no beeps when boarding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.