Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
You mean SDCing while an RUC is waitlisted? Not really all that different from normal SDC, though you'll need to make sure your waitlist request carries over. The V fare might be a bigger issue.

What day of the week/flight time are you on for SFO-JFK? I've never not had an RUC clear on that route when I flew it regularly, though admittedly I always avoided peak times (Sunday/Thursday night redeyes SFO-JFK, Monday morning/Thursday evening JFK-SFO).
Friday at 4PM / Sunday at 7PM. I'd prefer the 1-2-1 cabin as well though I will take what I can get. T-10 days on the first flight and showing 7 available seats, could be worse I guess. And yeah, waitlisted. Guess I'll find out what happens, the 767 flight shows as V9 in EF right now.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Minor RUC issue / data point: I booked MSN>MSP>LAX last year and wait-listed a RUC for MSP>LAX, with specific instructions that we wouldn't try MSN>MSP until the LAX leg cleared. It never cleared and then for medical reasons I didn't take the trip and cancelled it and used the credit later. I DM'd the Twitter team to use that RUC on MSN>DTW>MSY in February, before it expires a few weeks later. They replied that it had already been used on the LAX trip. I never gave them the redemption code, just the cert #, if that mattered. I did basically a HUCA and this time called the Diamond desk and she said the cert was clear and processed it as fast as I've seen a RUC/GUC be applied. So just be aware that Twitter reps may not accurately see certificate readiness compared to DM agents. I don't know why I got such a different result. The certificate was definitely valid, in my wallet and had not cleared.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I've had RUCs cleared for a flight tomorrow and am trying to SDC to a different flight. The phone agent is saying that I would need to reissue the RUCs and see if there's upgrade availability again, even though I've already cleared. Is this true? I've heard mixed reviews from different agents and on here.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmarge18
I've had RUCs cleared for a flight tomorrow and am trying to SDC to a different flight. The phone agent is saying that I would need to reissue the RUCs and see if there's upgrade availability again, even though I've already cleared. Is this true? I've heard mixed reviews from different agents and on here.
Either HUACA, ask for a supervisor, or ask theu contact global support. Sadly this is one of the few things that DL agents are consistent in, being wrong on this policy.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:09 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's not true. Some agents get this wrong but lately I've had pretty good experience with it. One thing, though, you need to have the ticket reissued after the RUC clears. That's supposed to happen automatically but the time it takes can vary pretty wildly. First ask the agent to check if the ticket has been reissued (you should have gotten a new flight receipt if it has).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Lrtalk
Something is strange. Two weeks ago, I cleared a RUC after it said "waitlisted" for a couple of weeks prior to clearing. Now using another RUC, and there is no "waitlist" indicia nor is there a duplicate seat map. Diamond line swears up and down that it is correctly applied. Skeptical.
Like others I was having this same experience, and two DM desk agents confirmed it was applied. The second however offered to email me the Delta Itinerary for the trip, and that shows double lines for each flight, the confirmed seat (in this case S for C+)and then a line with O class with “upgrade requested”, which assuaged my concern.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Fun update to my situation. I called DM desk yesterday - all I said was that I was booked on ATL-SFO on X date. Agent responded with something like, "Yep, I have that itinerary up and see you have an upgrade certificate listed." No prompting by me.

She seemed to know I was calling to check that it was applied correctly (I guess they get this a lot), spent maybe 10 seconds looking at whatever she looks at, and then said everything looked in order. She said something else about "let me try to activate it" and then came back and said the system rejected her request as it was too early to be activated. Ok, whatever. I just set up some EF seat alerts to hopefully snag a better seat than my current random window seat in the back.

Logged back in today just to see what was going on, and I now see the "Upgrade Status:Upgrade Waitlisted" notation on my PNR. Though still no double seat map.

This whole process is a hot mess.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I always run into this problem. HUCA and plan on doing it multiple times.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I always swore never to pick RUC for CB, but did and glad I did. Burned two for a successful UG on A333 SLC-HNL. Only four cleared at gate and wife and I would have missed it (we were #5/6 before we applied the RUC).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
First time attempting RUC usage

Hey friends, I'm attempting to use my RUC for the first time on a TCON in April. A couple questions...

1.) Anyone have any odds on how likely UG inventory will be released? I'm looking at a Thursday JFK-SFO (any time) and a Saturday SFO-JFK redeye.
2.) Delta normally won't let you buy a D1 ticket from JFK-LAX-SFO (it always shows SOLD OUT, I'm assuming due to married segment logic). But do you know if you can apply RUC on the JFK-LAX route even though you can't buy that? I'm wondering because I know sometimes the JFK-LAX routes are on larger aircraft than 757-200 and might have more availability?
3.) Finally (And I just want to confirm), mileage upgrades pull from the SAME bucket at RUC, meaning there's no reason to BOTH request a RUC and milage upgrade, right?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:48 pm

@Pianoman, fwiw there is one 767-400 that flies SFO-JFK daily.

I booked this Friday SFO-JFK and this Sunday JFK-SFO, so far this has been a terrible idea. I SDCed to the -400 after the Friday flight sold out in D1 and ended up as #6 (out of 60) for 4 D1 seats (on the 40 seat plane!). Sunday will probably be terrible as well, although there’s J9 on a couple Sunday morning flights.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Got confirmed for my wife and I this summer...PIT-DTW-HNL-MSP-PIT.

DL just made up for making me trash two unused RUC's last year.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I always swore never to pick RUC for CB, but did and glad I did. Burned two for a successful UG on A333 SLC-HNL. Only four cleared at gate and wife and I would have missed it (we were #5/6 before we applied the RUC).
Why would you not use RUC for CB? What's so much better?

To clarify, as a DM, I'm guessing you prefer all 4 GUC's

Last edited by MarkP24; Jan 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:41 pm

SDC question... I did an SDC to an earlier flight with immediate RUC availability and cleared. From what I’ve read on here, clearing in advance with a RUC allows confirmed SDC changes to any flight with open seats.

Can I really just SDC back onto my original flight and keep the upgrade?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Why would you not use RUC for CB? What's so much better?
Even if PM benefit, 20k pesos is still better than 4 RUCs that expire unused, if someone's travel patterns are such that clearing is unlikely.

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
SDC question... I did an SDC to an earlier flight with immediate RUC availability and cleared. From what I’ve read on here, clearing in advance with a RUC allows confirmed SDC changes to any flight with open seats.

Can I really just SDC back onto my original flight and keep the upgrade?
Yes. I'm not sure I'd necessarily do all this within a single phone call though. Even though each event in the sequence is according to policy, an agent might balk. Discretion seems worth it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.