Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded and Downgraded in an Hour

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Upgraded and Downgraded in an Hour

I got a message that upgrades on both segments of a Friday transcon had cleared. Consulting the website, however, it showed only one segment was.

I called to inquire. DL agent said there had been a computer error. Both outbound and return flights bear identical numbers on different days and she acknowledged the system needs tweaking to prevent this. The upgrade was phantom.

Anyone hear of this happening?

(yes, I'm thrilled to have one J segment and should stop being a whiny arse.)
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've had flights where the same flight number was used for the return on the same or different day, and the upgrade emails had no trouble keeping them straight...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've had flights where the same flight number was used for the return on the same or different day, and the upgrade emails had no trouble keeping them straight...
Same here. Something sounds fishy.

If I'm reading the OP correctly, one outbound flight has the same number as one return flight (two segments each direction). OP received upgrade emails for both outbound flights which are inside the upgrade window. Return flights are probably, but not necessarily, outside the window. I don't see how the return flights factor into this at all.

OP, when you do a dummy booking while signed in to delta.com does the flight on which you were downgraded show Upgrade Eligible or Upgrade Available? If it shows Upgrade Available you should be able to call in and have the upgrade manually pushed through. Another thing worth checking is the status of the segment under My Trips. Does it show Upgrade Eligible, Upgrade Requested, or Upgrade Available? If it's Upgrade Eligible your request somehow fell out (strange after you got the email). If it says requested I'm not sure what you can do besides hoping an agent will believe you about the email. If it shows Upgrade Available you need to check a box to have the upgrade go through. I've never had this happen to me but have read stories of it in other threads. Do it ASAP before the opportunity passes.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would also be wise to look at the ticket and itinerary carefully. Could there have been an aircraft substitution or slight schedule change since your upgrades were confirmed? Check flight status too if it's not too early. If a flight is cancelled or dropped from your itinerary, I suspect that this could cause an upgrade to be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.