FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Long Pre-check Lines in Atlanta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1557327-long-pre-check-lines-atlanta.html)

MikenFla Mar 4, 2014 8:16 am

Long Pre-check Lines in Atlanta

Flying out this morning from Atlanta. The pre-check line was very long. I understand Tuesdays in Atlanta can get that way.
Once I was close in line , I noticed passengers also entering the que from the other side. Question is, is there another pre-check entry point in Atlanta other than the one from the south terminal?
Thanks.

ellis01 Mar 4, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by MikenFla (Post 22459356)
Flying out this morning from Atlanta. The pre-check line was very long. I understand Tuesdays in Atlanta can get that way.
Once I was close in line , I noticed passengers also entering the que from the other side. Question is, is there another pre-check entry point in Atlanta other than the one from the south terminal?
Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of.

Yes, pre-check can get insanely long on both Monday and Tuesday. The only saving grace is that the normal PAX lines look like the evacuation line from Vietnam in 1975, so you are still better off.

My tricks for surviving Atlanta on business travel:

1) Fly out the night before whenever possible. (no line, more relaxed. Wake up closer to your client and refreshed.)

2) If you can't do # 1, drive to the International Concourse and go through security there. There is no pre-check on that side, but there is NEVER a line so you blow right through. The downside is that the parking over there is park & ride (extra 10 min). The upside is you are always in an enclosed garage with plenty of room.

samwise6222 Mar 4, 2014 8:30 am

pre-check line at JFK gets combined with family with small kids line :D

mmichael453 Mar 4, 2014 8:34 am

Originally Posted by ellis01 (Post 22459386)
2) If you can't do # 1, drive to the International Concourse and go through security there.

If you are originating in Atlanta, and end up having to check a bag on the way back, you end up in the very undesirable situation of having to claim your bag on the opposite side of the airport from your car though. The result is having to take the shuttle from the Domestic terminal's ground transportation to the curb at the International Terminal, then catch the other shuttle to the park and ride garage.

BobH Mar 4, 2014 9:09 am

Same type thing happened at DTW recently, if I didn't have boots appropriate for this time of year and a PC with me, I would have headed for a different line.

Bob H

MSPeconomist Mar 4, 2014 9:19 am

TSA lines were reportedly exceptionally bad at MSP a few days ago. Some people said it was worse than they had ever seen.

AdamDunn32 Mar 4, 2014 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 22459722)
TSA lines were reportedly exceptionally bad at MSP a few days ago. Some people said it was worse than they had ever seen.

Flew out of MSP last Thursday AM. Precheck line was around 120 deep - many of the people were clueless. I don't know if they were ushering people there or what - I waited 15-20 minutes to clear. This was worse than my experiences at the main ATL Precheck checkpoint.

As for ATL. The trick is to go to North Checkpoint. There is still a dedicated Precheck line that they don't funnel normal pax into. Only problem is sometimes it isn't open.

mersk862 Mar 4, 2014 10:01 am

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32 (Post 22459964)
As for ATL. The trick is to go to North Checkpoint. There is still a dedicated Precheck line that they don't funnel normal pax into. Only problem is sometimes it isn't open.

Agreed. Limited hours at North, but it's a breeze compared to main when it's backed up.

At least main is now open until 9 pm which is much better than the former 700p cutoff.

emrdoc Mar 4, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MikenFla (Post 22459356)
Thanks.

Originally Posted by ellis01 (Post 22459386)
Not that I'm aware of.

Yes, pre-check can get insanely long on both Monday and Tuesday. The only saving grace is that the normal PAX lines look like the evacuation line from Vietnam in 1975, so you are still better off.

My tricks for surviving Atlanta on business travel:

1) Fly out the night before whenever possible. (no line, more relaxed. Wake up closer to your client and refreshed.)

2) If you can't do # 1, drive to the International Concourse and go through security there. There is no pre-check on that side, but there is NEVER a line so you blow right through. The downside is that the parking over there is park & ride (extra 10 min). The upside is you are always in an enclosed garage with plenty of room.

LOL, so true about the regular lines. Ridiculous!

I second the International Terminal. I use it almost exclusively. NEVER a line.

Tomphot Mar 4, 2014 11:59 am

Sitting in B - SC now, just made it through PreCheck. Very Long, longest I've seen yet. They had all lanes open - only 3 open in the regular line. It appears the people coming from the left are those who don't know they have PreCheck and went through the regular line - they are now telling them to head to PC from there.