Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to reduce availability of lower cost international business fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to reduce availability of lower cost international business fares

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jsmith50
In fact, maybe it's a perfect example that a company going through major financial difficulties can still offer a better FC and lounge experience than an airline like DL that is financially sound. Tends to show where the priorities are and who they are catering to. Qantas is trying to maintain a premium FC experience. DL is trying to save every penny they can while still trying to woo the same flyers willing to pay for the premium cabin.
1) The comparative financial experience (and certainly your pricing example) might suggest that those premium products are not valued, no?

2) QF is not really trying to maintain a premium FC experience. They are actually all but abandoning it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) The comparative financial experience (and certainly your pricing example) might suggest that those premium products are not valued, no?

2) QF is not really trying to maintain a premium FC experience. They are actually all but abandoning it.
What I'm hearing from my Australian colleagues (and maybe this won't be the case come this fall when I actually make this trip) is that Qantas is consolidating a lot of their routes and abandoning others but is remaining committed to providing the best FC experience that they can provide. As I say, maybe this will change but this has, to date, been their experience. And, in the past, their FC has far exceeded DL's BE, in my opinion.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jsmith50
What I'm hearing from my Australian colleagues (and maybe this won't be the case come this fall when I actually make this trip) is that Qantas is consolidating a lot of their routes and abandoning others but is remaining committed to providing the best FC experience that they can provide. As I say, maybe this will change but this has, to date, been their experience. And, in the past, their FC has far exceeded DL's BE, in my opinion.
They are down to what? Three routes with F? Doesn't sound like a rousing commitment to me. Seems more like an airline acknowledging what is readily apparent to most observers: F is a product without a market outside of a handful of routes. Too bad QF stuck with it so long; I still think they'd be up the creek, but it probably whittled away at the paddle.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
From the customer's perspective I don't see why not. If I can get a quality product for a comparable or cheaper price on one airline when compared to another, why would I not buy it?

I know for sure though, that I will not find value in buying a decidedly inferior product (i.e. coach class), at a significantly higher price (full fare Y) than the said inferior product is worth, when I am looking to buy a premium product and unable to find it on my carrier of first choice. I will find something equivalent at a competitors.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
They are down to what? Three routes with F? Doesn't sound like a rousing commitment to me. Seems more like an airline acknowledging what is readily apparent to most observers: F is a product without a market outside of a handful of routes. Too bad QF stuck with it so long; I still think they'd be up the creek, but it probably whittled away at the paddle.
At the end of the day, I frankly don't care what the status of Qantas as a company is, I'm concerned about the value of the product I get in return for my fare. At the moment, their international F product is still better than DL's international BE product. If I can get more for less with Qantas, it would be stupid to spend more for less with DL. It would be like saying that although the quality of a Mercedes is still as good as it's ever been, the company is in financial trouble and they're cutting back on the number of cars they produce. They're not saying that if Mercedes is in financial trouble the quality of the car they produce is less. In this case, it's still Qantas with a know reliable F product, it's not like I'm flying Ryanair from LAX-SYD and having to pay to use the toilet in FC!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
AF has already announced they are adopting herringbone style J seats, starting with the 777 fleet. I imagine that will further reduce J capacity.

Super-expensive J + Super-uncomfortable Y (including EC) is pushing me to W for INTL travel now.
I have been doing more TATL flights over the last year or so. I have wondered if the extra cost for W is worth it on the 4-class flights. Is there a good value proposition discussion anyone can link me to? Search didn't work for me. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wish they would offer a real premium economy cabin with domestic F style seats. There just has to be a way to be profitable in between luxury and total discomfort (and EC does not cut it on long hauls).
I agree, and I post this from the AZ lounge at JFK, waiting to board my flight in my premium economy seat. DL has lost almost all my TATL business these days. I won't spend the money for J (it comes out of my pocket, basically, as a small business owner) and I don't think the upsell to DL's EC is worth it. So it's AF and AZ for me, in premium economy.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I agree, and I post this from the AZ lounge at JFK, waiting to board my flight in my premium economy seat. DL has lost almost all my TATL business these days. I won't spend the money for J (it comes out of my pocket, basically, as a small business owner) and I don't think the upsell to DL's EC is worth it. So it's AF and AZ for me, in premium economy.
DL/AF/KL/AZ are all in a joint venture so any flight from the US to Europe (and maybe other areas too), even if you are not flying on DL, DL is getting a cut of. So this is really a situation where if you are flying AF or AZ, DL wouldn't care - they actually would prefer you buy W and fly AF/AZ instead of Y and fly DL since the W fare should be higher.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by Beckles
Unlike things like milk, bread, water, gasoline, and electricity, air travel is not a necessity for a consumer, it is a luxury. I think to claim that consumers can be 'milked dry' by the pricing of a luxury product is ridiculous, they will stop buying the product before they are milked dry.

Having just purchased tickets for my family to fly down to Florida, $209 in First Class for a non-stop flight there and $179 in coach for a non-stop flight back, I'm hard-pressed to claim those fares are unreasonable, even if they are much more than the coach fares I paid 10 years ago ... when fuel prices where 1/4 their current levels and prices in general were lower. While I'd love to pay $59 each way like I remember doing in the good old days, I don't believe that is reasonable price to pay and expect the airline to be able to continue operating for the long term in the current economic environment (i.e., $100+/barrel oil).
?????? Did you read my entire post? It had ~5 sentences total. You need to work on your reading comprehension.

The airlines are going to get too greedy and travel habits will change. They're milking the traveling public dry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.