Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Which is about what - $75? So $37.50 each way? Looks like DL is also aware of how cheap their product is and compensating as such.
Now you are arguing apples where Seth was arguing oranges. Two entirely different topics. He implied there was no compensation. Now you are saying it is not enough. Two entirely different arguments altogether.
Old May 9, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Which is about what - $75? So $37.50 each way? Looks like DL is also aware of how cheap their product is and compensating as such.
I'm not sure yet if they're offering it each way or not, but 15k for doing this to me twice in 3 days? Not even close an appropriate response.

Right now I'm just trying not to bite my nose to spite my face and abandon Delta before I reach DM. I've got another story from my flights yesterday, but was a SEA/ATL/HPN that turned into a SEA/ATL/RDU/LGA and very nearly a DVT, but that's only relevant since I was avoiding JFK-SEA. Suffice to say the last 7 days have destroyed any desire I had to have Delta as my carrier of choice.

Just for reference- Assuming I book past my existing purchases I'll remake PM sometime in May at which point I'll already have cleared the MQD for Diamond, and still not have gotten my first Reserve card MQM bonus. So even though I know I'm a nobody, I previously couldn't imagine that I'm the sort of flyer they don't care if they drive off. Maybe the DL longs on this board should consider profit taking...
Old May 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mother-
I'm not sure yet if they're offering it each way or not, but 15k for doing this to me twice in 3 days? Not even close an appropriate response.

Right now I'm just trying not to bite my nose to spite my face and abandon Delta before I reach DM. I've got another story from my flights yesterday, but was a SEA/ATL/HPN that turned into a SEA/ATL/RDU/LGA and very nearly a DVT, but that's only relevant since I was avoiding JFK-SEA. Suffice to say the last 7 days have destroyed any desire I had to have Delta as my carrier of choice.

Just for reference- Assuming I book past my existing purchases I'll remake PM sometime in May at which point I'll already have cleared the MQD for Diamond, and still not have gotten my first Reserve card MQM bonus. So even though I know I'm a nobody, I previously couldn't imagine that I'm the sort of flyer they don't care if they drive off. Maybe the DL longs on this board should consider profit taking...
LMAO! Yep...tens of thousands of personal gains later...I am sure it's all coming to an end now because DL has made their upgrade policy comparable to the other carriers in the market.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
LMAO! Yep...tens of thousands of personal gains later...I am sure it's all coming to an end now because DL has made their upgrade policy comparable to the other carriers in the market.

Odd, last I heard AA still gave comp upgrades on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA to EXPlat members. Did that change?
Old May 9, 2014, 7:35 pm

[/B]

Odd, last I heard AA still gave comp upgrades on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA to EXPlat members. Did that change?
I hope not!

(And almost hysterically, since I ignore Bubba and don't see his obnoxiousness unless someone quotes him, no man, you missed the point. They treat profitable customers like ...., that's why.)
Old May 10, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
[/B]

No, there hasn't been any info to indicate otherwise AFAIK.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Good afternoon everyone. I waded through about 10 pages of this thread but I am hoping someone can give me the quick summary here.
I am flying LAX-JFK booked into a K fare at the end of the month and I had Delta put me on the waitlist for a mileage upgrade. Now, knowing Delta, I am sure they screwed this up somehow. I am currently shown as “System wide Upgrade Requested” on the Delta site. What do I need to make sure is done correctly so they don’t ruin this for me and secondly, I assume these can clear before the gate as well? I assume if they DO NOT, I wait until the gate and then they pull the miles? DA made it seem as though it will only clear day of space available.

Thanks,
Old May 10, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Good afternoon everyone. I waded through about 10 pages of this thread but I am hoping someone can give me the quick summary here.
I am flying LAX-JFK booked into a K fare at the end of the month and I had Delta put me on the waitlist for a mileage upgrade. Now, knowing Delta, I am sure they screwed this up somehow. I am currently shown as “System wide Upgrade Requested” on the Delta site. What do I need to make sure is done correctly so they don’t ruin this for me and secondly, I assume these can clear before the gate as well? I assume if they DO NOT, I wait until the gate and then they pull the miles? DA made it seem as though it will only clear day of space available.

Thanks,
lucky you! Mileage upgrades do not clear at the gate but SWUs do! If it's coded as a SWU you got the better deal
Old May 10, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sounds like they are giving 7500 miles for the asking
Will they take 7500 miles to upgrade Y to J on that route?

Or are they just telling the passenger "We have your money, you lose."?
Old May 10, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Will they take 7500 miles to upgrade Y to J on that route?

Or are they just telling the passenger "We have your money, you lose."?
No, you must spend more money on your ticket, fly at less desirable times (those with inventory available in advance), and fork over 12,500 miles per direction.

And to answer the question- I seem to have received a total of 7500 miles for them doing it to me twice.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
miles upgrade

I have a quick question..... I am flying JFK-LAX in august on a K fare and trying to upgrade with miles. I called last night and was told there wasn't any availability. No surprise, I expected this. When I asked about being added to the wait list, he said I should already be there and put me on hold. When he came back on, he said he wasn't sure why he couldn't add me to the medallion upgrade request list. I said that I thought they were giving out medallion upgrades on that route anymore and put me on hold again. Coming back on again, he said he asked the help desk about this and indeed they don't offer the upgrades anymore and that they couldn't put me on the wait list due to the fact that my trip was linked to my virgin atlantic account (I have gold status) and not my sky miles. I then asked if we could switch my trip from my VS account # to my sky miles number so I could get added to the list, he told me that even if he did, he couldn't add me since I didn't have status on delta. So frustrated with this guy, I said never mind and decided to try again later. Before I call back, I just want to be sure that I don't have to have status to be put on the upgrade wait list if using miles. Also, I know that the chances of the upgrade is slim, but does there seem to be a time frame in which they open the seats up? Ex 30 days out, 60, etc. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DLATL777
DL recently updated delta.com, and all of SWUs, GUs, and mileage upgrades now seem to be listed as "Systemwide Upgrade Requested". It's possible but unlikely that a mileage upgrade will clear before departure.

It used to be that mileage upgrades couldn't be processed at the gate, but there are now several reports of this happening on the TCON routes, if you call the Medallion line or tweet and ask them to manually move you to the gate upgrade list on the day of departure.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by carolinaRN
Before I call back, I just want to be sure that I don't have to have status to be put on the upgrade wait list if using miles.
While you would need to have a DL FF# and sufficient DL miles (12500 each way), I don't believe you need status to do a mileage upgrade.

Also, I know that the chances of the upgrade is slim, but does there seem to be a time frame in which they open the seats up? Ex 30 days out, 60, etc.
No.

Assuming you can get listed, your upgrade chances are quite good if the J cabin doesn't sell out. There are typically only 1 or 2 people on the UG list on these routes since the freebies went away.
Old May 11, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
miles upgrade

Just for clarification....I called the delta reservation line again to inquire about upgrading my K fare ticket with miles. Again, I was told there wasn't any availability for my flight. When I asked about being added to the wait list, she said there wasn't any but would double check. It turns out that there is an upgrade wait list, but it is reserved for medallion members only. I am just a regular old skymiles account holder. I asked that since I now qualify for upgrades as a Virgin Atlantic FC gold member could she put me on that way and she said no. She told me I would just have to check back to see if anything opens up or get it cleared at the gate.
Old May 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I'm coming up on a transcon trip that I booked before the change was announced (back when JFK-SEA was upgrade eligible). Has anyone had any luck getting upgraded since it was ticketed prior to the change? I have had several schedule changes (less than 90 mins) and I haven't had luck going JFK-XXX-SEA yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.