Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any other DM's waiting to choose Choice Benefits to select new options?

Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Globalist.

I've spoken with Delta several times about this, and it seems that DM's who haven't selected their choice benefits for the most recent qualification year (2014) can wait until March and select the new benefits -- which will include the (hopefully) much more valuable upgrade certificates.

Though I've confirmed with two different reps, I'm a bit nervous that when March rolls around I'll log in to select them and find that since I didn't select before February 28th they have expired and the DM Phone Reps will say the same.

Are any other DM's waiting to select their benefits? Has Delta confirmed with you that they will allow you to select in March?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The deadline always depends on what year the choice benefit is for. Fortunately, the choice benefit website tells you when you must choose by. Log in... You'll see something like "PLEASE SELECT YOUR 2014 DIAMOND MEDALLION CHOICE BENEFIT."

Then look down in the T&Cs for language like this: "Choice Benefits selections for 2014 status need to be made by February 28, 2015"

If you're still hanging onto a 2013 choice benefit, those would expire in another month or so.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have a remaining set of choice benefits where I'm trying to decide whether to pick the new SWUs or the new upgrade instruments. It would help to know details about wait list upgrade priority before being forced to decide. If I go with my last chance to get (more) SWUs, I want the expiration dates to be as late as possible, so I'll wait until close to the end of the month. OTOH if I wait, I'll wait further and not pick until I have definite plans to try to use the new upgrades. I've also booked two summer trips early, with upgrades all confirmed, just in case the new upgrade certs make upgrades even harder to confirm.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Waiting, yes, but . . . . .

(not really related to the OP - - Just venting a little) . . . .

Flying SLC/CDG on Feb 26, so, the new certs won't be out or useable yet.

Returning CDG/ATL on Mar 6 CDG/ATL. The rules state that the new certs aren't useable ex-CDG.

Rrrrrrgggh!!

Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Waiting, yes, but . . . . .

(not really related to the OP - - Just venting a little) . . . .

Flying SLC/CDG on Feb 26, so, the new certs won't be out or useable yet.

Returning CDG/ATL on Mar 6 CDG/ATL. The rules state that the new certs aren't useable ex-CDG.

Rrrrrrgggh!!

Aren't useable CDG, aren't useable for AF flights, or cannot be applied via airport waitlist exCDG?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't useable CDG, aren't useable for AF flights, or cannot be applied via airport waitlist exCDG?
I'm on DL metal, which I insist on, but you're right as to, I believe the rule is in regard to that they're not useable at the airport. I would never expect in a zillion years that they'd release any inventory in advance. I have never used the old SWUs, so I can't say from experience, but, I can only go by what I've read here.

I suppose that I could call from Europe on Mar 1 to see if by some miracle, there's availability, and if so, see if I can get the new Global Certs quickly and snag the UG.

Do the SWUs appear immediately when you select them? I know the $200 ECVs take a day or 2.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:27 am

I'm on DL metal, which I insist on, but you're right as to, I believe the rule is in regard to that they're not useable at the airport. I would never expect in a zillion years that they'd release any inventory in advance. I have never used the old SWUs, so I can't say from experience, but, I can only go by what I've read here.

I suppose that I could call from Europe on Mar 1 to see if by some miracle, there's availability, and if so, see if I can get the new Global Certs quickly and snag the UG.

Do the SWUs appear immediately when you select them? I know the $200 ECVs take a day or 2.
Is there a way to see the detailed T&C for the new upgrade instruments before March 1 or before selecting them? Also, do we know how quickly they can be used after being selected? Do they appear in the account instantly?

IME the old SWUs mostly appeared almost instantly, even though the email confirmation took a day or two. Most recently, a DL DM agent could see them in my account and use them before I could see them. The time line was online selection (few hours) DL agent can find/use (few hours) I can see in my account (~24 hours) email confirmation of selection with SWU numbers listed.

You could be our first test case of how available inventory is and how easy it is to use the new Global Upgrades.

ADDED: You might to think in advance about whether you would want to select the GUs at all or select them on March 1 if upgrade inventory isn't available for your flight exCDG. If you're going to pick them anyway, the only cost would be the earlier than necessary expiration date if they can't be used for the early March flight. In this case, would it make sense to go online early on March 1 to pick them in order to maximize the odds of the GUs being in your account if/when there's inventory to confirm the upgrade?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 1, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Not seeing that rule. This is the only reference I am aware of relating to the new Global certs and CDG...

Applicable Routes: Valid only for travel on routings with a published upgradeable Economy class fare. Valid for use on one-way travel on published fares and routings systemwide for flights operated by Delta Air Lines or Delta Connection carriers. For travel on KLM: valid for use on one-way travel systemwide. For travel on Air France: valid for one-way one cabin upgrade travel between US and Paris (CDG) operated by Air France flights equipped with Premium Voyageur cabin. Air France flights operated by 747 equipment are not eligible.
Since you are flying DL metal, this rule won't apply to you. Is there another rule that talks about ex-CDG?

Before you contact DL, check seating capacity. If you are lucky and Y is oversold, you may sit up front without using a cert.

DL used to say that SWU's will post to the account within 72 hours. IME it was a day or two. Expecting the same time frame for the new certs but this is new so who knows.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Charter DM 2.5MMer, former NW Gold/Platinum ('91-'04), HH Diamond
Waiting to try the new certs. No travel scheduled before 1 March. Losing unused two SWUs that expire this month.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SeoulGold
Waiting to try the new certs. No travel scheduled before 1 March. Losing unused two SWUs that expire this month.
Ouch. Can't you book something in advance where the upgrades con be confirmed now? It would just mean giving money to DL early (or paying credit card interest charges).
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

Ouch. Can't you book something in advance where the upgrades con be confirmed now? It would just mean giving money to DL early (or paying credit card interest charges).
As far as I know, they can't be used for travel after the expiration date.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SeoulGold
As far as I know, they can't be used for travel after the expiration date.
No, that's my point. The current SWUs CAN be used for travel after the expiration date. The restriction is that the SWUs must be applied to a ticketed itinerary and the upgrade must be confirmed before the expiration date. So if you have SWUs expiring this month, try to ticket a trip using them before the end of the month, assuming that you know destination and dates at this point. [There was a question in another thread, AFAIK not resolved, about what happens if only some segments can be confirmed before the expiration date and whether the other segments can be upgraded with the same (expired by then) SWUs if upgrade space becomes available later or at the gate.]
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Not seeing that rule. This is the only reference I am aware of relating to the new Global certs and CDG...
Under: GLOBAL UPGRADE TERMS & CONDITIONS

Item #10:

Airport Standby: If an upgrade for the SkyMiles member and companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist at least three hours prior to departure, then the SkyMiles member and companion may request to be placed on the Airport Standby List, provided that request is made no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time. Airport standby is not available on Air France or KLM operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS, BOM and CDG.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:25 pm

No, that's my point. The current SWUs CAN be used for travel after the expiration date. The restriction is that the SWUs must be applied to a ticketed itinerary and the upgrade must be confirmed before the expiration date. So if you have SWUs expiring this month, try to ticket a trip using them before the end of the month, assuming that you know destination and dates at this point. [There was a question in another thread, AFAIK not resolved, about what happens if only some segments can be confirmed before the expiration date and whether the other segments can be upgraded with the same (expired by then) SWUs if upgrade space becomes available later or at the gate.]
One time, when I was trying to use an almost-ready-to-expire SWU, I was told by the agent that it could not be used because it expired before the flight. In any case, my next trip is an already booked BC award trip in April. For a May trip I am planning to use the free Companion Certificate for which the base ticket is not upgradable. Other travel later in the year is business related for which I have to go through our travel agent process so they can't be booked early or direct with DL.

But I've used my other SWUs for the year so I can't complain.

It will be interesting to see how the new Hawaii-Mainland complementary upgrades work-out in practice. Wonder what the upgrade lists will be like?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Under: GLOBAL UPGRADE TERMS & CONDITIONS

Item #10:

Airport Standby: If an upgrade for the SkyMiles member and companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist at least three hours prior to departure, then the SkyMiles member and companion may request to be placed on the Airport Standby List, provided that request is made no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time. Airport standby is not available on Air France or KLM operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS, BOM and CDG.
Thanks for posting, got it. For the new Global certs, no waitlist or standby for AF/KL (just like old SWUs). However, unlike the old certs, now if you dont clear by T-3 hrs with DL, you are sol if flying from AMS/BOM/CDG. Weird rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.