Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get a letter from DL extending their status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else get a letter from DL extending their status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyintn
While rare, I am sure their are some people that spend $1/mqm.
Walk up fares LGA-BOS.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Seat loyalty is long recognized. Dollar value is core to their P/L - of course they should recognize, just as any other business does. But the real question is how effective their CRM is - does it value choice and personal value? My own dollars buying a business fare should be worth more than a corporate policy dictating a full Y for some employee that doesn't care. Courting a corporate travel manager may seem important, but we don't get those discounts they get.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jsmith50
But it's always been DL's policy that displaced pax may receive higher priority on the UG and standby list...the message on the gate boards always says ranking may be made by status, fare and same day travel disruptions. Agree that a non-status shouldn't trump, say, a DM but probably should trump someone who is just trying to standby for any given flight.
I don't recall ever hearing that displaced pax receive higher upgrade priority, and it wouldn't make any sense at all unless the displaced pax originally had a FC ticket. I believe the GIDS message related to standby and not to upgrades.

David
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I don't recall ever hearing that displaced pax receive higher upgrade priority, and it wouldn't make any sense at all unless the displaced pax originally had a FC ticket. I believe the GIDS message related to standby and not to upgrades.

David
Delta absolutely gives upgrade priority to displaced pax. IROPS gets coded for upgrades as if it was a full fare Y ticket (although miles earned are still on the booked fare). So a GM IROPS passenger has higher priority than a DM but lower priority than a DM IROPS passenger.

A search of the board should show you that I'm not making this up. I thought it was common knowledge.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
I got a letter in the mail from Delta yesterday telling me my status was being extended through February of 2015. I was platinum last year, but was set to drop down to silver in March.

Anyone else ever get this? Was always under the impression that Delta was not about soft landings, and certainly not about status extensions.
Please provide scan of letter.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
I assume by your handle that you are based in MSP? I find it even more amazing in that case. If you were out of a battlefield airport, I can see using this as an enticement to keep you flying DL. But in a captive hub like MSP or ATL? You're stuck w/ DL for many of the flights it sounds like you were taking.

So that said, glad to see DL apparently using status as a reward and not an enticement here.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Why should the OP do that? I wouldn't.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by realjd
I'm already on the bottom 25% of the upgrade list for both of my flights this evening, as a PM with a Reserve card. Same thing happened to both legs on Monday.
Upgrade lists for the past week or so are no indication of anything because of the mass of IRROPS ...

My understanding is this is certainly the case, and I think anecdotal evidence supports this.

Furthermore, my understanding is that this priority is not just because of the way rebookings show as Y, but there is a separate priority code assigned to disrupted passengers so they receive priority over even those on a paid Y fare whose plans have not been disrupted. For example, an FO who is disrupted will be higher on the upgrade list than a DM on a Y-fare that has not been disrupted.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
There are no such thing as an IROP upgrade priority. It just happens that the system/agents rebook in Y. The example that an IROPed FO rebooked in Y will trump a non IROPed DM booked in Y is simply false.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pragakhan
Why should the OP do that? I wouldn't.
I certainly would not either. It would be bragging and unethical. It would basically saying "Look how wonderful I am". True high value fliers usually have no need/desire to engage in that sort of behavior.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by realjd
Delta absolutely gives upgrade priority to displaced pax. IROPS gets coded for upgrades as if it was a full fare Y ticket (although miles earned are still on the booked fare). So a GM IROPS passenger has higher priority than a DM but lower priority than a DM IROPS passenger.

A search of the board should show you that I'm not making this up. I thought it was common knowledge.
Originally Posted by zsmith2
There are no such thing as an IROP upgrade priority. It just happens that the system/agents rebook in Y. The example that an IROPed FO rebooked in Y will trump a non IROPed DM booked in Y is simply false.
I believe, although I'm not 100% sure of course as I do not work for Delta, something doesn't match up here.

Case in point - last week I was on a flight that delayed past any hope of making my connection. I rebooked through the app onto a flight the next day, which promptly cancelled. The ticket agent rebooked me again back onto the original flight (with a later, and also much delayed connection). I went from #8 on the UG list to #3 and my fare class on the re-issued ticket on the app and on my BP, still showed the same (T), as well as the booked/flown (T/RU).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
That's hardly a fair request. You post your exploits without any proof whatsoever except for your original post here about how wonderful it was to mile run on Delta, and you quickly deleted that.

As far as the upgrade priority for distressed passengers, several posts above support that is an artifact of being rebooked into Y and not a policy.

And folks need to remember that when you get rebooked into Y, the system remembers your original booking class and that's how your flights will post.

David
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Case in point - last week I was on a flight that delayed past any hope of making my connection. I rebooked through the app onto a flight the next day, which promptly cancelled. The ticket agent rebooked me again back onto the original flight (with a later, and also much delayed connection). I went from #8 on the UG list to #3 and my fare class on the re-issued ticket on the app and on my BP, still showed the same (T), as well as the booked/flown (T/RU).
You might well not have been the only passenger rebooked off your original flight.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
That's hardly a fair request. You post your exploits without any proof whatsoever except for your original post here about how wonderful it was to mile run on Delta, and you quickly deleted that.

As far as the upgrade priority for distressed passengers, several posts above support that is an artifact of being rebooked into Y and not a policy.

And folks need to remember that when you get rebooked into Y, the system remembers your original booking class and that's how your flights will post.

David
This hasn't been my experience. I have been rebooked into Y due to IRROPS three times over the past year and every time I was credited with flying Y, not my original booking class (usually a S,L,U,T fare)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it is so wrong to give higher upgrade priority IROPed lower (or no) status customers. It provides an incentive for everyone to try to change flights just to attempt to be more likely to get an upgrade.
Right or wrong, I'm not sure that it's enough of an incentive for everyone to try rebooking to flights that might get IRROP'd. Your UG priority doesn't change because you've SDC'd or something like that, only if the flight you're booked on has some sort of delay or cancellation.

And at least in my case, I'm usually more interested in getting where I'm going than I am in sitting around for hours just for some marginally better chance of an UG.

Who's taking bets on mbwmbw "receiving" one of these letters in his own name a few weeks after a scan is posted somewhere?

Friendly jokes aside, I wouldn't post it if I were OP. Don't really see what value it adds as OP has already provided most of the relevant details, including the stamp/postmark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.