Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Does this automatically happen or, or is it up to the discretion of the gate agent to manually do this?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GGBFlyer
Does this automatically happen or, or is it up to the discretion of the gate agent to manually do this?
We don't know. Various phone calls have resulted in many contradictory statements (it's up to the GA, the GA can't, the SkyClub agent can/can't, the phone line can/can't, it happens automatically at T-6 or maybe later, it can/can't be done by various people at various times, . . .)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by rylan
Its not that its mileage upgrades transferring... its that a recent policy change allows DM and PM to be placed on the upgrade list for these premium t-con flights near the departure time.
There was a period of several months where there were no comp upgrades, but anybody (or at least I, as a GM) could transfer their mileage upgrade to the list.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by j.bell
There was a period of several months where there were no comp upgrades, but anybody (or at least I, as a GM) could transfer their mileage upgrade to the list.
I was just upgraded on an international flight from AMS to MSP. It was totally unexpected. I know totally off topic to this particular forum but I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that I booked the ticket about 2 weeks before my flight and was paying close to $2K for my coach seat.

I was only upgrade on the way back. I was very pleased to say the least.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:05 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Interesting on the "activation" idea ... I am flying out JFK-SFO today at 15:00 (5 hours from now) and checked the upgrade list on Delta.com, which has the message "Your name will not appear on the Standby list until you are activated by the gate agent."

Delta.com will not show me the full list but my name does not appear on the iPhone app list.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
My experience flying roundtrip JFK-SFO as a DM on an H fare:

On the outbound (Sunday afternoon) there were about 5 seats open the day before departure. My name never appeared in the upgrade list except for the strange note on Delta.com as I mentioned in the previous post. Called the Diamond line and the woman acknowledged that DMs and PMs were sometimes being upgraded on those routes now, but that it wasn't guaranteed (one of her excuses, amusingly, was that "weight and balance" issues could be to blame) and that there wasn't any way for her to put me on the upgrade list.

Checked at the Sky Club in JFK and the agents again agreed they'd heard something about a new policy, again said it wasn't guaranteed (this time blaming how busy the flight is, more reasonably) and didn't think it was possible to put me on the upgrade list nor "activate" me onto the upgrade list unless I used GUCs.

By the time I got to the gate there was only one open seat in J and 5 people that somehow had gotten onto the upgrade list, including one who had been there about 20 hours before departure who I therefore assumed had used a certificate, so I didn't bother asking again. Went out in EC and enjoyed a complimentary chicken wrap.

On the way home (Monday afternoon) there were again 5 seats open a day out, but this time the cabin didn't fill up in the meantime, fortunately. My name was not on the upgrade list when I checked as of about 5 hours before departure, but the next time I checked about 2 hours prior I was #1 on the list without having talked to anyone. 4 seats remained just before boarding and the agents processed 4 people off the upgrade list, leaving one person on the upgrade list as we left and a full BE cabin.

So, perhaps the moral of the story is, if the upgrade is meant to be, it will just happen and you don't have to worry about it? Who knows. Enjoyed the upgrade on the way home.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colerc

On the outbound (Sunday afternoon) there were about 5 seats open the day before departure. My name never appeared in the upgrade list except for the strange note on Delta.com as I mentioned in the previous post. Called the Diamond line and the woman acknowledged that DMs and PMs were sometimes being upgraded on those routes now, but that it wasn't guaranteed (one of her excuses, amusingly, was that "weight and balance" issues could be to blame) and that there wasn't any way for her to put me on the upgrade list.

Checked at the Sky Club in JFK and the agents again agreed they'd heard something about a new policy, again said it wasn't guaranteed (this time blaming how busy the flight is, more reasonably) and didn't think it was possible to put me on the upgrade list nor "activate" me onto the upgrade list unless I used GUCs.
C'mon DL, having your employees make up stuff is not professional.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by colerc
My experience flying roundtrip JFK-SFO as a DM on an H fare:

By the time I got to the gate there was only one open seat in J and 5 people that somehow had gotten onto the upgrade list, including one who had been there about 20 hours before departure who I therefore assumed had used a certificate, so I didn't bother asking again. Went out in EC and enjoyed a complimentary chicken wrap.

On the way home (Monday afternoon) there were again 5 seats open a day out, but this time the cabin didn't fill up in the meantime, fortunately. My name was not on the upgrade list when I checked as of about 5 hours before departure, but the next time I checked about 2 hours prior I was #1 on the list without having talked to anyone. 4 seats remained just before boarding and the agents processed 4 people off the upgrade list, leaving one person on the upgrade list as we left and a full BE cabin.

So, perhaps the moral of the story is, if the upgrade is meant to be, it will just happen and you don't have to worry about it? Who knows. Enjoyed the upgrade on the way home.
Your first time, it didn't work out for you like it's supposed to (although with 1 open seat it was irrelevant I guess; I think you're right about the GUC). Starting at T-6 (at the latest) you are supposed to be on the upgrade list and if you hang up-call back enough you will find a phone agent who will put you on the list in about 3 minutes. Probably some of the people who got upgraded should have been below you on the list, but either they got automatically added or else they knew how it works and called. Didn't help them in this case, but every case is different. My last three trips, I have called every time, got added every time (sometimes after much aggravation) cleared every time but once. Mostly regular domestic First (between JFK and SEA) so missing isn't that big a deal.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Last friday a.m. JFK - SEA flight, about 6 seats open, I was added to the upgrade list upon check-in per my app - which was about 24 hours before hand - strange, but true -showed me 1 of 1 on the list - next morning lots of people on the list, but I was still in the top 3 or 4

Cleared at boarding, it never showed I cleared on my app, but when I boarded - almost last as I was running late, the new seat assignment popped out

No lay flat seating, so not much to brag about, but still always a nice surprise! All seats were full
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
This week, LAX-JFK monday, and JFK-LAX today. I dont fly this route often so a few hours before my departure TO JFK i checked the app and saw i wasnt on the list. Called in and was told that upgrades werent offered on this route, but i pressed as i know clearly they are. Agent came back and told me i was now on the list, 8 of 9 people. Seemed low but i didnt push it and rode in the back.

Tonight returning to LAX, same thing, not on the list a few hours to departure so I asked the check-in agent. She said its not 'always' offered, its random, and after some clicking around told me i was on the list as #8. As i walked to the club i called the PM line to double check as for some reason 8 seems REALLY low, im sure there are DMs or PMs on a higher fare but 7 above me seemed odd. The phone agent looked and said i WASNT on the upgrade list, so he checked me out, and re-checked me in and I was now at #3 (yay!). 1 open seat and 2 no shows later....I curled up comfortably in 7C with the nice new (to me....i never fly biz) Westin bedding, right behind Stevie Wonder and his crew.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
This week, LAX-JFK monday, and JFK-LAX today. I dont fly this route often so a few hours before my departure TO JFK i checked the app and saw i wasnt on the list. Called in and was told that upgrades werent offered on this route, but i pressed as i know clearly they are. Agent came back and told me i was now on the list, 8 of 9 people. Seemed low but i didnt push it and rode in the back.

Tonight returning to LAX, same thing, not on the list a few hours to departure so I asked the check-in agent. She said its not 'always' offered, its random, and after some clicking around told me i was on the list as #8. As i walked to the club i called the PM line to double check as for some reason 8 seems REALLY low, im sure there are DMs or PMs on a higher fare but 7 above me seemed odd. The phone agent looked and said i WASNT on the upgrade list, so he checked me out, and re-checked me in and I was now at #3 (yay!). 1 open seat and 2 no shows later....I curled up comfortably in 7C with the nice new (to me....i never fly biz) Westin bedding, right behind Stevie Wonder and his crew.
What was your fare class for these flights?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

what amazes me after reading your story (and the countless others before yours) is that Delta employees at the airport and at the PM/DM desk still don't know about the change. I mean, I can see if after a week or two but this has been 3 to 4 months now; what gives?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I think they are scared to talk about this, as if it were a big secret.

When I got upgraded JFK-SEA, my upgrade showed up on my record as an OP-UP, not as a "RU" upgrade.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by lax555
What was your fare class for these flights?
X.

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
what amazes me after reading your story (and the countless others before yours) is that Delta employees at the airport and at the PM/DM desk still don't know about the change. I mean, I can see if after a week or two but this has been 3 to 4 months now; what gives?
Agreed. The checkin agent I first talked to even commented how we know more about the system then they do.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:08 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by ND76
I think they are scared to talk about this, as if it were a big secret.

When I got upgraded JFK-SEA, my upgrade showed up on my record as an OP-UP, not as a "RU" upgrade.
The O upgrade bucket. Not an Op-Up (operational upgrade), correct?

Agreed. The checkin agent I first talked to even commented how we know more about the system then they do.
I've heard that so so many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.