Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

How are you impacted by the 2015 change?

Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Last year I got about 104,000 miles. Under the 2015 system, I would have gotten 40176 miles. So, it's about a 60% decrease. We all knew that GM would have it the worst with these changes. It's true.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I earned 42,030 RDMs last year from flying, and am a second-year DL Silver.

Based on MQDs, which I think for last year would be equal to RMD spend as I didn't have any ancillary fees that count for MQD that don't for what they say is 2015 RDM spend calc, I'd have earned 32,004 RDMs.

So a significant loss for me of -24%! Frankly, I'll continue to aim for Silver because I like being able to get exit row, the free bag for me and my non-elite partner, and I was 8/20 on upgrades + 3 companion UGs last year.

But I may just consider status match with United this year. One trip to Europe within the 90 day window and I'll lock UL Silver for the year. I'll take some time to ponder that...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I know people will say DL is probably not making any money on me if I'm only paying $150 for that flight, and these changes are aimed to fix that. But they're still flying the plane from MSP-DEN and the marginal revenue they get from me is better than flying the plane with those seats empty.
I fly MSP-DEN a lot as well. I even buy First sometimes to get 3 bags so I can easily fly my snow gear. Saving the 2nd bag fee R/T can make the A fare about $50 more each way than the $200 cheapie.

I used to fly WN to DEN before I made SM. I could easily move back to them, especially after I've made SM for the year and don't need MQMs or MQDs. The lack of a late DL flight back to MSP on Saturday evenings sucks, too.

If DL looses many DEN customers, I could see them switching to E175/CR9 service.
On the other hand, how long is F9 really gonna be around? I have my doubts.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond
Until we see what they plan to do to the award redemption chart, no one knows it if is a good deal or not. Given track history, I'd err on the side of Delta will make it worse than now.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond
They've gotten the whole SkyPesos system so damn confusing. Too many damn terms and rules that can be used to throw a curve ball. Why not have a simple straightforward system with less ambiguity?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Plat MM, Marriott Plat, UA PE
Originally Posted by durango67
They've gotten the whole SkyPesos system so damn confusing. Too many damn terms and rules that can be used to throw a curve ball. Why not have a simple straightforward system with less ambiguity?
Amen on the confusion.

As to how this will impact me, I will probably benefit on the accrual side (I haven't had the time or desireto do the math) but without details on the redemption, who knows. I sent Delta a note saying that I will not buy another ticket on Delta until the award scheme is published - and I won't. They responded that it will be published by 1.1.15...

I wouldn't give money to another business that operated in such a fashion so I cannot rationalize why an airline should be different.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:09 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by RaflW
I fly MSP-DEN a lot as well. I even buy First sometimes to get 3 bags so I can easily fly my snow gear. Saving the 2nd bag fee R/T can make the A fare about $50 more each way than the $200 cheapie.

I used to fly WN to DEN before I made SM. I could easily move back to them, especially after I've made SM for the year and don't need MQMs or MQDs. The lack of a late DL flight back to MSP on Saturday evenings sucks, too.

If DL looses many DEN customers, I could see them switching to E175/CR9 service.
On the other hand, how long is F9 really gonna be around? I have my doubts.
Frontier could be a gorilla in the room. If Alaska ever bought them out it would give AS an instant national route network.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
No impact for us whatsoever. Have been a Million-Miler (and Silver) since 2012 but have not flown them since. Still have about 400,000 miles in my account. but can't seem to burn them as every time I look, a Transpac business award costs at least 240000 miles and I'm not that crazy to book. My wife and I never had the need to travel on business, strictly leisure. Our current travel pattern is basically taking several domestic trips and 1 or 2 overseas trips. We now stick to United and Star Alliance since personally I think Star has a better line-up and although UA is not all perfect, they don't stick it to customers the way DL does. We can endure UA E+ for a few hours domestically and we basically pay for discount P or Z class travel overseas. As long as we maintain *G status, we are happy.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just lost my status and I tend to fly DL now when they're the cheapest option so I imagine I will be affected.

Example:
- RDU-MSP-ORD next month for $141. Current Mileage: 1,480. New Mileage: 705

I'm going to miss the 500 mile minimum that non-elites currently get still.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We should be better off. We pay for the short flights and use miles for the longer ones to fly in FC. Every short flight I've checked will earn us more and we've never had much luck getting the longer flights at the low mileage rates anyhow. We're just doing domestic these days and not really concerned about status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.