Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Will be watching this thread closely. Very curious how empty/full BE will be over time, or what the buy-up scenarios start looking it. If Delta hit me up with a $200 buy up the day of recognizing fare class and status as a tie breaker, I'd probably spend the money.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Something to consider for mileage upgrades:
the cost of 12.5 (or even 25k) miles is currently fairly easy to swallow - as a DM on a single $300 JFK-SFO transcon you can earn the one-way upgrade fee (12.5 miles). Good value proposition.

With the revenue-based system, the same 12.5K miles will take you roughly four of those flights if you are not using the amex card. There is little incentive to pay anything between the lowest coach and lowest biz fare either - not like it would increase your chances of an upgrade.

The product is sure nice and I have appreciated all the times I was able to ride up front (which has been mostly always since 2008), paid, miled, SWUd, and comped.

But, I cannot see myself paying such a premium for a relatively short flight come 2015.
Not to mention you could rarely if ever UG those routes with miles anyway.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not to mention you could rarely if ever UG those routes with miles anyway.
True! Another point on not having an incentive to buy even a K fare - unless the availability improves. or the mileage UG request transfers to the airport with the priority a la SWU
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
I have directed the vast majority of my domestic flying to AA from DL. All of my flying is in J or F.

From time to time I fly other airlines when my clients book the travel to take advantage of their negotiated rates. This evening I flew BE JFK-SFO on Delta. The vibe has definitely changed -- from upgrade class to non-rev class. During boarding the woman sitting next to me was gloating to the guy in front of me how nice it was now. Obvious both were non-revs based on the conversation. Very classy.

Good luck Delta in your aspirations to make domestic BE "exclusive" and to continue to "monetize" the front cabin in your efforts to attract "HVC's." You have great frontline staff but know absolutely nothing about attracting and retaining customers that maximize your margins.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I assume you mean 25K miles. Most of the seats are flat now...but still, most often I would not pay this many miles. Maybe one way on a west-->east redeye for a flat bed. I did once pay it for TLV-JFK in a recliner seat and was glad I did. My point is just that I would not be surprised if the mileage upgrade started to be priced like other international routes.
Really?

As of today:
SFO-JFK has 5 flights daily, all 752's, 0 flat beds
SEA-JFK has 3 flights daily, all 752's, 0 flat beds
LAX-JFK has 7 flights, two of those are 752's with 0 flat beds

So unless you fly LAX-JFK you likely won't have FB's, and even with the LAX flights there is still a 28% change you won't have a plane with one.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Onboard today I read the new March issue of Delta's in-flight Sky Magazine.
For how much they are just boasting about their vicious attack on the Seattle market I can't fathom why they would take complimentary UGs away on ANY of the routes out of SEA.

What business tactic is represented by taking something away from a new market you are trying to conquer???

Doesn't Seattle have many great options in other airlines for JFK routes?

Although NOT SEA, my brother just booked a PDX-JFK trip in Y today on JetBlue for April. He knows my affinity for all things Delta but JetBlue had a better schedule and was cheaper. I haven't been on JetBlue, but they are a decent option for transcon, no?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDeltaFireRichardAnderson
The vibe has definitely changed -- from upgrade class to non-rev class. During boarding the woman sitting next to me was gloating to the guy in front of me how nice it was now. Obvious both were non-revs based on the conversation. Very classy.
I was really afraid of this. This is how a lot of Delta's int'l BE cabins feel and now the transcons will be little more than employee commuter cabins.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Burj
I was really afraid of this. This is how a lot of Delta's int'l BE cabins feel and now the transcons will be little more than employee commuter cabins.
No no! The arrogant OPM paid J fliers have ASSURED us that transcon BE will become a quiet paradise where they will be fanned with palm fronds and fed grapes by nubile young virgins. Calgon, take me away!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:01 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
fed grapes by nubile young virgins. Calgon, take me away!
instead of nubile old virgins?

In any event, I never got the memo about the virgins. I never get any of the good updates.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:02 am

... Calgon, take me away!
Wow...way to date yourself there!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Really?

As of today:
SFO-JFK has 5 flights daily, all 752's, 0 flat beds
SEA-JFK has 3 flights daily, all 752's, 0 flat beds
LAX-JFK has 7 flights, two of those are 752's with 0 flat beds

So unless you fly LAX-JFK you likely won't have FB's, and even with the LAX flights there is still a 28% change you won't have a plane with one.

Good point, I was not thinking about SFO and SEA, as I am LAX based. Maybe we will see a shift in how they handle this when they add more flat bed service on the other two transcons.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Burj
Wow...way to date yourself there!
I've been dating myself for decades. It's a lot simpler than dating others.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Best post so far on this thread

No no! The arrogant OPM paid J fliers have ASSURED us that transcon BE will become a quiet paradise where they will be fanned with palm fronds and fed grapes by nubile young virgins. Calgon, take me away!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Good point, I was not thinking about SFO and SEA, as I am LAX based. Maybe we will see a shift in how they handle this when they add more flat bed service on the other two transcons.
And oh, I'm looking ahead a bit and one or two of the flights I'm looking at have ordinary FC seating with 26 seats or whatever it is on a 757.

I don't think the Westin Heavenly Bedding is actually special enough to attract a bunch of HVCs to pay $2000 or more to sit in a plain old FC section.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by 355F1
Although NOT SEA, my brother just booked a PDX-JFK trip in Y today on JetBlue for April. He knows my affinity for all things Delta but JetBlue had a better schedule and was cheaper. I haven't been on JetBlue, but they are a decent option for transcon, no?
B6 is a good option, albeit less good in IROPS. 34" Y seats, or buy up to 38" EMS (EC) seats. Mint (J) coming online soon for CA routes. The equivalent of $2k in spend gets you several elite-style benefits.

Calgon, take me away!
Haha, I made this reference in a meeting a few weeks ago and then we all felt old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.