Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

STOP Flying Delta to Protest the Skymiles Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOP Flying Delta to Protest the Skymiles Change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:34 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
This move makes me want to book MORE travel on DL. I ran the the math for 2014 and every ticket I purchased will warn me more miles under the 2015 system. Makes spending 50K on a domestic coach seat a bit more tolerable.
OK...what I don't quite entirely get (and I am not being disrespectful) is how your company allows this. Most places I know require that you shop for fares and get the best pricing. And for me 85% of my travel is based on my own business which means the money is out of my pocket so I also shop for the best deals. Don't understand overspending except in an emergency.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA PLT
Originally Posted by saturnsk
Whether or not I am impacted by the change to full-revenue based frequent flyer program by Delta, I am still going to refrain from flying them and move my business to American. I'm sure United will follow suit on the revenue-basis, but this change is just pure business to them, so I will take my lucrative business elsewhere. This is what I did when Southwest changed their program, and haven't regretted not flying them since.
With this thinking Boss...aren't you going to soon run out of airlines to "refrain from flying"?

2 down...4 more to go...(I included JetBlue...just because they are a nice airline)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:33 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
OK...what I don't quite entirely get (and I am not being disrespectful) is how your company allows this. Most places I know require that you shop for fares and get the best pricing. And for me 85% of my travel is based on my own business which means the money is out of my pocket so I also shop for the best deals. Don't understand overspending except in an emergency.
There are quite a few companies I am aware of, that require the purchasing of refundable and changeable tickets. I agree, seems crazy, since in the long run just paying change fees and fare difference seems to make sense (especially if it's only a small percentage of the time).

Those in business for themselves (that's me, so I book my own tickets); will never totally understand the method of the madness in some corporate travel departments. But, I'll also say, that when you are managing 5K to 50K traveling people (in a corporation); there is a big picture, and perhaps there has been some analysis with regard to this. We also don't always know about all the "kick-backs or rebates" that companies are getting (as well as lucrative corporate discounts).

And then, you have companies with rather decent policies for senior executives (and sometimes below); which allow for travel in business class on any flight above 5/6/7 hours. These flights often wind up in a rather high (full fare) business cabin. It's not unusual for there to still be heavily discounted economy seats, but all of the discounted business class seats are (long) gone.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:44 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
There are quite a few companies I am aware of, that require the purchasing of refundable and changeable tickets. I agree, seems crazy, since in the long run just paying change fees and fare difference seems to make sense (especially if it's only a small percentage of the time).

Those in business for themselves (that's me, so I book my own tickets); will never totally understand the method of the madness in some corporate travel departments. But, I'll also say, that when you are managing 5K to 50K traveling people (in a corporation); there is a big picture, and perhaps there has been some analysis with regard to this. We also don't always know about all the "kick-backs or rebates" that companies are getting (as well as lucrative corporate discounts).

And then, you have companies with rather decent policies for senior executives (and sometimes below); which allow for travel in business class on any flight above 5/6/7 hours. These flights often wind up in a rather high (full fare) business cabin. It's not unusual for there to still be heavily discounted economy seats, but all of the discounted business class seats are (long) gone.
Thanks. In my old job we bought a lot of refundable tickets because sometimes there would be cancellations and/or the need to rebook. We usually bought them out a bit so we finally woke up and decided to eat the unused ticket or pay the change fee. Cheaper for the taxpayers. (Side note: It was also not uncommon for us to send employees with credit cards into Best Buy to buy computer stuff off the shelf because the govt/corporate sales side often charged more than if we went to a store and bought it.)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Thanks. In my old job we bought a lot of refundable tickets because sometimes there would be cancellations and/or the need to rebook. We usually bought them out a bit so we finally woke up and decided to eat the unused ticket or pay the change fee. Cheaper for the taxpayers. (Side note: It was also not uncommon for us to send employees with credit cards into Best Buy to buy computer stuff off the shelf because the govt/corporate sales side often charged more than if we went to a store and bought it.)
It think there is a lot out there we just don't know, vis-a-vis how some corporate travel departments work.

Also, I find, at least here on FlyerTalk in the Delta forum there is a rather myopic view of how the world operates with regard to higher revenue travel.

Just listening to others around me, living in an ex-Pat community; you start to observe a huge variety and variation of travel policy.

I always like to say, that there really aren't a lot of business class seats that need to be filled to make a market lucrative. Take markets like AMS-BOS, AMS-PDX, AMS-SEA; you just don't have much competition, and there are really only are 30-40 J seats available on a daily basis.

What I do know, is that I talk to a lot of people who travel quite a bit (often, much more than I do); and none of them have ever ventured onto FlyerTalk or spend any time optimizing their airline/hotel loyalty points earning. I've tried to give insight to a few people, but most just aren't that interested. They are just too busy to worry about it. I also find the same with gaming loyalty programs. I know people who wager crazy amounts and hardly get what they "really" deserve in comps and perks. Also, too busy to care.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:27 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by saturnsk
Whether or not I am impacted by the change to full-revenue based frequent flyer program by Delta, I am still going to refrain from flying them and move my business to American. I'm sure United will follow suit on the revenue-basis, but this change is just pure business to them, so I will take my lucrative business elsewhere. This is what I did when Southwest changed their program, and haven't regretted not flying them since.
Two of the four carriers that comprise roughly 35-40% of domestic capacity have moved to a revenue based system for the accrual of redeemable miles (DL and WN). The idea that AA and UA won't follow suit isn't realistic. It's an oligopoly and the signaling couldn't be clearer. FF miles are carried on the books as a liability. This gives everyone a reason to limit those liabilities and clean up the balance sheet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the new reality. I'm still sitting on a pot of US miles that have been significantly devalued over the past few years. I should have redeemed them for a LH F award when I had the chance; instead, I stuck them away in the mattress while they lost value like the Reichsmark during the Weimar Republic.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
I will come out ahead under the 2015 system and I have to buy the cheapest fare that fits reasonably into my travel time window. Since I can rarely book more than 4 or 5 days in advance, and mainly travel PWM to YYZ, SYR or ROC most of my travel will earn more under the new system. Since fares on these routes are rarely under $500 and often pushing $1000 it is easy to see how elites on short routes will come out ahead while still buying the cheapest fare their circumstances allow.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL, US
I will come out better with the new program. My company requires all travel to be booked on the lowest refundable fare, generally that means Y or B. For example on a common route I fly, ATL-BNA RT is $1568. Now as a DM, I would earn 17248 miles v. 1750 miles.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:09 am

I said it a year ago and I still feel the same way. The good old days are gone get use to the new good old days. Last year I quite playing the FF game, now I just pick the flights by shortest duration and cheapest price. I've gone from DL Platinum to nobody on all airlines. I dumped my AMEX platinum this year too.

At the end of the day I was spending way too much energy on this and as benefits become less and less there was just no value any more. I'm happier now and pay no attention to status or miles anymore. I rather pay for my vacations than stay on the FF treadmill
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by stonecrd
I said it a year ago and I still feel the same way. The good old days are gone get use to the new good old days. Last year I quite playing the FF game, now I just pick the flights by shortest duration and cheapest price. I've gone from DL Platinum to nobody on all airlines. I dumped my AMEX platinum this year too.

At the end of the day I was spending way too much energy on this and as benefits become less and less there was just no value any more. I'm happier now and pay no attention to status or miles anymore. I rather pay for my vacations than stay on the FF treadmill
While I still think there is some opportunity in the FF game, I agree with the gist of your post. Those that chase status as an end to itself are bound to be disappointed in today's environment. Those for whom status comes naturally still have some opportunities.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by TProphet
Delta seems to be positioning itself as a premium product for which the loyalty program is less important as a differentiating factor. This is a legitimate strategy. And something has to give: there are too many miles chasing too few seats. Two devaluations in rapid succession apparently weren't enough to solve the problem, so slowing the rate of mileage earning and an additional devaluation is in the cards.
If Delta wants to be considered a premium product then the service needs to vastly improve and they need to upgrade many of their crappy planes to newer ones.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Enjoy fighting the fight. You'll be doing it without me.

FWIW, might I recommend reading the following book before investing too much time and/or money in your full page ad?

http://www.amazon.com/Logic-Collecti...lective+action
pb....why is it that when we disagree with the panic on the streets of FT, we are trolls? Does a altering viewpoint make us trolls? I am a DL DM, I fly them more than most of their customers. I think I am entitled to disagree with the prevailing thoughts that seem to have no business background without being a "troll".
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Buying refundable used to be our policy as well, but that went away and stayed away with the 2002 recession, and I can no longer name a single client of mine that buys them by default either, something that's a complete opposite from 10-15 years ago. Now we only buy them if there is a reasonable expectation of multiple changes to the itinerary and/or trip cancellation. Otherwise, buying lowest cost and paying change fees has been a valid cost savings measure for us and our clients.

So my company, as a huge consulting firm, is one of AA/US, DL, and UA's top customers in the US by both volume and revenue, at least so says our travel department, though I have no reason to disbelieve them. We have volume discounts, many of which are significant especially for higher fare buckets and premium classes, but are still required to purchase the lowest available non-refundable fares. And this is where this may hurt DL - if the folks who might have been flying Delta who actually have a choice (ignore the fortress hubs), like those in NYC, where we have several large offices, direct spend to other carriers where lower fares won't have such a negative impact on their mileage earning.

FWIW, there's plenty of buzz along the lines of "why would I choose Delta if prices are similar since I'll earn so much less, and redemptions already suck" on our internal social media platform. If our folks materially reduce spend on DL, we'll get worsened discounts, and that could spiral as that will also impact the higher value tickets (e.g., NYC-LAX, intl biz class, etc) that DL wants to prioritize.

Who knows how this will play out. But I can see a scenario where at least for my company, DL's attempt to discourage lower fares from being purchased reduces the amount of expensive fares we buy from them. That said, if all the other carriers do something similar, this will be a moot point. But if one of them finds a way to either find a middle road or not go this path and scoop up business that DL might lose, it may represent a nice opportunity for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.