Using Regional Upgrades

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 3, 19, 1:56 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 6, 19, 3:14 pm
  #1456  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 628
Originally Posted by JCWCVG View Post
Would like advice on use of RUCs. I used my last set of 2018 RUCs to upgrade CVG-SJC in January. Had a PM colleague on same itinerary clear each way at 5 day window. I did not mind burning the RUCs as they would have expired soon and I needed the flexibility on return to use SDC.

I have to do the same trip in late Feb Tue-Thu and donít really want to burn 2 this early in year and I donít need SDC flexibility in this case. Not considering WFBF. Considering connecting SLC, LAX, or LAS on outbound, ATL, MSP or DTW on return, morning flights on each. Return might be harder due to larger hubs.

Do I wait for DM window to see if they clear and then apply RUC afterwards if I donít clear? I wonít have any domestic D1 routes this year, so distance wise these are my longest domestic flights.
If a flight is instantly upgradeable using a RUC, I would use my RUC and confirm it - if you want first, and know this is going to be one of your longer flights, then I would use it. One or two RUCs is more valuable to me than 20k miles, which is the second most valuable PM benefit. I had two RUCs go unused this year, but considering it a win since my 2 RUCs were used for D1 (which would have cost more than 20k miles to upgrade)

If the RUC upgrade isn't instantly available, then yes, wait until after the DM/PM window. You can apply a RUC up until 3 hours before a flight. Good to wait until all the complementary windows have happened before deciding to use a RUC. If you are #1 for 5 seats, then no need to apply a RUC

And the reason I have two expired RUCs is 1 year ago I tried to use my RUCS for D1 on JFK-SAN R/T. Didn't clear either leg, but don't regret trying to get D1 as thats a good use of a RUC. Then, fortunately, I cleared almost all of my comp upgrades, so never really found an opportunity to use a RUC until my next D1 transcon and then ran out of other opportunities to use it
uppereastsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 8:24 pm
  #1457  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Posts: 1,277
Originally Posted by uppereastsider View Post
If a flight is instantly upgradeable using a RUC, I would use my RUC and confirm it - if you want first, and know this is going to be one of your longer flights, then I would use it. One or two RUCs is more valuable to me than 20k miles, which is the second most valuable PM benefit. I had two RUCs go unused this year, but considering it a win since my 2 RUCs were used for D1 (which would have cost more than 20k miles to upgrade)

If the RUC upgrade isn't instantly available, then yes, wait until after the DM/PM window. You can apply a RUC up until 3 hours before a flight. Good to wait until all the complementary windows have happened before deciding to use a RUC. If you are #1 for 5 seats, then no need to apply a RUC

And the reason I have two expired RUCs is 1 year ago I tried to use my RUCS for D1 on JFK-SAN R/T. Didn't clear either leg, but don't regret trying to get D1 as thats a good use of a RUC. Then, fortunately, I cleared almost all of my comp upgrades, so never really found an opportunity to use a RUC until my next D1 transcon and then ran out of other opportunities to use it
Just curious if you remember the approximate time of year and day of the week you tried to use the RUC for JFK to SAN or back. I would have thought that flight isn't full in paid D1/ F, and at least mid week you should have a good shot of clearing even complimentary....
MarkP24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 9:40 am
  #1458  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 628
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
Just curious if you remember the approximate time of year and day of the week you tried to use the RUC for JFK to SAN or back. I would have thought that flight isn't full in paid D1/ F, and at least mid week you should have a good shot of clearing even complimentary....
The SAN-JFK flight is on a Saturday and is 9 days out and showing like 6 open seats. I was able to instantly confirm it in either November/December of 2018. I would probably clear the comp upgrade, but why stress it when I know I absolutely have a lie flat seat. I'll be curious to see if I clear JFK-SAN, which I'm not sweating since I'm on the 4:59pm flight on a Monday on a 737
MarkP24 likes this.
uppereastsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 12:02 pm
  #1459  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 372
Used a RUC for a HNL-LAX-ATL-VPS trip last month. Once it cleared I was able to SDC to the HNL-SLC-ATL-VPS leg for the lie-flats instead. Now I notice that DL took 2 RUCs, saying they had to reissue the ticket and the other RUC was attached to the old ticket. Also, DL is telling me that the RUC for the original LAX flight was attached to a non-refundable ticket and I can't get it back. That's robbery. Any suggestions on how to approach them about this?
dmarge18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 12:13 pm
  #1460  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,104
Originally Posted by dmarge18 View Post
Used a RUC for a HNL-LAX-ATL-VPS trip last month. Once it cleared I was able to SDC to the HNL-SLC-ATL-VPS leg for the lie-flats instead. Now I notice that DL took 2 RUCs, saying they had to reissue the ticket and the other RUC was attached to the old ticket. Also, DL is telling me that the RUC for the original LAX flight was attached to a non-refundable ticket and I can't get it back. That's robbery. Any suggestions on how to approach them about this?
Wow, that is total bs if this was a phone call, HUCA obv. If written, maybe point out that this goes against all previous experience and isn't documented or mentioned anywhere and see if they'll escalate? In my experience when you reply back it doesn't necessarily get handled by the same person anyway (except in one case where an issue seemed to have gotten escalated directly to a manager to begin with)

Good luck, hope you get the second RUC back!
Zorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 1:28 pm
  #1461  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Wow, that is total bs if this was a phone call, HUCA obv. If written, maybe point out that this goes against all previous experience and isn't documented or mentioned anywhere and see if they'll escalate? In my experience when you reply back it doesn't necessarily get handled by the same person anyway (except in one case where an issue seemed to have gotten escalated directly to a manager to begin with)

Good luck, hope you get the second RUC back!
Thanks. After some pestering I did get through to the Skymiles desk and they are going to reissue the second RUC. Crazy that we have to go through all this to use a published benefit, and glad I caught it (only because I was looking at a Companion Certificate expiration date on the same page, or else I'd have never thought to look).
Zorak likes this.
dmarge18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 5:37 pm
  #1462  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by dmarge18 View Post
Used a RUC for a HNL-LAX-ATL-VPS trip last month. Once it cleared I was able to SDC to the HNL-SLC-ATL-VPS leg for the lie-flats instead. Now I notice that DL took 2 RUCs, saying they had to reissue the ticket and the other RUC was attached to the old ticket. Also, DL is telling me that the RUC for the original LAX flight was attached to a non-refundable ticket and I can't get it back. That's robbery. Any suggestions on how to approach them about this?
How far in advance did you apply the RUC to clear it? I used a companion ticket to get D1 for me and my daughter DCA-LAX around Christmas. Separately, I booked LAX-HNL in coach. I called to apply 2 RUC's for LAX-HNL with lie-flats and there it didn't clear immediately.
khaliaklb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 9:00 am
  #1463  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 127
I have no use for RUCs this year. What other perk are people choosing instead of RUCs? Will go to zero status once I stop traveling at the end of the year.
golfr is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 10:40 am
  #1464  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VPS, previously SEA and PIT
Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by khaliaklb View Post
How far in advance did you apply the RUC to clear it? I used a companion ticket to get D1 for me and my daughter DCA-LAX around Christmas. Separately, I booked LAX-HNL in coach. I called to apply 2 RUC's for LAX-HNL with lie-flats and there it didn't clear immediately.
At booking, which was about a month out. They didn't clear until about the 5-day window for that return leg.
dmarge18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 11:22 am
  #1465  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by golfr View Post
I have no use for RUCs this year. What other perk are people choosing instead of RUCs? Will go to zero status once I stop traveling at the end of the year.
You'll have until 1/31/20 to decide but if you have a Delta Am Ex I would do the miles if you aren't getting any use of the RUC's. If you don't find a reasonable RDM trip you can use them to pay with miles.
golfr likes this.
jamesteroh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 11:48 am
  #1466  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Programs: DL DM/2MM MR Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold,
Posts: 8,416
So am I correct that RUC upgrades will trump even a DM Reserve complementary upgrade?
RobertS975 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:04 pm
  #1467  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,104
Originally Posted by RobertS975 View Post
So am I correct that RUC upgrades will trump even a DM Reserve complementary upgrade?
If it goes to the gate, "Upgrade Certificates clear the airport standby list before Complimentary Upgrades".

Before that, they come out of separate inventory buckets. I can't imagine OY inventory ever being less than OU inside the 5-day window, but who knows what lurks in the minds of revenue management...
Zorak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:40 pm
  #1468  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
You'll have until 1/31/20 to decide but if you have a Delta Am Ex I would do the miles if you aren't getting any use of the RUC's. If you don't find a reasonable RDM trip you can use them to pay with miles.
Thanks for the advice. I do have Delta Plat card. I'm booking all of my current trips w/ the miles that I accrued past 2 years(300k). I will still have some left over but will just save them for a rainy day I guess. Could plan JFK-LAX to see if I could get use out of the RUCs. btw, what's RDM? I'd like to experience Delta One once.
golfr is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 12:50 pm
  #1469  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco
Programs: DL
Posts: 91
RDM is redeemable miles (so Skymiles). Note that, unfortunately, you canít use RUCs on award tickets.
jamesteroh and golfr like this.
dlflyer00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 19, 1:02 pm
  #1470  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
RDM is redeemable miles (so Skymiles). Note that, unfortunately, you canít use RUCs on award tickets.
I've never tried this with RUC's but I have bought international tickets before using PWM for part of the fare and the diamond desk has allowed me to use GUC's on them. I see now that you can't use GUC's or RUC's with PWM tickets so not sure if I was just lucky with the agents those two times or if it was a rule change.
jamesteroh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread