No more SM 24-hr holds?

Old Mar 3, 14, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of 'em
No more SM 24-hr holds?

I noticed the "hold" option is gone when making award bookings and one has enough (or slightly insufficient) balance. When did this happen? I mean, I know I can still hold (either rev or SM tix) w/o money down by phone, but come on...calling sucks. Does this FAA rule extend to website functionality, or is compliance via live rep enough?
Old Mar 3, 14, 4:08 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Delta has a 24 hour risk-free cancellation policy, including for award tickets. There is no hold policy required for airlines if they allow full refunds within 24 hours (for flights booked 7 days or more in advance). Also, it has nothing to do with the FAA which doesn't regulate things like this. The regulations were drafted by the DOT.
Old Mar 3, 14, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM
I have status so don't have an issue with award booking cancellations, but will say that the 24 hour risk free cancellation (which is actually till 1159PM the next day) works perfectly for paid tickets...never had an issue and never had to call in for it
Old Mar 3, 14, 7:02 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
I have status so don't have an issue with award booking cancellations, but will say that the 24 hour risk free cancellation (which is actually till 1159PM the next day) works perfectly for paid tickets...never had an issue and never had to call in for it
For whatever reason the 24 cancel ability for award tickets can only be done over the phone. When you try to cancel online it wants to charge the $150 redeposit fee for non-PM+.
Old Mar 3, 14, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by MileageManager View Post
I noticed the "hold" option is gone when making award bookings and one has enough (or slightly insufficient) balance. When did this happen? I mean, I know I can still hold (either rev or SM tix) w/o money down by phone, but come on...calling sucks. Does this FAA rule extend to website functionality, or is compliance via live rep enough?
You can hold for a few hours with this trick: http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...4-with-issues/
Old Mar 3, 14, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Delta has a 24 hour risk-free cancellation policy, including for award tickets. There is no hold policy required for airlines if they allow full refunds within 24 hours (for flights booked 7 days or more in advance). Also, it has nothing to do with the FAA which doesn't regulate things like this. The regulations were drafted by the DOT.
Oh ya I meant the DOT. Was reading the gov site.
Old Mar 3, 14, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
You can hold for a few hours with this trick: http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...4-with-issues/
This is news, my hold from 9AM-ish this morning, that in the past was only 1-2 hours, is still holding at 7:14PM ET. We may be back to full day holds. Will keep testing!

Old Mar 3, 14, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
Thanks for this link, Delta Points!

Last edited by MileageManager; Mar 3, 14 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 4, 14, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
No more SM 24-hr holds?

Great post, Rene! Hopefully DL IT takes as long "fixing" this as they have with the Award Calendar.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: