Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat on 737-900ER?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The FAs on one of my recent flights were .....ing about the fun sized carts. One of the drawers wasn't fitting right; the FA basically unpacked the whole thing in the middle of the aisle and fought with it for 5 minutes before she got the problematic drawer to fit in like it was supposed to. And they apologized for the fun sized bathroom. And they apologized for the blaring commercials that play after takeoff. They seemed to hate everything about the plane (which is not to be construed as them providing bad service). They did the best they could.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Will be flying this on a red eye SEA-ATL. No EC for me, but can sit in any exit seat. Looks like the best choices are row 19 or 21 A/F. Which would you recommend for sleeping? Does 19 recline at all? If in 21 A/F, can you stow bag underneath 19? IFE is not of concern, will be sleeping (or attempting to) all the way through.

Last edited by italdesign; Jan 26, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I flew this bird earlier this month in a bulkhead (1D) seat and I think I can say I prefer the FC bulkhead seats to any other up front seats. The screen is nicely mounted on the bulkhead, and large enough to see. There is no awkward viewing angle since the bulkhead cannot recline.

Legroom is a bit limited, but I was okay with it and I'm 6'3".

I normally abhor bulkhead seats, but I will definitely go for them on this aircraft.

David
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by italdesign
Will be flying this on a red eye SEA-ATL. No EC for me, but can sit in any exit seat. Looks like the best choices are row 19 or 21 A/F. Which would you recommend for sleeping? Does 19 recline at all? If in 21 A/F, can you stow bag underneath 19? IFE is not of concern, will be sleeping (or attempting to) all the way through.
Before I got FC upgrades, I kept my eye on 21 A/F. Yes you can put your stuff under 19 A/F. I have long legs and thoroughly enjoy the missing seat I'm surprised people don't like it but I love it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Are there any more data points on 10A and 10C? I'm looking for the maximum amount of legroom in Y, and these seem to be the ticket. Has anyone had issues stowing their bags under the last row of F or is it allowed by DL and the FAs?

Fortunately we're on the 767 returning but this is the only bird flying LAX/DTW that will allow us to make a connection.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Are there any more data points on 10A and 10C? I'm looking for the maximum amount of legroom in Y, and these seem to be the ticket. Has anyone had issues stowing their bags under the last row of F or is it allowed by DL and the FAs?

Fortunately we're on the 767 returning but this is the only bird flying LAX/DTW that will allow us to make a connection.
Yes, you will be fine. Just grab them while you can.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; DL SC; UA Plat
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst

To update this: yes, 10 ABC probably have the best leg room in economy for two people (which I'm guessing at since you say "we".) Only one big drop-down video screen, though, compared to the individual IFE in almost every other seat in the plane.

For solo flyers, 21A or F have no seat in front of them.

This is a MISERABLE aircraft for pax comfort, front and back.

The bulkhead closet wall in front of 10 DEF makes 10E and 10F stink, though with D you can angle partway into the gap/aisle.

I was reserving judgment on this plane, since I'd only flown it a few times, but in today's midcon from SMF-ATL, it solidified my opinion that it's the worst plane in Delta's mainline fleet. I'd honestly rather fly a CR7 or CR9, or *any* of the Embraer regionals than this thing, something I don't say lightly as a 6'4" person. The "F" section is laughable, Economy Comfort is a barely better than true steerage, and the lav door configuration in the back guarantees an absolute cluster**** pretty much any time you're allowed to transit all the way to the back of the airplane (since there are no mid-cabin Y lavs.) The Y lav doors all open out into the aisle (rather thanb accordion in), and it's a narrow, difficult little dance to move around people (something the FAs clearly weren't enjoying either.)

I kind of thought others were going a little too far in saying they'll pay more and/or change up their schedules to avoid the 739, but I absolutely will going forward. And I'll seriously consider another airline whenever the 739 is my only DL option.

Sure, free movies on the IFE in Economy "Comfort" is nice. But I'll still take literally *any* mainline Delta jet I can think of over this plane, and as noted above, most of the regionals.

The suggestion that this plane is a valid replacement for the 757 series is preposterous.

Oh, Delta: one of the many reasons we're breaking up.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM
I've flown this plane several times over the last 6 months and I am surprised at how divisive this piece of equipment is. I've been in basic economy once, comfort + three times, and first once. My only complaint is with the overhead space above comfort +. I've had two occasions that I've had to put my roll aboard two rows back from where I was seated. Otherwise, it hasn't been worth complaining about.

I certainly wouldn't leave Delta due to its presence in the fleet.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by warmstor
I was reserving judgment on this plane, since I'd only flown it a few times, but in today's midcon from SMF-ATL, it solidified my opinion that it's the worst plane in Delta's mainline fleet. I'd honestly rather fly a CR7 or CR9, or *any* of the Embraer regionals than this thing, something I don't say lightly as a 6'4" person.
What is with everyone flying SMF-ATL recently? I keep missing upgrades
Old May 9, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by warmstor
To update this: yes, 10 ABC probably have the best leg room in economy for two people (which I'm guessing at since you say "we".) Only one big drop-down video screen, though, compared to the individual IFE in almost every other seat in the plane.
10 ABC do have individual screens. They store between armrests and are on a "stick" or "arm". You have to release a little stopper thing between your seat and the seat next to you and it pops out a little. Then you pull it up and rotate it and it rests above your lap on the stick.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I'm not sure I get the fuss/point of the special interior lighting. I was in 1D on a daylight trans-con SAN-ATL flight yesterday and didn't notice much difference between the 739 and say a 763 on the same route, other than some faint blue in various places in the ceiling. Was it not noticeable because of the outside light?
Old May 13, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Adding screens that tilt would have been really nice. I can deal with the mini bathrooms, but the screens are just annoying esp when the person in front of you reclines.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
I've been on two 739 flights and found them fine. 19D (no recline exit row) and 4B, both redeyes, and even at 6'2 I slept very comfortably.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HHonors, Hyatt
AVOID 11D at all costs! There is a closet right in front of you, your PTV is in the armrest, and you will probably get bumped by the cart -- as you are almost in the middle of the isle.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Delta757man
AVOID 11D at all costs! There is a closet right in front of you, your PTV is in the armrest, and you will probably get bumped by the cart -- as you are almost in the middle of the isle.
I'd avoid ANY seat surrounded by water, especially when the isle is only about 18" across

someone REALLY needs to develop a "context-check" app to run in the background and flag these typos before the post goes live ... but that would kill off a good bit of FT banter
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.