FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   2015 MAX miles per ticket 75,000???? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1557602-2015-max-miles-per-ticket-75-000-a.html)

Petercbm Mar 5, 2014 2:40 am

2015 MAX miles per ticket 75,000????

Booking tickets and noted following note:

For travel beginning January 1, 2015, Delta-marketed or -ticketed flights will earn miles based on ticket price (base fare plus any carrier-imposed surcharges) - up to 75,000 miles per ticket.

As a Diamond -- I only get miles for the first $6818 spent on a ticket!!!
Anything over that 0 miles...... $5,769.23 if I use Amex

Not cool -- cutting miles for the low end and capping miles on the top end.

WhiskeyBravo Mar 5, 2014 2:51 am

I agree it seems stupid to do this, and I believe your numbers may be slightly off for AMEX holders. I'm guessing the miles you get from AMEX will continue to come as they do now, as a monthly "AMEX MILES" line item. In this way the 75k/ticket is probably the cap on the DL side ticket line-item award.

Petercbm Mar 5, 2014 3:25 am

Originally Posted by johnm1019 (Post 22465189)
I agree it seems stupid to do this, and I believe your numbers may be slightly off for AMEX holders. I'm guessing the miles you get from AMEX will continue to come as they do now, as a monthly "AMEX MILES" line item. In this way the 75k/ticket is probably the cap on the DL side ticket line-item award.

@ John

My understanding is that Diamonds get 11 miles per Dollar spent and 13 miles per dollar when using Delta Amex card......

My problem is that this is capped at 75,000 miles -- as soon as my ticket value exceeds $5,700 I earn NO miles on the additional $ spent......

Renes Points Mar 5, 2014 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Petercbm (Post 22465290)
@ John

My understanding is that Diamonds get 11 miles per Dollar spent and 13 miles per dollar when using Delta Amex card......

My problem is that this is capped at 75,000 miles -- as soon as my ticket value exceeds $5,700 I earn NO miles on the additional $ spent......

The 11 miles is a Delta cap so 75k max from Delta.

The 2 miles per dollar is from AMEX NOT Delta so charge away at 2x on DL tickets.

Better choice would be AMEX PRG over Delta AMEX to earn 3x vs 2x on tickets (that you could then send over to Delta).

5khours Mar 5, 2014 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Petercbm (Post 22465290)
@ John

I suspect the AMEX spend is separate and not capped. If you RT ticket price exceeds $7,500 then buy two OWs.

Petercbm Mar 5, 2014 3:49 am

My issue is that Delta wants to reward so called High Value customers... as a Diamond I get 11 miles per $ spent -- but only for the first $6,818 spent..... (75,000 / 11)

MOST business tickets are way over that amount if you fly primarily overseas......

troyintn Mar 5, 2014 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Petercbm (Post 22465358)
My issue is that Delta wants to reward so called High Value customers... as a Diamond I get 11 miles per $ spent -- but only for the first $6,818 spent..... (75,000 / 11)

MOST business tickets are way over that amount if you fly primarily overseas......

I was surprised by that myself.

Renes Points Mar 5, 2014 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Petercbm (Post 22465358)

The answer is simple:

It would cost to much!

You can insert that line for the answer to any question about Delta from this day on.

RollsRoyceAndy Mar 5, 2014 5:26 am

Two one ways is the answer for now. Sounds like a very good work around.

k2 Mar 5, 2014 6:58 am

Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy (Post 22465616)
Two one ways is the answer for now. Sounds like a very good work around.

It sounds good on paper but in practice it won't work. Unless you're booking into the highest fare bucket (which most companies don't allow) two one-ways will price out higher. I've looked at a few of my normal routes and it's at least 25% more than a roundtrip on the same flights.

DL's new scheme indeed screws over their highest paying clients.

Petercbm Mar 5, 2014 7:01 am

They want to reward high value customers -- but not if you spend too much....

Delta is trying to have their cake and eat it too......

mikepa Mar 5, 2014 7:17 am

FLL-SIN in BE - lowest price on the dates I checked was $16,405. For a PM, I should get 147K RDM, but you're only giving me 75K !! What a rip!

(One way fare in $9468, so you're still short changing me by 10K (75K vs 85K).

MSPeconomist Mar 5, 2014 7:24 am

Originally Posted by mikepa (Post 22466130)
FLL-SIN in BE - lowest price on the dates I checked was $16,405. For a PM, I should get 147K RDM, but you're only giving me 75K !! What a rip!

(One way fare in $9468, so you're still short changing me by 10K (75K vs 85K).

Check the one way in the opposite direction and add them together to compare to the RT fare.

BTW, I suspect you're looking at FULL J fares for your dates.

k2 Mar 5, 2014 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Petercbm (Post 22466033)
They want to reward high value customers -- but not if you spend too much....

Delta is trying to have their cake and eat it too......

Agreed, it's cheesy and it tips DL's hand. We hear the new SM program is designed to reward high profit customers, but the short notice $15k TPAC gets the same reward as the $7k Z fare.

DL fanboys want to believe the new program is about redistribution, but in reality the squeeze is being applied to the entire population.

And yes, I do want a glass with my Petrus.

xliioper Mar 5, 2014 7:32 am

Higher mileage payouts is ultimately going to translate to higher redemption rates on the back-end. Squeeze the balloon and all that. Would people prefer that they lower multipliers and uncap the top-end? Overall, I can't say I'd be complaining all that much if my business was willing to cough up for J fares. 75K miles is still a boatload.