Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

737-900ER Seat Configuration Rows 19-21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-900ER Seat Configuration Rows 19-21

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
Anyone have any other data points on row 20?

I get that they don't recline, but I'm wondering about legroom -- is it truly "no more than regular coach" or maybe just "only a tiny bit more than regular coach"?

My understanding is that the standard seats on the 739 are very tight, in the 31" neighborhood or maybe even 30", so even 32" would be an improvement over the rest of the plane, though it still wouldn't be C+.

Traveling with my husband who has long legs so having the pair of seats without the third is a very nice feature, but debating whether it is worth it. As a point of comparison, he fits okay in regular coach seats on the international 763 (which I think are 32"?) but not so well in many narrowbody regular coach seats.
The 739 Main Cabin has 31" pitch with a few blocks of seats with 30" as an exception to the rule. Row 20 also has 31" pitch. Row 19 has 38" and row 21 has 33". Also keep in mind that one seat on each side of the aisle in row 20 has one less inch of width.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Widgets
The 739 Main Cabin has 31" pitch with a few blocks of seats with 30" as an exception to the rule. Row 20 also has 31" pitch. Row 19 has 38" and row 21 has 33". Also keep in mind that one seat on each side of the aisle in row 20 has one less inch of width.
Thanks for the very thorough response ^^^ Guess we will have to debate whether to be squished horizontally or vertically.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking for any additional feedback on these seats for an upcoming ~4+ hour flight.
Two of us have purchased 3 seats, and we can choose row 19 or 21. My companion needs the legroom, and sometimes (but not always) struggles hip-wise in the seats with the fixed armrests.
19 seems great (where we are currently confirmed), with the drawback that recline is limited (or nonexistent - any confirmation?). Are there regular (raising) armrests in this row? Does the window seat have a full armrest, or just a "stub" against the sidewall because of the exit window?
And what does 21A/F have for armrest - seems the tray table is on the inside armrest, is there a full/normal outer armrest?

Thanks!

ETA - Hmm, found some google images of row 19 - looks like virtually NO armrest on the window there, that's painful, and coupled with no recline, I'm tempted to move to 21. But can't get a good sense of the armrest situation 21 A/F.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jan 24, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:06 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Looking for any additional feedback on these seats for an upcoming ~4+ hour flight.
Two of us have purchased 3 seats, and we can choose row 19 or 21. My companion needs the legroom, and sometimes (but not always) struggles hip-wise in the seats with the fixed armrests.
19 seems great (where we are currently confirmed), with the drawback that recline is limited (or nonexistent - any confirmation?). Are there regular (raising) armrests in this row? Does the window seat have a full armrest, or just a "stub" against the sidewall because of the exit window?
And what does 21A/F have for armrest - seems the tray table is on the inside armrest, is there a full/normal outer armrest?

Thanks!
I can confirm that 19 has no recline at all and a good amount of legroom. Sorry, I don't remember what the full armrest situation is, hopefully someone else can help, but I think row 19 has the fixed armrests at the aisle and on either side of the middle seat, at least.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Row 19 has a nub arm rest. I think row 21 may have a normal armrest but I don't remember. Nub armrests don't bother me so I may just not have noticed.

19 is definitely the best row with lots of legroom. There is no recline, but I don't believe there is any recline in row 21 either.

Row 21 BC/DE have no extra leg room relative to other Y seats (maybe half an inch) but I like them if only because no one can recline into your space.

As you probably already know, row 20 should be avoided like the plague. The seats are physically narrower than normal and the leg room is worse than normal.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I sat in 19A once and liked it. The left armrest is a "nub" as ethernal says! But the rest of the armrests in row 19 are normal ones you can raise. There is no recline but I felt like the fixed position was comfortable - not bolt upright like on some other jets exit rows.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'll report back in a couple days, maybe even with pix; my wife and I have 21AB (SEA-DTW) tomorrow ...
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 25, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Sat in row 20 on a ATL-DAB flight. Personally I liked the seat, only one other person sitting beside you and I found enough legroom (certainly more than the reconfigured 757 I was on) and the comfort/legroom for me was ample. Also enjoyed the PTV's and power ports.

Now of course this was on a 1 hour flight and not a ATL-LAX or DTW-LAX flight, but I must admit I was wrong about 739, other than the terrible takeoff performance.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
as promised

Row 21

Row 19
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'll report back in a couple days, maybe even with pix; my wife and I have 21AB (SEA-DTW) tomorrow ...
DiscoPapa likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - appreciate it!
I'm very torn here. The idea of 4+ hours with no recline (I only need an inch or two) and no real armrest on one side is giving me agita.
If we take 21, my companion who normally likes the aisle and needs the legroom can take the window, and hopefully the fixed armrest on one side won't impinge on his hip room (nor the sidewall impinge on his shoulder room). Hopefully.
I'd probably be okay with standard legroom (though someone above suggested it's 1-2" extra?) on the aisle -- again, we'll have an empty middle so I can man-spread and cross my legs as needed.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:21 pm

I just booked seat 21A on this plane for a 5 hour flight. I'm 6'2, so having the leg room will be great. I'm concerned with screen so far ahead, though. Are the same movies available on a tablet with Delta Studio? Also, how is view? All wing? Any issues with alignment? Thanks. -John
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by jgrahamiii
I just booked seat 21A on this plane for a 5 hour flight. I'm 6'2, so having the leg room will be great. I'm concerned with screen so far ahead, though. Are the same movies available on a tablet with Delta Studio? Also, how is view? All wing? Any issues with alignment? Thanks. -John
I sat in 21F a few weeks ago. The screen is further away but I was still able to see it. There's also a remote in the armrest so you don't have to get out of the seat to use the touchscreen. It seems to me that Delta Studio on the tablet has a lot more selection than it used to, but I still think it's less than what's available on the screen. Unfortunately, I don't remember the view!
ijgordon and bgriff like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgrahamiii
... how is view? All wing? Any issues with alignment? Thanks. -John
iirc the view from 21 is lots of metal; 19 gives you more of the nacelle and some additional sky
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks guys. Both answers are very helpful. Just have to decide if want to keep the leg room or pay more for an upgrade to C+. The C+ seats I can get though are only on the south side of the plane on an afternoon flight. Concerned about the sun, not to mention additional cost. -John
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for the next 6 months the sun is actually pretty high in the sky during the afternoon ... I’d probably opt for C+, but the exit row legroom isn’t that much of a deal for me at 5-6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.