Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnbp
Check your DL wallet. If the cert is closed, you're done, but if the cert is still in "open" status, that means your ticket has not yet been reissued to collect the "payment" for your cleared upgrade. In the latter case, an agent might be able to remove your reservation from the reticketing queue and recind the upgrade and leave the cert in open status. Maybe.
It re-ticketed a few weeks ago. All good! A bird in hand is worth two in the bush right?
Air Houston and MarkP24 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787
It re-ticketed a few weeks ago. All good! A bird in hand is worth two in the bush right?
Yup. They're meant to be used.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Currently waiting to board JFK LAS Sunday evening flight. 33 people on the list with 0 seats available... but I cleared 15 days out with a RUC after waitlisting. Not sure how that happened but thanks Delta!
Air Houston and MarkP24 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Currently waiting to board JFK LAS Sunday evening flight. 33 people on the list with 0 seats available... but I cleared 15 days out with a RUC after waitlisting. Not sure how that happened but thanks Delta!
I find those are among the hardest upgrades to clear, so I use RUC's if available or will do paid F/ D1 if it makes sense.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
ATL-HNL +1

I'm a DM, flying with one of my daughters who lost her SM status this year (regaining it by this trip in May)
Flying with my parents (D1 purchased with SkyBonus points) and wife (bought D1 because she needs(/WANTS) the spend to get back to DM.)

Purchased tix back in Jan - applied RUC for daughter and I.
Departure date (mid May) has 21 open seats, return (end of May) had 3...as of last week.

We both just cleared on the return flight. Outbound is still pending.

Any upgrade guru's help me understand this?
Granted, this is great, the return is an overnight redeye, so we can sleep comfortably on the way back!
But I'm disillusioned how the fare bucket classes work that we got the return with only 3 seats remaining vs the outbound with 21?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BHammy
Departure date (mid May) has 21 open seats, return (end of May) had 3...as of last week.

We both just cleared on the return flight. Outbound is still pending.

Any upgrade guru's help me understand this?
Granted, this is great, the return is an overnight redeye, so we can sleep comfortably on the way back!
But I'm disillusioned how the fare bucket classes work that we got the return with only 3 seats remaining vs the outbound with 21?
My first guess would be, popular vs. unpopular day of the week, or a convention around the outbound dates -- anything like that? Otherwise, /shrug RM is as RM does
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Z,
There is the Amazing Scavenger Hunt Adventure - Waikiki Mini Quest in Honolulu!
Among about 80 other things google returned on the arriving weekend.

Don't know if that's any different than any other weekend - but it would make sense to keep as many open seats on the inbound...when people are either booking last minute or excited enough about going to Hawaii that they bump themselves...vs outbound when it's lackluster.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I had to burn my last RUC prior to expiration on ATL-TPA.

Is there a crying thread for this

[Partially my bad for having a bad grasp of all the dynamics here. Should have read this thread before selecting]
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, LATAM Gold
Quick question... I haven't use RUCs in a long time since most of my flights are international, but today I exchanged the platinum benefits for 4 RUCs thinking that getting domestic medallion upgrades is getting harder and harder even as a DM. So, I got the RUC and call the DM desk to apply it for the domestic leg only of an international trip and the agent told me that since last year now Delta does not allow to use RUC on the domestic section of an international trip. Is that right? If so, that really ruined it for me, since almost all my flights are international (I don't live in the US) and so I will never be able to use RUCs. What can I do?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
HUACA. Even if they have, (I havent heard anything FWIW) you'll most likely find agents that don't know this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What do the T&Cs for your RUCs say?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm

Just checked that and they do not say anything about it... But they also say that Delta can change the rules or create new ones in any way they want...
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Would be an odd policy to put in place too.

You're eligible for a regular medallion upgrade to F on the domestic leg of an international trip, why wouldn't you be able to use an RUC to jump that queue?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
Would be an odd policy to put in place too.

You're eligible for a regular medallion upgrade to F on the domestic leg of an international trip, why wouldn't you be able to use an RUC to jump that queue?
Probably issues with agents accidentally extending it to an international flight. The whole process is manual after all.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:53 pm

I fully agree... I don't even understand the logic of setting up that restriction...

By the way, I asked the Twitter support and this is the response I got:

"the agent has advised you correctly. RUC's are not able to be used on the domestic leg of an international itinerary. The DM desk would have more information than we do here at Twitter to assist you with any available options if there are any. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.