Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get a letter from DL extending their status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

I got a letter in the mail from Delta yesterday telling me my status was being extended through February of 2015. I was platinum last year, but was set to drop down to silver in March.

Anyone else ever get this? Was always under the impression that Delta was not about soft landings, and certainly not about status extensions.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thinning the ranks indeed.

Were you a high spend elite, either in 2012 or 2013?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Oh please, Delta, pretty please. I don't want to be demoted to PM. I promise I will try harder in 2014.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

$19k in 2014, and I flew almost weekly until basically stopping very abruptly in September. Only qualified for silver though because a bunch of my flights were $900 CRJ hops in the midwest.

In 2012, I was probably around the same spend but flying longer routes at lower dollars (so I hit platinum).
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mspflyer3
$19k in 2014, and I flew almost weekly until basically stopping very abruptly in September. Only qualified for silver though because a bunch of my flights were $900 CRJ hops in the midwest.

In 2012, I was probably around the same spend but flying longer routes at lower dollars (so I hit platinum).
Ah yes.
Delta rather gives you plat and gets another $19k this year (hopefully), than see you possibly leave for another carrier. Makes good business sense.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So the OP's MQDs were roughly equal to twice the level to be required for PM plus the level for FO.

ADDED: Alternatively, in 2013, the OP had seven times the MQDs to be required for FO.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 4, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Combined with the PM/100k promo, this is making my backache from the 20k BIS I flew last week even worse...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So the OP's MQDs were roughly equal to twice the level to be required for PM plus the level for FO.

ADDED: Alternatively, in 2013, the OP had seven times the MQDs to be required for FO.
Never really considered that my consulting career made me such a HVC in delta's eyes!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
A $19k Silver Medallion... bubbashow thanks you for your support.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
Never really considered that my consulting career made me such a HVC in delta's eyes!
Congrats. DL likes you!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
Thinning the ranks indeed.
Gotta keep the elite ranks inflated.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Me too, Me too

Originally Posted by indufan
Oh please, Delta, pretty please. I don't want to be demoted to PM. I promise I will try harder in 2014.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver

I'm already on the bottom 25% of the upgrade list for both of my flights this evening, as a PM with a Reserve card. Same thing happened to both legs on Monday. Every DM/PM dropping to FO is one less competitor!

Unless Delta just doesn't even pretend to give upgrades to FOs anymore. That would also explain it. I'm used to missing upgrades regularly as PM but I'm used to missing it by 1 or 2 people, not almost the entire upgrade list.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Sounds like spend-based status has effectively arrived.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
A $19k Silver Medallion... bubbashow thanks you for your support.
Good grief - I spent just over 19K to get DM.

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Sounds like spend-based status has effectively arrived.
It makes total sense from a business point of view. Keep your high spend customers from going to another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.