Best seat on 737-900ER?

Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
The one that stands out in my mind is the IFE. Instead of a screen mounted on an arm that extends from the armrest, the screen is mounted on 19A and 19F. It's bad enough viewing a seatback screen when someone reclines in front of you, but imagine that screen being mounted 2 rows ahead and then reclined...
For me the screen is not important (except for the "my flight")
I prefer watch movie on my laptop (or work, sleep)
The first for me is the legroom, and this seat is the one with the more legroom (more than business).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Best FC row for service animal

My dad travels with his service dog and needs to fly Delta. The plane is a 737-900 ER. And he travels in FC. There will be two passengers in addition to the dog. The dog is a golden retriever. Would rows other than row 1 have sufficient leg room? Or would the bulkhead be better? Thank you!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Dirt
Just flew on this bird. Not a fan. I feel like the air vents don't push out much air. Everything feels cramped on if also. I have sat in 1A(cramped) 2A and 3B. The 737-900 just doesn't have the same spacious feel as the 757. I'm not a fan of united's either. They don't seem as cramped as Deltas though.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by us2

Frankly, I don't know what brilliance led Boeing to shut down production in the first place. The 757 may well be one of the most versatile airplanes ever built.
Boeing wanted to keep the line open, but no airlines were buying at the time.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:40 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Radiohead71
Boeing wanted to keep the line open, but no airlines were buying at the time.
Yes, times were tough in 2003-2004 and there weren't any orders. The failure isn't in shutting down production, it was in failing to keep the program alive for when the industry recovered. A Next-Generation 757, along the lines of the NG737 would have likely been successful. There is, quite simply, no replacement for the 757 on the market or even on the drawing board. It is, without question, one of the most versatile airplanes ever produced, capable of handling everything from short-haul high density routes (for which it was designed as a 727 replacement) to transatlantic flights. I had read somewhere recently that Boeing was considering some sort of project for a replacement. IMO, that can't come quickly enough. It's a solid airframe that needs more fuel efficient engines, improved avionics and lighter weight by replacing some of the structure with composites. That isn't a lot of reworking for a design that is 35 years old. I'd add that the 767 could use a similar reworking as there really isn't a good replacement for it either.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:49 am

I have taken both FC and EP on the 737-900ER. I am 6'1'', and I don't feel cramped that much. If you are shorter than 6' and feel cramped, then you are probably overweight. The seat width is plenty for both my friends and me. Why should the airlines pay for the passenger's own issue? My colleague who is 6'4'' also does not complain that plane. It's fresh and nice. I think DL is doing its job well.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Airmale85
Just flew on this bird. Not a fan. I feel like the air vents don't push out much air. Everything feels cramped on if also. I have sat in 1A(cramped) 2A and 3B. The 737-900 just doesn't have the same spacious feel as the 757.
Agree about the air vents... there isn't a lot of flow. Row 1 the aisles are alright since you can stretch your feet out that way. I'm disappointed they didn't put foot cutouts in there. The bug plus however is that the pax in front isn't going to recline into you and make it feel really cramped and not be able to view the monitor well like the other F seats.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by Andrew Ying
I have taken both FC and EP on the 737-900ER. I am 6'1'', and I don't feel cramped that much. If you are shorter than 6' and feel cramped, then you are probably overweight. The seat width is plenty for both my friends and me. Why should the airlines pay for the passenger's own issue? My colleague who is 6'4'' also does not complain that plane. It's fresh and nice. I think DL is doing its job well.

AMEN!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
For my Dad and his service dog, we decided to forgo first class and get the three seats in Row 10 ABC. Seemed like that was the best option to provide space for dog and dad.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by entrada
For my Dad and his service dog, we decided to forgo first class and get the three seats in Row 10 ABC. Seemed like that was the best option to provide space for dog and dad.
10 ABC is probably the best option. As you can see here, there isn't really any space at the FC bulkhead. I don't know what DL's rule (or the FAA, or whoever) is on service animals in the bulkhead row, but you'd have to straddle the dog between your legs and the seat and the bulkhead. At least row 10 is along the lines of row 4 on an Airbus.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:54 am

Most uncomfortable seats on delta fleet. It actually competes crj100/200 and that is a feat. First class seat is like sitting on wood.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by us2
Frankly, I don't know what brilliance led Boeing to shut down production in the first place. The 757 may well be one of the most versatile airplanes ever built.
Unfortunately, sales of 757s to airlines did not reflect the pax preference. I much prefer the 757 over 737s even though the fuselage cross-section is the same (cramped) Boeing tube first offered in the 1950s.

But the 757 has a mid-cabin lav (or 1+2, depending on config), I feel like the beefier long-haul wing produces a better ride, and fairly frequently they use door 2 for loading & unloading, which probably speeds things up a bit ... or at least I don't see the slightly happier pax in F as I board.

The fact that the 757 could do longer sectors tends to mean its fuel burn per pax is higher, especially on, say under 2,000 mile sectors. Add in that the 757 has older engine tech, heavier landing gear, etc, and unfortunately for all us passengers, the -800 and -900 will be the 757 replacement for a chunk of flying.

I look forward to the A321s. At least they're coming with the 18 inch seat. On 6 across, it will help, IMO.

Edit: The big drawback of the A321 is range, so it won't replace the 757 for TATL point-to-point flying.
Edit 2: Airbus reportedly is considering an ER version of the 321neo, aimed at TATL. We'll see if anyone bites.

Last edited by RaflW; Nov 1, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by epekarik
Most uncomfortable seats on delta fleet. It actually competes crj100/200 and that is a feat. First class seat is like sitting on wood.
Get used to them. It's the seat that Delta is installing on all their refurbs. Showing up on the 757-300 and soon the -200's and Airbus narrows.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Flew my first 737-900 yesterday BOS-ATL. Vents are not powerful and screen tilt issue in FC became annoying when person ahead tilted his seat back. Also, where you have to plug in your headset, right at the seatback screen, causes the wire to drag across your food tray..

The FC galley is practically non-existent. Like the fact that it has 20 FC seats. That's a plus.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond
re: First Class Galley

Why do I see FTers talk about the size of the FC galley on the 739er fleet? Why should we care? Clearly it is large enough to support the catering needs of FC. I have flown the 739 in FC several times and it's not like anything has ever run out. I also have never thought that service speed seem impacted compared to other aircraft types. It looks a little cramped up there, but that is how 737s are because of the cart position closest to the cockpit extends aft. Definitely less roomy than say an A319 or A320...but it is what it is on the 737s.

It does appear that compared to the 737-700 and 737-800, that Delta went with only a half size cart galley behind door 1R on the 739 instead of a full size cart galley. But I have counted the carts while up there waiting for the lav, and there are 3 half size carts forward of the door and 3 half size carts behind the door. So the equivalent of 3 full size carts. The MD88, MD90 and 717 only have 5 full size carts for the whole plane. So while there is less storage than a 737 or 738, it seems like Delta decided that there was too much on the 737-700 and 737-800, so they went with a half cart galley. But like I said, nothing has ever run out for me. Have people on here run out of stuff?

It just seems weird to me that our assessment of the plane would ever involve commenting that a galley is small....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.