Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-ICN Award Availability in Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation JFK-ICN Award Availability in Business

I am trying to find ONE award ticket (using Delta skymiles) in business class JFK-ICN on Korean air on Delta.com but have had no luck so far - even looking 1 year out from my intended travel dates, this route does not show up even at the higher mileage level.

I am seeing plenty of availability on Korean air from IAD, ATL, LAX etc. but for some reason there's absolutely nothing on the JFK-ICN route, for either of the 2 daily flights that Korean operates out of JFK.

Does anyone have any insights on why this is so? I am pretty flexible with my dates and am willing to book 330 days out - I wanna try an avoid taking a connection to either ATL or LAX if i can find something out of JFK.

Does Korean not release seats for JFK-ICN?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I can't get a single JFK-ICN award (non-stop on KE) to pop up either...even though there are two flights per day to and from JFK-ICN.

Very odd. Is Delta or KE blocking those flights for award redemption???
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: SQ
There's a slight glitch

Availability on this route is tough, so no promises here....

Often DL doesn't show the correct results on the first search. The trick to this is to search by schedule, JFK-ICN, then after the results are displayed press the search button on the left again.

There's also good availability on the DTW-ICN flight if you're keen on seats with aisle access
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - i'll give it a shot.

Anyone have a listing of 2014/15 blackout dates imposed by Delta for KE redemptions?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
2015 DL Blackout dates for KE

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22416048-post1.html
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

This is good information - following previously given suggestions, I am able to see JFK-ICN availability, but only in Coach; either Korean or Delta is holding business class availability on this route.

My plan was do to a 12 hour layover in ICN and use their visa-free transit tours before departing onwards - for that, I'd have to take an inbound flight that reaches ICN in the morning. So far, the only options I see are LAS-ICN, LAX-ICN or JFK-ICN.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could you fly into NRT and then take an early morning KE flight to ICN the next day?

Are you sure your nationality requires a visa for a slightly longer visit?

I like the DTW-ICN DL flight on the 747. Watch out for the KE aircraft with 2-3-2 seating in business class.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by bludgeon29
I am trying to find ONE award ticket (using Delta skymiles) in business class JFK-ICN on Korean air on Delta.com but have had no luck so far - even looking 1 year out from my intended travel dates, this route does not show up even at the higher mileage level.

I am seeing plenty of availability on Korean air from IAD, ATL, LAX etc. but for some reason there's absolutely nothing on the JFK-ICN route, for either of the 2 daily flights that Korean operates out of JFK.

Does anyone have any insights on why this is so? I am pretty flexible with my dates and am willing to book 330 days out - I wanna try an avoid taking a connection to either ATL or LAX if i can find something out of JFK.

Does Korean not release seats for JFK-ICN?

Thanks in advance!
Try connecting through DTW. There is lots of green for Business class and you get to enjoy the Delta refurbished 747(s) aircraft. Its totally worth the connection.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Try connecting through DTW. There is lots of green for Business class and you get to enjoy the Delta refurbished 747(s) aircraft. Its totally worth the connection.
That's an interesting option - I am flying onward ICN-MEL so I'll be on KE anyways; taking DTW-ICN on the 747 seems like a viable option inspite of the additional connection and overnight in ICN - and i believe I eligible for visa free entry (or visa on arrival) for S. Korea but i'll double check.

Last edited by bludgeon29; Feb 25, 2014 at 7:12 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I agree, but OP said that he/she wanted to arrive in the morning. IIRC DTW-ICN is scheduled to arrive in the early afternoon.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like the DTW-ICN DL flight on the 747. Watch out for the KE aircraft with 2-3-2 seating in business class.
Even with 2-3-2, chances are the middle seat will be empty, and either way it's a lot more comfortable than any of DL lie flats on KE's Prestige Sleeper (fully lie flat rectangular, no funny angles, no coffin effect).

BTW, if you have the chance to take KE Prestige Sleeper on the A380, that is well worth it. The A380 ride on the upper deck is like no other.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Even with 2-3-2, chances are the middle seat will be empty, and either way it's a lot more comfortable than any of DL lie flats on KE's Prestige Sleeper (fully lie flat rectangular, no funny angles, no coffin effect).

BTW, if you have the chance to take KE Prestige Sleeper on the A380, that is well worth it. The A380 ride on the upper deck is like no other.
The 380 upper deck with the private bar lounges is something else!!

Now the hard part - getting low availability with sky pesos around my travel dates...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I agree, but OP said that he/she wanted to arrive in the morning. IIRC DTW-ICN is scheduled to arrive in the early afternoon.
DTW-ICN arrives around 800p. There are very few KE flights that leave after DL158 arrives.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bludgeon29
That's an interesting option - I am flying onward ICN-MEL so I'll be on KE anyways; taking DTW-ICN on the 747 seems like a viable option inspite of the additional connection and overnight in ICN - and i believe I eligible for visa free entry (or visa on arrival) for S. Korea but i'll double check.
You don't need a visa for entry into S. Korea. I was just there and no visa needed. Also, there are two decent hotels right near the airport (5 minute shuttle ride). A Best Western, which is where I stayed and is actually very nice. It prices out at around $110 a night. There is also a Hyatt but it is double the price.

As for the A380 prestige seat being nicer then the DL flat bed, I actually never been on the KE A380 w/ flat bed but I did enjoy it on the KE A333. I liked it but not much comes close to the upper deck (UD) on the DL 747. You get a 1 - 1 configuration. The next best thing to being on a private jet. I believe there are only 15 seats up there. Totally oblivious to you is the fact that there are close to 400 other people on the plane. DL 747 via DTW is the way to go.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:40 pm
Suspended

If the OP can be flexible, then the DL 747 is the way to go for the reasons I mentioned above. Anyone disagree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.