Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
And Y to Y? Tier 2?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:56 am

We really need to see the outside-USA award charts. It makes me very nervous that they're withholding them. It can only mean bad things.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
We really need to see the outside-USA award charts. It makes me very nervous that they're withholding them. It can only mean bad things.
Expect those to be published in March next year
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Has Delta said yet how many miles per dollar spent its customers get on its partners airlines?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:04 am

the claim "more than 95%
represent decreased mileage requirements" am I missing something?, I see nothing but increases
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bernyx
the claim "more than 95%
represent decreased mileage requirements" am I missing something?, I see nothing but increases
You didn't quote that correctly. Emphasis mine.

Of the 44 Award level pricing changes, more than 95% represent decreased mileage requirements.

One can fault DL for citing a narrow metric but that doesn't change the flyer's burden of reading it correctly.

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...5SMP-award.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:49 am

excuse my ignorance, but I still don't get it, could you give an example or 2 where there's a decreased mileage requirement
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Been there for a while: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-released.html

Consensus is that we aren't going to see that many tier 1/2 awards, though...
I think that remains to be seen. Given the estimate from most people that their mileage earning will drop by about half (ignoring full F/J OPM fliers), that would give DL flexibility to follow through on EASIER TO REDEEM promises, meaning more low tier awards. A 10cpm/125k DM would earn roughly enough for 2 low J r/t awards under the current program (~280k), but only 1 low J under the new program (~140k).

Regardless, I think we can all agree the new program makes it HARDER TO EARN.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by bennos
I think that remains to be seen. Given the estimate from most people that their mileage earning will drop by about half (ignoring full F/J OPM fliers), that would give DL flexibility to follow through on EASIER TO REDEEM promises, meaning more low tier awards. A 10cpm/125k DM would earn roughly enough for 2 low J r/t awards under the current program (~280k), but only 1 low J under the new program (~140k).

Regardless, I think we can all agree the new program makes it HARDER TO EARN.
Actual flight earnings will drop by a large amount for the vast majority of flyers. But credit card earnings won't. So I wouldn't expect redemption to actually get any easier.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
excuse my ignorance, but I still don't get it, could you give an example or 2 where there's a decreased mileage requirement
US to Central America in Economy - mid-tier (level 3) goes from 60k to 55k, and top-tier goes from 80k to 75k. Anywhere you see a blue cell, it's a decrease. Anywhere you see a dark gray cell, it's an increase.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by davetravels
And Y to Y? Tier 2?
For UA international, you are only penalized (more miles) for using partners for premium cabins so it doesn't matter who you use for the overwater carrier when traveling in Y.

I'm trying to make it simpler than it really is because this does not take into account saver vs standard. UA Partners are only available at saver but you may have to pay the standard price if the UA operated segments are only available at the standard level. So in theory it could be a tier 2 if DL withholds the tier 1 seats on their own metal

At least when UA updated the award chart, they were all published at the same time.

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
For UA international, you are only penalized (more miles) for using partners for premium cabins so it doesn't matter who you use for the overwater carrier when traveling in Y.
I guess I can live with TATL/J and IntraEUR/Y, but I'll hafto think about a strategy, as, I usually do an extended trip in the summer, and hava lotta extra stuff on the way back due to shopping, causing me to need 3 checked bags.

@:-) Maybe less shopping???

Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Actual flight earnings will drop by a large amount for the vast majority of flyers. But credit card earnings won't. So I wouldn't expect redemption to actually get any easier.
Maybe. To know this we'd need to know the number of miles issued by flying vs by credit card. If anyone has real numbers on this, I'd love to see them. (Perhaps they're in the annual report?)

As a simple example, an Amex card holder spending $12500 gets 25000 miles (assuming exclusive use for DL purchases). A DM flyer earns almost the same 25000 miles by flying JFK-SFO round trip twice, at an off peak cost of perhaps $700. ie: It's much, much easier to earn miles by flying, especially if you're not pushing tens or hundreds of thousands through your credit card.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Maybe. To know this we'd need to know the number of miles issued by flying vs by credit card. If anyone has real numbers on this, I'd love to see them. (Perhaps they're in the annual report?)

As a simple example, an Amex card holder spending $12500 gets 25000 miles (assuming exclusive use for DL purchases). A DM flyer earns almost the same 25000 miles by flying JFK-SFO round trip twice, at an off peak cost of perhaps $700. ie: It's much, much easier to earn miles by flying, especially if you're not pushing tens or hundreds of thousands through your credit card.
I would doubt that many Amex card holders who spend $25K or more do it through mainly Delta purchases.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
India went from 85K to 80K. Weird as it just went from 80K to 85K not too long ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.