SkyWish program question

Old Feb 15, 14, 7:33 am
Original Poster

SkyWish program question

I'm working on an application for my nonprofit to join Delta's SkyWish program, and the instructions say to describe our "support for the alignment of the (ours) organization with the SkyWish program". The SkyWish page doesn't describe their goals or program focus like most philanthropic endeavors do (ie. we want to make the world a better place for children, or humanitarian efforts, or disaster relief). It only says "Not sure what to do with your SkyMiles? Donate them to charity. Whichever charity or charities you choose, your miles will be put to good use."

I've websearched to try to find another site that better describes the program and come up empty. So apart from offering to have the Delta logo and a link to the SkyWish program on our website, how do we support alignment with their program?
Old Feb 15, 14, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Since the only relevant thing that the Skywish site offers is the ability to post miles to the listed charities, you should decide if there is a charity or 2 on tat list that is relevant to your interest, and maybe even link your users to the specific link for one of more specific charities that you want your folks to support.

One does wonder what the miles are actually used for at the Canine Assistants or other charities... would hope it perhaps is used to provide some business travel cost amelioration.
Old Feb 15, 14, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
Since the only relevant thing that the Skywish site offers is the ability to post miles to the listed charities, you should decide if there is a charity or 2 on tat list that is relevant to your interest, and maybe even link your users to the specific link for one of more specific charities that you want your folks to support.

One does wonder what the miles are actually used for at the Canine Assistants or other charities... would hope it perhaps is used to provide some business travel cost amelioration.
I think the OP wants her charity to be added to this list and thus able to receive miles from the general public.

I've seen assistance dogs in training on planes, both to train them about people and travel and to deliver them to people who need them. Maybe their accompanying human handlers were using donated award tickets.
Old Feb 15, 14, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
"I think the OP wants her charity to be added to this list and thus able to receive miles from the general public."

Uh.. Duuuh moment for me...

Hard to see a specific theme to the charities listed, so hard to advise the OP on how best to approach this. If the OP's charity is unlike the others, or servics a missing clientele, that might be worth noting.

And, maybe the OP can respond with why mile donations would be particularly helpful to their charity.
Old Feb 16, 14, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Yes, I'm working on getting my organization added to the list. It is an animal charity, so seeing the canine assistant group on there encourages me. Interestingly I think the blurbs they include with each organization in the list should include why they need donated miles, but they don't. It seems to be a free for all. My group has a clear cut need for miles, which I can explain in the application, so maybe that's all we need. I just didn't want to lose out in the selection process because I didn't meet the most important criteria (alignment with the program).
Old Feb 16, 14, 8:46 am

Programs: No status anymore
I think Delta wants to know how much "free press" you will give the SkyWish Program. Maybe they want a link on your website to direct your donors to SkyWish site. Maybe they want you to mention SkyWish in your printed materials.

Definately look at the SkyWish listed charities and see if SkyWish Program is mentioned on those NPO websites then decide the value to your organization. If you see Delta plastered everywhere, perhaps the value isn't there. Being in the NPO world myself, its a battle not to prostitute yourself (not literally) to donors! Good Luck!
Old Feb 16, 14, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you tried to search for any press releases from DL about SkyWish? That might be a place to find statements about the goals of the program.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: